Customizable ammunition, anyone?

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by Zeldo, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Zeldo

Zeldo Big Damn Hero

If there's going to be countless types of guns, why not countless types of ammunition? And I don't quite mean different ammo for different guns. I mean, ammunition causes different effects when used against another. Perhaps it can even affect the environment. For example, how about fire ammunition that sets the enemy on fire and causes extra damage? Also, if it's shot at a flammable surface or object, it could cause it to burn.

Sure, this may bring up the concern of griefing, but don't you think there'll already be a huge amount of items that you could easily grief with?

To add to my idea, another suggestion of mine is the ability to create your own ammunition and adding what effects you would like. Why settle for just plain old fire ammo? Create EXPLOSIVE ICE AMMO if you really want to. The possibilities are endless. Go ahead and post your ideas for types of ammo and effects. Be as creative as you'd like to.

I'm not sure if the ammo type will be different between, say, a pistol and a shotgun. Either way, this could possibly work but would take more effort to create the types of ammo you want for the specific firearm you want to use.

2. Marsgreekgod

Marsgreekgod Big Damn Hero

I rather have no ammo myself!

I do wonder if ammo will be limited in this game at all, but then you could still have ammo types with out ammo (just having an unlimited thing you can put with each gun, something like mass effect one)

But honestly, if there is ammo, it should be like this for a game of this nature, mabey even if there isn't currently ammo. Its such a good idea, I assume it's already in/planed

3. ZeroHunter

ZeroHunter Subatomic Cosmonaut

(warning: small wall of text.)
    How about this: within beginning the game, we start having to use basic ammunition. Oi, you've lost your homeland by hostile beings(I maybe wrong here)that brutally destroyed everything it its path and ended up settleling in an abandoned Space Station, you'd barely have time to take with you your own clothes! but later on, as you expand the station, you could wander into a weapons factory part of the station, by that point you can begin customize your ammunition(based on materials you've gathered and out of the bio-weaponry the species you've captured have). By that point it would still be tedious to get ammuniton, but if you go on and advance your tecnology high enough, you could end up making an ammunition creating module that when installed to the certain ranged weapon(It can be removed, its gonna be universal module) it can make the bullet it is designed to use(giving more reason to make your own custom ammo) on the fly! Yet to make sure it isn't OP it is powered by a special generator that, won't give you infinite bullets, if you don't let that generator rest, it will shut down to recharge(think of it as an overheat). Still giving reason to make physichal ammo but making it slightly easier to deal with enemies at range.

What do you think? Or is it too linear?

4. Ethric

Ethric Phantasmal Quasar

Incendiary ammo, explosive ammo, freezing bullets, piercing bullets, the possibilities are endless!

An idea although would be that ammo that you create is limited in numbers, but when the player has no bullets, they use the default bullets which do only the weapon's base damage (as opposed to crafted bullets adding damage) but are as far as ammunition amount is concerned.

5. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves Starship Captain

This is pretty much exactly how I would like the ammo system to work. I don't know why there isn't more games who use that kind of thing. I played Dragon Age and I liked that system, even though that and Starbound are two completely different types of games.

6. Marsgreekgod

7. Marsgreekgod

Yes I know. he is talking only about ammo, you are talking about ammo and other things. ammo alone is idea that can be talked about

8. Ethric

Ethric Phantasmal Quasar

Your thread is talking about customizable weapons in general, but Zeldo is doing a more 'in-depth' of custom ammo. Plus, this thread was created before yours, if that means anything.

9. SandStorm778

SandStorm778 Void-Bound Voyager

That would be really cool but maybe there could be Text Bullets that would look like lol or lol or something like that and when it hit it would make a typing sound. This has no point eccept

10. Explosive rounds. AWWW YEAA

11. Explosive rounds- Blow up the Terrain. (Do I even have to say it? Ok...) AWW YEAA

12. Jermex

Jermex The Stampede Forum Moderator

From my understanding, one of the reasons this may not happen is because they want to limit the type of weapons you can use as part of your tech tree progression.

as you Tech up, you can make ammo for more advanced weapons.
    this way those advanced weapons can't be exploited early in the game.

13. Dukie

Dukie Void-Bound Voyager

I say, this is a great idea. This game (from what I have read) has many many levels of customization. I would personally love to have custom ammo to go along with my favorite customized gun. Why not! Incendiary, poisoned, explosive, freezing, tracer rounds, maybe even combine effects with a special machine?! "Dukie Custom Rounds" would be nice. =)

14. Keirndmo

Keirndmo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Flaming ice bullets.
    Mind=Blown.