1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Damage on Touch and Combat with Gloves

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Another Kevin, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

Yo, whuzzuuuuuuuup? :lickitung:

So, i started a new character, went to a desert planet and met my first unsc base in glad giraffe, and i had to realize that the robots do damage on touch damage.

So, i went to him, with my mike tyson bird , went into walk mode to do the boxer's footwork and i realized : Even though he's not using his weapon, i'm having a hard time simply because of DOT . When i fought humanoids, i wasn't having that problem , because they needed to use their weapons to hurt me , so i was wondering why exactly that bot could hurt me without using his weapon? I think that mobs with a weapon should get their DOT removed due to logic sense.

Second thing: The mike tyson playstyle.

I also realized how vulnerable i was. I could neither block nor stay distanced to the DOT enemy (yaaay) even though my character had his fists up as if he was blocking when i wasn't punching ( yes i know, it looks better this way, but still ) . My idea was : If you use two fist weapons and you are standing , non-attacking, a single incoming attack ( melee) should be blocked, then a cooldown would start and the gloves start to glow as if they were overheated . This would somehow give the boxer the chance to rearrange his position ( i really love energy dash whenever i play with gloves, it makes me feel like an insanely quick boxing champ) .

Oh and.. When i spam left + right click to keep my enemy in the air, he still does DOT even though i feel like i'm doing the craziest air combo ever. Enemies that got launched into the air shouldn't do DOT in my opinion, it just doesn't feel right, it's as if you get hit by your own snowball in a snowball fight .

No idea how often i died to that , lol.

Last but not least : The "Gauntlet" is the best fist weapon, simply because it makes you feel like Vi , deal with it :disshappy:

2. KatherineOfSky

KatherineOfSky Big Damn Hero

You make some excellent points. It is because of the super-short range on fist weapons and touch damage that I never use the fist weaps. I had fun trying them out, but it seemed to me that it wasn't really a viable/quick means of killing mobs.

Incidentally, I found that dual-wielding a Gauntlet & a Vine Fist makes a great combination. Make sure you combo with the Gauntlet to get the air knock-up; the Vine Fist gives you a bit more dps.

CorraidhĂ­n likes this.
  3. Another Kevin

Well nice point there with the vine fist, but if the DOT wouldn't be a thing, using two gauntlets simply is the guarantee'd knockup loop of death, but hey, you take damage on touch whenever you do the next knockup in your chain,so it's simply not viable at the moment. :nope:

4. KatherineOfSky

KatherineOfSky Big Damn Hero

Are you saying the combo isn't viable? ... or that fist weapons aren't viable?

If it's about the Vine + reg Gauntlet: all you need to do is click the left mouse button 3 times, and your combo knock-up will fire. (Make sure you have the regular gauntlet in the correct slot). It never alternates the combo type as long as you click the same button. (Alternatively, if you click RMB 3 times, you'll get the other fist weapon's combo).

5. Another Kevin

I'd say fist weapons aren't viable. As soon as you get a spear or a two handed sword with the uppercut or spin attack, you can do some sick left + right click air launch combos that just make the gauntlets look worthless.