Tool Dedicated Server with Steam Workshop (auto updates/no linking or copying)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Zoomah, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Zoomah

Zoomah Big Damn Hero

Introduction

This is an easy solution for all those dedicated server admins out there. I wrote an easy to adjust batch file to do all the hard (and sometimes confusing) work for you. There are only a few steps to follow.

Steps
    1. Download the attached zip-file and open it
    2. Copy the 2 files in there over to your starbound directory, either into the win32 or win64 folder, depending which version you use.
    3. run the file "StartServerWithSteamMods.cmd" instead of "starbound_server.exe" from now on.
    Customizing

This can get handy if you want to run different configurations (or universes). Just make copies of both of my files with new names, adjust what you need and run from there.

srvinit.template.config

Here you can set a special storage directory for your server. You can also change the default bindings here, but only adjust those if you REALLY know what you're doing.

Also: Do NOT fix the JSON format! The batch file will add the brackets, which are needed for you.

StartServerWithSteamMods.cmd

You can set some filenames here. But leave all below the clearly marked delimiter in peace.

Summary

I hope this little piece helps you in future. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Changelog

2016-08-24:

- added another custom variable to the batch file

2016-08-25:

- removed that custom variable again since the server didn't like it after a bit (weird, but yeah)
    - implemented automatic lookup for the Steam directory (not all install their games into the steamdir)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Acarii and The | Suit like this.
  2. Acarii

Acarii Space Spelunker

This looks very useful, but no screenshots.

3. RedYoshikira

RedYoshikira Subatomic Cosmonaut

4. Claribee

Claribee Void-Bound Voyager

5. Zoomah

Zoomah Big Damn Hero

Well i didn't look into it since 1.2 .. so cll it out-dated until i have time to look into it