Modding Help Creating New Emotion Tiles

Discussion in 'Mods' started by AlisterAzimuth, Oct 12, 2016.

1. AlisterAzimuth

AlisterAzimuth Scruffy Nerf-Herder

EDIT: So that I have all the code lined up, the next issue I have is giving the other characters permission to arrive in the caves to retrieve the fallen player (as for me to allow them to be part of the code at ALL, I need to include the setup that Maru has, as in the Spouse NotSpouse lines:

its fine2.png

Of course I still have customization to do regarding actual lines, but here's a tidbit of what it looks like so far. I have the $11 in place for the tiles, which are all done and ready to go, just need to be made transparent:

X GONNA GIVE IT TO YA.png

But with this I hit another snag that I mentioned above, giving the spouses the same permissions as Clint, Linus, Robin, and Maru do.

I'd assumed that tracking down the event in question I could see the math behind the game's decision making in choosing who goes to retrieve you, but instead I'm greeted with this small bit here:

PlayerKilled: "none/-100 -100/farmer 19 10 2 {0} 18 10 1/pause 1500/showFrame 5/message \" ...{2}?\"/pause 1000/message \" {2}, wake up!\"/viewport 19 10 true/pause 1000/speak {0} {1}/move {0} 0 3 2/warp {0} -100 -100/showFrame 0/pause 1000/emote farmer 28/minedeath/end" #!String

And this is where I'm particularly stuck. I dug into the actual .exe to see if I needed something from there, but nothing I could find dictated which NPCs could actually go out of their way to the mines... Am I doing something wrong or overly complicated in turn of a simple solution?

Cheers!

ORIGINAL POST UNDER SPOILER

So I have a goal in mind when I'm asking this, stemmed from two crucial things:
    ONE: The expression your spouse makes whenever they find you unconscious in the cave, for some, doesn't suit my tastes (IE. Shane looking like he essentially scraped poop off his shoe despite his dialogue (albeit default) stating that he 'cried when he saw your limp body':
    noemote.png
    As much as I love his standoff-ish nature, even in marriage, I feel like this is just well... not very fitting.
    SO... What I need help with is to create a whole new portrait tile, dedicated just for this particular scene, because I'm anal about that kind of stuff. Now the sprite editing I have no problem with, I know how to use XNBNode to export .xnb files no problem, and repacking them. But I can't figure out where/which file that dictates the tiles names to accompany the dialogue when prompted.

For example, the line of code with the (I presume) command to show a certain portrait emote is in this line:

Mines_PlayerKilled_Spouse_PlayerMale: "You were gone so long I started to get worried about you! I started crying when I saw your limp body...$s" #!String
    What I want to do is find the file that contains the commands for '$s' and edit it to include one extra emote, so that way instead of Shane's bitter face, it can be this for this particular piece of dialogue (edited in as example of desired results):

datemote.png
    And to add onto this, once I can figure out and master this particular bit of coding, you can bet I'll do this for every bachelor/bachelorette that has a stoic response to essentially finding the loves of their lives unconscious and beaten up.

And as for the second crucial thing: How come only Penny gets to shed tears when her heart's ripped from her chest? I say nay, let them ALL CRY.

Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    • elly3773

elly3773 Void-Bound Voyager

the easiest way would be to replace $s with a number value like $12 since each different face is a number starting at 0 at the top left and depending on the npc it will end with something different so to make it easier for you I will give you an edited version of the extradialogue.xnb and the spouse's png sheets so they all use the same number then you just have to put your image in the space left of the blue square and repack, also Maru has different dialogue for the event under Mines_PlayerKilled_Maru_Spouse I've edited it so the last dialogue line shows the image space used by all the others but you could either choose to replace it with the generic spouse dialogue or rewrite it.

On another note the spouses change the dialogue slightly depending on the characters gender so you could use the blue square for one and the empty one for the other, you would just have to edit the extradialogue.xnb from $12 to $13 to use the blue square instead.but I haven't tested that so it might mess up.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5cf5tii0x069z0n/extended.zip

foghorn likes this.
      • AlisterAzimuth

AlisterAzimuth Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Whoa, thanks! This is more than enough of what I need, thank you! Now it's just a matter of setting everything up and beta testing!

• elly3773

elly3773 Void-Bound Voyager