Critter Capturing

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by DarkHypno, Aug 25, 2015.

1. DarkHypno

DarkHypno Subatomic Cosmonaut

Okay. So, the new update was just released (OHBOYOHBOYOHBOY) for stable, and I haven't played too much of it yet. I mean, my suggestion might even already be implemented in the game. But, that aside, here it is. One of my favorite new additions so far has got to be the critters, as they are all extremely creative, cute, and overall just fun to look at. Now, I think there should be a craftable aquarium or tank that you could capture and put critters in. (Somewhat similar to Terraria, I guess) Each critter should have it's own animation in the tank. Nothing special like feeding or playing with them. That would take quite a bit of code. I'd just like to have a way to keep those awesome little creatures with my character, and I think this would be perfect. I mean, I would literally pay for DLC just to get this one touch. (But please don't actually do that. Thank you.) Maybe it's just me, but maybe something that small would make a big addition to the environment.

Jappards, Yzzey, MacieD8810 and 2 others like this.
  2. Nos37

Nos37 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I totally agree. I think it would be great to capture the little critters for decor.

What I suggest is making the Bug Net upgrade into the Critter Net, allowing players to catch both bugs and critters alike. When the Critter Net catches a critter, a pet cage item should drop for the player to pick up.

Here's an image to help explain:
    [​IMG]

Yzzey and foreck like this.
  3. DarkHypno

DarkHypno Subatomic Cosmonaut

That's some incredible pixel-art! Looks like it was taken straight from the game. This is the most perfect representation of what I mean possible.

Nos37 likes this.
  4. Taskmaster

Taskmaster Void-Bound Voyager

I really love this idea! I was sad when I found out I couldn't capture them. Especially the bunnies, since they come as ship pets for Avians you'd think they'd be capturable like dogs..

5. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

I've incorporated such an idea into my Assorted Crafting Things mod already back in August. Matter of fact, I'm on the nightly updating every week or so, and there's 100+ critters. Each one has an item you get from catching them with a net. Some are in cages, some in fish bowls, some in terrariums. Every critter that gets added will be included.

I share your interest in catching small critters. Nothing like taking a harmless animal from its home and forcing it to be a lovely ornament on my soon-forgotten space camp.

6. silentwisher

silentwisher Orbital Explorer

Oh man I would love to have a little aquarium of critters.

7. foreck

foreck Scruffy Nerf-Herder

agreed

8. YoruToboe

YoruToboe Void-Bound Voyager

I totally agree. . . Hopefully they add this because i tried using the web on those little guys:

[​IMG]

Hoping i could catch it and put somewhere on my base because they are cute and shiny. . . Sadly wasn't the case. . . Hopping for bunnies and other little critters too. . .

9. Nos37

Nos37 Subatomic Cosmonaut

With the new 1.1 update you should be able to use the Re-locator Tool to move critters and fish from one place to another. I don't think they can be placed in empty aquariums/cages, so you'll have to make a custom pen out of blocks.