Modding Help Custom Race Limitations? (Race Mod)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by ImHereForTheMods, Sep 6, 2019.

1. ImHereForTheMods

ImHereForTheMods Cosmic Narwhal

Hi all, I'm back into trying some starbound modding again...
    This time, I'm trying to make my own race, however there are a few limitations that are becoming particularly bothersome.
    It may be true that I am one to push the boundaries but...

1. Race sprites with taller head / longer neck wear hats waaaay too low...
    2. A longer muzzle is complicated by the existence of wearables such as masks, and goggles which pretty much limit you to a round head and particular eye placement.
    3. I would like to alter their body shape slightly and make them taller, but that would make many pieces of clothing (vanilla) fit weirdly or not at all.

I'm willing to settle with 3, would like to find a fix for 2 (it's not overly bothersome to me) but definitely would like to solve 1 somehow if possible as my race would have a longer neck. However these may be things I'll have to settle with, based on the way things seems to be laid out.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
    I'm thinking there has got to be a way...
    I'm new to this, so perhaps I am missing something, or perhaps not.
    I have checked the files for some vanilla assets, but my first thought doesn't appear possible. That is, of patching a new location for these items for my race.
    The positioning seems to rely entirely upon sprites.

If pics are necessary, please let me know.
    Thanks in advance.

2. DrPvtSkittles

DrPvtSkittles Master Astronaut

I can tell you as someone who made a longer muzzle race, you will have to accept that vanilla masks will simply not work. You would have to make custom versions of everything you want to work for your race.

Unless you made your muzzle a "beard" that could be hidden under hats n what not.

3. ImHereForTheMods

Fancy hearing from you, actually using your advanced race template. :nuruhappy:

Would it be possible to patch my sprite version of the wearable over vanilla, but *only* for my race somehow? Or would I just have to go with separate craftable wearables for my race?
    (just curious)

That's a good suggestion, will look into it. Though, not too too overly worried about masks as I don't really use them.
    The race I'm working on would look odd without a longer muzzle... Actually a horse race I am working on atm.

Lots to be done yet...

4. DrPvtSkittles

DrPvtSkittles Master Astronaut

5. ImHereForTheMods

Cool, will try, thanks!