Day/Night Cycles

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by RomanRecon, Feb 24, 2012.

1. RomanRecon

RomanRecon Void-Bound Voyager

So I've been looking at other posts trying to determine if this has already been brought up, but i haven't found anything on it. :[

I have noticed that there will be day/night cycles for planets.

My suggestion/idea is for each planet to have unique cycles, such that:

-No two days are the same length on different planets [Some planets have relatively short days, others very long days]
    -Planets can be part of binary star systems, or even a binary planet system
    -Some planets are in synchronous rotation with their host star [one half is always day, other half remains night]

Thanks for reading this,
    Roman

2. Blue-Demon

Blue-Demon Sandwich Man

As far as i know there is no difference between larger and smaller planets having different times of day. However i do like this idea.

3. Fuzions

Fuzions Zero Gravity Genie

I've recently posted something like this in another thread so I support it, naturally.
    Every planet is different, so the speed they rotate is also different, which means shorter or longer days.

4. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

The day/night cycle should DEFIANTLY be planet specific. If you have 1 sun normal time, 2 suns, lots O light, 3 suns... you got yourself a Farming Planet.

5. Blue-Demon

Blue-Demon Sandwich Man

from wiki.

I recently looked at the Q&A and i did not find anything time related with planets.

6. Gemini

Gemini Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think this idea sounds awesome. Something that might be good to add to this suggestion is for a planet's moon(if it were to have one) to sometimes be tidally locked with the planet, which is the term for synchronized rotation and orbit.

7. Epicface

Epicface Heliosphere

I hope the sun moves correctly, unlike terraria (no offense)

8. Blue-Demon

Blue-Demon Sandwich Man

Would be great if position of the moon effected the oceans in their perspective planets.

9. Xegan Hive

Xegan Hive Subatomic Cosmonaut

If there was a chance for eclipses I would be really happy

Daitenshi and Blue-Demon like this.
  10. Blue-Demon

Blue-Demon Sandwich Man

you get a like for that idea.

11. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

I love the idea of environmentally or Time Triggered Events. Such as, Say if we happened to visit a planet on a Eclipse certain rare monsters or Resources could be available.

Blue-Demon likes this.
  12. Blue-Demon

Blue-Demon Sandwich Man

I am sure it is possible to have certain plants to only bloom during solar eclipses on certain planets. As for animals maybe it would be the only chance when some of them actually come out from underground due to the large sun block.
    On a side note, like for you.

13. Daitenshi

^-^ Indeed. Nocturnal animals and Pure-Darkness animals/monsters could be available then. I love the idea of timing a expedition to get it to be nighttime AND an eclipse just to hunt down that ultra scary face noming monster.

14. KKslida

KKslida Big Damn Hero

3 suns = best tanning salon in the galaxy :p
    4 suns = YOUR ****in ROASTED my friend xD

15. Daitenshi

Wouldn't Proximity to four-said-suns be a significant factor in how ****in ROASTED we actually are?
    I digress
    More suns do allow for a rarer night time.

16. Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

I'm sure I read somewhere from one of the Developers that they are in fact including this in the game.

The possibility to come across a planet in eternal day, and eternal night. As well as varying times between both.

I don't have any evidence, I think it may have been in IRC, but I'm sure it was mentioned.

17. Daitenshi

Good to know! It seems only logical it would be.

18. Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

Here we go.

Daitenshi likes this.
  19. I'm so popular, being quoted all over the place. :p
    But yeah, there will be Day/Night cycles, perhaps different depeding on the planet. For example, if you're on, say, a fire planet, there might be like 80% day and 20% Night.

20. Zomgmeister

Zomgmeister Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Gravity-locked planets are fun!

Their day side tend to be extremely damn scorching hot. Basically, "lava" or at least "superheated desert" biome.

Their night side is usually frozen. And dark. Either "winter", "tundra", "arctic" or maybe even "it's so cold that air gets frozen, we *have* to use some special equipment if we are hoping to survive here" biome.

And their terminator zone, stripe of twilight between scorching sun and dead night, actually, can be kinda hospitable, theoretically with plants and animals.

Damn, this sort of planet seems fun! Especially if there are some ancient ruins on night side (and maybe on day side too), remains of long-lost time before this world was tidelocked.

Mellsbells likes this.