Crop thoughts from a real farmer!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by madpluck, Apr 22, 2016.

1. madpluck

madpluck Void-Bound Voyager

I'm a small organic farmer (looks a lot like playing your first Spring in Stardew Valley) and here are some thoughts I have on the crops already in-game:
    Kale: Kale is not a "one and one" like cabbage or cauliflower. The plant grows a tall upright stalk about nipple-high, and the leaves are cut from it individually, and can be harvested from for MONTHS. It can be grown equally well in the spring and the fall.
    Strawberry: Although it's always been a Spring crop in HM, these plants do not reliably bear fruit until summer.
    Blueberry: these are a perennial; they do not really produce a cropload of fruit until their second year, but I understand it would be weird to have "bushes" in addition to trees, which is really how blackberries and blueberries grow.
    Corn: Corn is almost always planted for a single harvest. It takes forever to produce, and produces a tonne once it's ready, but most farmers harvest from a plant once or twice and then cut it down.
    Melon/Pumpkin: technically these plants produce for quite a while, producing several fruits that ripen over time for multiple harvests.
    Radish: Radishes are a spring crop. Period. Plant them in the summer and they will go to seed before you can harvest them. They hate summer heat.
    Beet: Beets are a Spring/Summer crop.
    Bok Choy/Cabbage: Can be planted in Spring or Fall.
    Eggplant: Is a summer crop, and is usually planted at the exact same time as peppers and tomatoes, which are their cousins.
    I'm just tellin' @ConcernedApe what life is really like on a farm in a temperate zone (these times are just as valid for a farm in Wisconsin as they are for a farm in North Carolina).

• Aemi

Aemi Starship Captain

i think the crop times were based more on Harvest Moon who had to fiddle with a 4 month year rather than a 12 so some substantial wiggle room was needed.
      However, some realism would have been nice.

That and the return of Harvest Moon's corn. It looked like a specific part of male anatomy that the forum's word filter catches.
      I miss that.

• Mythoss

Mythoss Subatomic Cosmonaut

Really neat, thanks for sharing. I like the idea of crops that take 2 years before the bare more fruit. Hops and grapes are like this as well (basically all vine plants). Likewise a crop like strawberries having to be planted in the spring and harvested in the summer would be neat. You'd have to manage your long term investments. I also like the idea of corn being a one time crop that produced a BUNCH. Likewise, crops that can be grown all year would be neat. I'd like to use melon and pumpkins fixed to produce multiple.

• Nurio

Nurio Cosmic Narwhal

If your male anatomy looks yellow and bumpy, I'd contact a doctor if I were you

Gabaw, GARRthePIRATE, Xylia and 2 others like this.
          • Aemi

Aemi Starship Captain

not the yellow ones! there was a few games that had green ones that when they were ready to pick they looked decisively like male anatomy! complete with shaft and glans! there was a lot of giggling about it on the forums for a while ^_^

• Nurio

Nurio Cosmic Narwhal

If it looks green, it's not any better!

Gabaw and Xylia like this.
              • Aemi

Aemi Starship Captain

the -shape- ya doof :p
                thankfully no part of me is green except my eyes!

Nurio likes this.
                • Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I'm laughing at how fast an innocent conversation about food can turn into something entirely else, like genitalia.

• Aemi

Aemi Starship Captain

what can i say? i really loved the design of my field of genitalia corn! lol

Gabaw and ssokolow like this.
                    • Mythoss

Mythoss Subatomic Cosmonaut

Also cranberries grow in a bog along with rice. They feel pretty funky as is. I suggest when you plant them the ground tile changes to a mini swampy water tile.

ssokolow likes this.
                      • GARRthePIRATE

GARRthePIRATE Big Damn Hero

Pretty sure there is no such thing as a jewl berry... but what do I know? Im not a farmer IRL.

• Aemi

Aemi Starship Captain

could be the local name for something that we have a different name for. some berries are pretty shiny like small gems!

• GARRthePIRATE

GARRthePIRATE Big Damn Hero

What about Stardrops? Thats a funky looking fruit!

Gabaw likes this.
                            • Gabaw

Gabaw Spaceman Spiff

Psst, hey. I'll let you in on Stardew Valley's secret trade. Grow starfruit in the summer then bring them to Leah after midnight. She'll bore, cut and paint them purple. Sell 'em to Krobus who then marks it up 2,000%. All the rest of these suckers spend 20K on one and you get a nice cut. Tell no one or else. Deal?

ssokolow and GARRthePIRATE like this.