1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

'Creative' difficulty

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Event Horizon, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Event Horizon

Event Horizon Big Damn Hero

• Ability to give yourself any item and any number of items you wish.
    • Obviously does not save progress.
    • You can only use items you've logged, to encourage playing through the actual game first
    • Possibly even the ability to spawn monsters and such as well.
    One member of the forums stated it could also create cases where players are challenged to play a game with a specific, permanent set of items to see how far they can get with them. Maybe this can be an actual implementation down the road.

All logged items, in the order they appear in the log, are placed at the bottom of your screen as if you had every single item you've currently logged in the game, except they are 50% more transparent than if you had them.
    Clicking on an item will add one to your item count, and add 50% opaque-ness to show you've acquired the item. Right clicking will take one away.

On the very left side of the screen, there will be a picture of each drone (they're small enough to fit there) that are also all 50% transparent. You acquire drones the same way as items. You can add and remove drones as you wish. This could also possibly be implemented to other difficulty modes to show how many drones you have and of what type!

Shrooblord, Zetsuen and Rawrquaza like this.
    • Rawrquaza

Rawrquaza Existential Complex

I have mixed feelings about something like this. On one hand, having a non-cheatengine offical "challenge run" mode or something would be cool, but I kinda feel like people would just use that mode like a godmode and it would cheapen the game a little?

• Event Horizon

This is why I included the part on only being able to use logged items. You can only log items in normal and hardcore mode, so the creative mode is to be seen as a little toy to have fun with after you've played through the game a little.

• okok111

okok111 Pangalactic Porcupine

Big question, what about drones? How would you unlock them?

• Rawrquaza

Yeah, I could definitely get behind it. Especially if it had to be unlocked with some sort of devious challenges or something.

Edit:

Maybe have a checkbox that would allow you to go through gameplay as normal, buying items from chests and stuff as well as drones, etc.

Shrooblord likes this.
            • Anonymous

Anonymous Forum Bot

For the record, I know of no way for cheat engine to be used for grabbing items and drones and such. All I know of is editing stats and money.

• Rawrquaza

Since items are generated upon chest opening/boss death, I'm pretty sure a script to force a specific drop is possible, it's just that nobody's written it yet. It would be kinda nice to have that feature in this hypothetical mode.

• Event Horizon

Oh, you know I totally overlooked that. Let me post my suggestion for that here as well as edit the OP:

The way I can see this being implemented goes as such:
                  All logged items, in the order they appear in the log, are placed at the bottom of your screen as if you had every single item you've currently logged in the game, except they are 50% more transparent than if you had them.
                  Clicking on an item will add one to your item count, and add 50% opaque-ness to show you've acquired the item. Right clicking will take one away.

On the very left side of the screen, there will be a picture of each drone (they're small enough to fit there) that are also all 50% transparent. You acquire drones the same way as items. You can add and remove drones as you wish. This could also possibly be implemented to other difficulty modes to show how many drones you have and of what type!

okok111 likes this.
                  • Rawrquaza

I would prefer that to be in a menu, perhaps an additional option on pressing escape would bring up a list of all the items/drones? I feel like there'd be too much visual clutter, and dealing with adding items when there are enemies killing you would be annoying.

Shrooblord likes this.
                    • Event Horizon

Hmm, not a bad idea either. I just figured being able to add and remove stuff without having to resort to a menu would be more user friendly. Either way is a decent idea.

Rawrquaza likes this.
                      • okok111

That would be awesome, and we could also sneak drone healthbars somewhere in there! :D Only problem is the people who'd just randomly add stuff during a challenge run (I'd admit, I'd be tempted) so maybe instead of a checkbox like rawrquaza suggested, maybe you could have a button, where upon pressing it you'd be permanently thrown into a normal game with the stuff you gave yourself. Maybe also add an option to turn off the ability to open chests (and shrines and stuff) and for bosses not to drop items. This could have it so that the game could generate levels as normal, and just have the chests and shrines and stuff not interactable. This'd be useful for the "challenge runs".

• Event Horizon

I was thinking maybe if we're going to go that direction, you would press a key (perhaps U) for 'developer' mode (and back to normal mode as well) as well as a toggle for the difficulty level (perhaps H). In developer mode, you can add/remove drones and items. In normal mode, well... that speaks for itself.

• okok111

Sounds like a plan, but any other keys that are needed should be relatively far away from the normal controls so they arent accidentally bumped.

• Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

Okay, this is great, except for the name. PLEASE call it Debug Mode, PLEASE!

Shrooblord, Zetsuen and Event Horizon like this.
                              • Zetsuen

Zetsuen Master Chief

I'm definitely down for this, I'd love to see this get implemented in a future update or in the final release, messing around on cheat engine only let me change the visual amount of items I had on the bottom, not the actual effect, just the same way changing your level only changes it visually. And I agree with Excavater9 in calling it Degub Mode.

• GERCharon

GERCharon Starship Captain

I would like some kind of a mode in which you can get better starting conditions, the more you play. As example you could buy starting items, begin with more money/health/exp, or even upgrade the level up behaviour like +4 attack/level instead of 3. You must unlock those "upgrades" with the score points you earn in normal or hardcore mode, or some currency that is rarely dropped by bosses. Of course, it has to be a new game mode in order to not loose the competitive character of the game.

Event Horizon likes this.
                                  • Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

Probability 0 does this with it's "Karma" difficulty.
                                    EDIT: Not saying your idea is bad, I'm saying it's good.