Cursor-based attack variants for melee and ranged weapons

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by LostSeeker, Sep 11, 2016.

1. LostSeeker

LostSeeker Subatomic Cosmonaut

I may have posted a similar thread to this in the past, but I feel as if the last one left ranged weapons out of the mix. Anyways, to the point.

Basically the attacks of your weapons will behave differently based on whether your cursor is above you, below you, or right on top of you, as well as distance away from your character. Sounds confusing? Lemme elaborate by giving an example for a melee weapon in this style.

You could end up with a broadsword that would do a spin slash when the cursor is right on top of you. a rising slash when you have the cursor high above your character, and a pogo sword when it's below you and in the air. When it comes to combat, you generally want to keep your cursor fixed on the target, and these situational attacks can aid in how you assault your targets from varying positions.

For ranged weapons, they may end up having varying specials based on distance. you could have a sniper rifle that performs marked shots when the cursor isn't within melee ranged of you, and then uses an energy lance to knock foes away when they come too close to you. Might even be able to apply something to the primary fire of pistols too, as I miss my old flamethrower pistols from past versions oddly enough.

It may be a bit tricky to apply this to staves and wands to be honest... Perhaps they could gain new attacks that are centered on or even orbit your character when you use them with the cursor right on top of yourself? For example, a simple radial shockwave attack to send foes flying away when they get too close could come in handy, as you're often quite vulnerable when charging and channeling many of the long ranged versions of these attacks.

So, thoughts?

2. voiditect

voiditect Scruffy Nerf-Herder

cool, make that a mod, or sugggest to devs.