Complete Design a Weapon with Uni! (Prize = ANY game on Steam ≤ $40)

Discussion in 'Community Contests/Giveaways' started by null-a2, Jan 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. null-a2

null-a2 Guest

Hey, everyone!~
    [​IMG]
    "Uni reporting; I have a requisition for all of you."
    So I heard that there are a lot of talented people out there on this particular forum. I've come here today to offer each and every person a chance to design a gun for me.

Lastation is in desperate need of weapon designers, and I am willing to exchange your designs for any game of your choice (As long as it falls within range of course (^_−)☆)!

The rules for this contest are as follows:
    • Name your weapon and describe as much as possible the design concept of said weapon (i.e. What the weapon looks like, what it was designed to do, how it works, background story).
    • Assign your weapon a proper type. For example: Assault Rifle, Grenade Launcher, Railgun, Dual Wield Rocket Launchers (wait wat?), etc. For this reason, all weapons must be considered a firearm/small arms - a weapon that fires or launches a reasonable projectile (No melee weapons, magic staffs, rocket-propelled chainsaws, etc. You can however have Energy/Magic based firearms as long as you describe how it works within the weapon). A weapon can also be a combination of up to two weapons (i.e. Sniper Rifle/Shotgun).
    • (Optional) - Include an image of your design! If you decide not to include one, it will in no way affect your standing within the contest - it just helps me to visualize your gun ヽ(・∀・)ノ
    • (Important) - Contest lasts for 14 days beginning from the first poster, and ends with the top designer's weapon design posted under this list - which is decided by me. Afterwards, I will contact the winner directly through PM to discuss the distribution of the reward via Steam. However, if 8+ people join, time will be cut to 7 days (; ̄Д ̄)
    Now get out there and make it a clean fight. Good luck, and have fun!
    [​IMG]
    Kakushi Industries Type 47 M.A.W.S. (Modular assault weapon system)

The Type 47 was developed to supply frontline troops with an adaptable lightweight assault rifle with quickly exchangable parts for ease of maintenance and to adapt to any threat infantry might encounter on the battlefield while at the same time putting no undue stress on supply lines. Sights, barrels, handguards etc. can be switched in a matter of second without any special tools and allow for a wide variety of jobs this weapon can do. The receiver, handguard and other parts are made from lightweight polymers whereas the chamber, barrel and firing mechanism are constructed from stainless steel to assure functionality. This gas-delayed blowback operated firearm will operate without major malfunctions even under adverse environmental conditions such as extreme heat or cold, moisture, sand et cetera, and the reliable action ensures that jams are a very rare occurence. Another unique design feature is the stock which can be both folded and expanded, allowing operators to quickly reduce the length of the weapon in urban warfare and getting it back to normal in longer-range engagements. The reliable 6.6mm cartridge is impervious to moisture and is guaranteed to lethally expand on target, although this feature has raised some concern from human rights activists. One flaw some have pointed out is that the weapon is very light which reduces accuracy in fully-automatic fire because the gun can bounce up, necessitating additional foregrips or heavier barrels. By standard, this weapon is equipped with a diopter sight.

Initially the troops were sceptical, but field testing and actual combat experience have shown it to be a reliable workhorse for infantry of all branches. The extreme adaptability also takes stress from supply lines, because this weapon can within minutes or even seconds be transformed into a light machine gun, sniper rifle for medium ranges or even a gun turret with appropriate mounts. Optional accessories include additional sights, foregrips and bipods, heavier barrels for sustained fire, underslung additional weapon systems such as grenade launcher or shotguns, laser rangefinders, flash hiders, suppressors and conversion kits for different calibers. The default color supplied by the producer Kakushi Industries is black, but due to the ease of cleaning this weapon it can simply be spray-painted should the need arise. While it is not being exported to other countries and not available to the civilian market, the government claims as a unit price of 2570$ for the standard weapon and up to 6500$ for complete sets.

Name: Gambler's Requiem

Use: Unknown

How it works: Noted in story
    (( Note, I only got the idea, then found a fitting picture. ))
    [​IMG]

" Eh? So you wanna know about....that gun? Eh...If I've warned ya once, I've warned ya a hundred times. I wouldn't use it if i was you Uni....But, If ya need it that bad...It's a small, yet very...strange...the best way it can be described is as esotero-tech....It works on something that seems like magic, but fused with technology...It runs off a set of crystals suspended in a strange superfluid, and when the fluid is agitated by an electrical charge, the crystals resonate like quartz, but discharge down a lens, firing a superheated blast of anomalous light. It acts like it's kinetic and pure energy at the same time. It will knock ya off ya ass, while burnin a hole in ya.... The first guy that owned it was a gambler, surprise surprise, named Leon Bright. He didn't tell me where he got it, only that he won it in a bet against some....three eyed robot man....He was at first gonna sell it, but, it saved him. He was going to sell, and on the way he got jumped. He didn't kill the guys, but he injured them enough so they were rendered useless. So he thought it had good luck attached to it...well, he was wrong. Everything was on the up and up for him, his life goin great, got a girlfriend, house, good job....But, then came the curse. It seems the original owner of the gun was happy to get it gone, because someone was lookin' for him....One day, on the way home from work, he called his girlfriend. No answer. He just shrugged it off, but he knew something was off when he saw a group of shady guys at his house. He got out, holding a hand on his gun as he approached them.. One of them, a tall guy in a cloak, with a strange, maw like mouth addressed him. They said they wanted to know where the man was that gave him that gun. Leon told them he didn't know, and he won it in a bet. Then, they pulled out his girlfriend from behind him..The maw-mouthed man smiled cruelly...It was all over in an instant...one of them shot his girl, and he shot them all dead......After that, he tried to live with it, but everything went downhill...He even wound up killin himself with it...The only way I got it, is that he was my brother.....* Sigh* If you want it Uni, take care you have no-one you love...."

Starbound is really low on unique sniper rifles, and the ones we do have are all the same. Shoot, wait, shoot, wait, maybe you have a flashlight or a grenade somehow too. I like the tesla's wrath, but it's ridiculously rare (or I'm ridiculously unlucky!). I propose a sniper rifle with a laser aim. Nothing too special... but there's a twist! it can bounce of a wall or enemy three times. The laser reflects this like so: The laser is blue. when it hits a wall or enemy it bounces off and becomes green. When it hits another wall or enemy, it becomes red. When it hits another wall or enemy after that, it disappears, because that's where the bullet stops too. The rifle does above normal damage for its tier before a ricochet, about normal damage after one ricochet, and about 70% normal after two.
    Unofficial Stats:

Boatworthy's Deflection rifle
    X damage( you can set this depending on the tier you want it to be. I recommend 4th tier or higher due to the unique mechanic. )
    1.2 use time
    Special: Laser scope. Enables the laser scope, allowing pinpoint accuracy every time, even after two bounces. It disables energy regen, though, similarly to the marked shot special.
    20/35 energy cost (is this right? I've never really looked into appropriate energy usage for weapons of any given tier.
    [​IMG] Sorry it's so big lol
    If you're curious about the name, It's one of a couple usernames I use semifrequently.
    Feel free to change whatever you like!

...As for technical stuff, This gun fires durasteel rounds. They have a very unique shape. They look like a normal bullet, with two major modifications: firstly, they have a rounded tip. this allows for their characteristic ricocheting ability, but also makes them ever-so slightly less potent than other sniper rifle rounds. Fortunately, this is more than counterbalanced by the force needed to propel such a projectile in such a manner. Secondly, they have six fins, which force he barrel to be oddly shaped, but provide pinpoint accuracy, even after two ricochets.

As for the laser aim, it uses a mechanism in the scope to generate millions of tiny semimagnetic ferrous particulates. It then projects those particulates out of the scope, and electrocutes them, causing them to glow blue. After each wall they bounce off, they lose a little magnetic energy, and some of them disperse, leading to a decreased wavelength, green. After hitting a second object, they disperse further, and lose more energy, leading to a red color. After this, the wavelength enters the infrared spectrum, and is only visible to certain creatures, none of which are playable races in starbound.

History:

Boatworthy's Deflection rifle was invented by Boatworthy, a Novakid inventor who had no particular motivations for inventing it, but thought it would be really cool. Unfortunately, there might have been only one ever made, had he not been an enterprising young fellow who had great fun with this toy (weapon, but it was fun enough it was pretty much a toy.) and proceeded to tell anyone he met about it. Within a few years, the miniknog heard of it, and basically claimed the Idea was their own. It was almost standard issue for the miniknog for a long time, until a major defeat at one of their factories forced it so stop being mass produced. Now, it's pretty much a weapon that's been passed down from people's grandfathers, and no one really knows who made it, other than by its unofficial name. It's a heck of a lot of fun, though.

By the way, I'd like to thank the devs of starbound for making starbound's weapons so diverse. You're never afraid to make a novelty weapon awesome, which not too many games do.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2017
    Surenu and Arra like this.
  2. Unikram

Unikram Industrial Terraformer

Here's my entry:
    Name: Peyev RV-10 (raketna-vintovka 10)
    Weapon Type: Anti-tank rifle.
    It's basically a bolt-action anti-tank rocket launcher.

It was patented by weapons designer Grigur Peyev in 1915, and saw real use during the first world war.
    With the evolution of tank technology in the Eastern Front, the Russian Empire had no real weapon to use against their enemies.

One day, however, Mr. Grigur Peyev, a Ukrainian weapons designer from Kiev, had been assigned to patent and distribute an effective anti-tank weapon
    (nobody knows why him, because there were thousands more people with more skill).
    He had the brilliant idea of a bolt-action rifle with a large receiver so it could chamber larger explosive rounds.

So he attempted to do it. And boy he did it.
    The weapon, finally finished at the 10th try, was named the "Raketna-Vintovka 10" (rocket rifle 10)
    With 20 kilograms in weight, it shred through metal and steel.
    Firing 20 cm long explosive shells, it had an extended receiver and a larger barrel, and could chamber 3 rounds.

Every single copy was equipped with a bipod and scope.
    With about 200 000 copies made, and around 50 000 enemy tanks shred to bits,
    it also saw use during the Russian Civil War, World War 2 and even used by the Vietnamese during the Vietnam war.

Truly it was a brilliant idea (too bad it isn't real)
    Here is a nice picture of what I meant (it comes with gratis horrible spriting skills)
    [​IMG]
    (also if anyone knows tell me how to remove white borders I am desperate)

null-a2 and D.M.G. like this.
  3. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Welp, let's talk about a weapon I sorta made in Starbound (JSON's and stuff):

The weapon is named the V.G.T., which stands for Very Good Trip.
    Althought it is shaped like a single-barrelled grenade launcher, the barrel is loaded with a smoke capsule.
    Those capsule comes with different variant: poison smoke, healing smoke, buffing smoke, and such.
    Due to the highly compressed quantity of smoke in the capsule, it'll disintegrate right after it is shot, but is meant to.
    The V.G.T. has low range, 2 to 3 meters maximum.

The capsule is loaded by a generator loacted in the weapon's butt.
    The generator itself is powered by the energy cell of the user, so as long as the user have energy, the weapon can shoot.
    On the left side of the middle of the weapon comes a screen, with three buttons: two for circling between the different smoke types, and a third one located between the two others, fo loading the capsule in.

(JSON wise backstory)
    In Starbound, I did make that VGT, altho it doesn't look like it does in my description and fire only healing smoke. I had quite a bit of trouble to make it efficient, cuz I didn't realize at that time that the smoke wasn't providing direct heal, but a healing buff, so I thought I'd put the DPS high, so it would affect the effectiveness of the heal... So I ended up killing NPCs while I wanted to help them xD

(Lore wise story)
    When I built the VGT, I was coming back from a long period of tests ran on gas, and ended up doing horrible things.
    So when I discovered that red gas, I knew I could do something good with it.
    I think the most difficult part was to find the correct material for the capsules. I used a old material that was fairly common on Earth, a few centuries ago: kevlar.
    If hardened corectly, it become solid enough to be resistant, yet it leaves few to no leftovers while bursting.

It's not exactly meant to fully heal someone, mostly to keep the wounded one alive till they receive appropriate medical care.
    I guess it could be fine for small wounds tho...

null-a2 and Unikram like this.
  4. Arra

Arra The End of Time

Name: Gambler's Requiem

Use: Unknown

How it works: Noted in story
    (( Note, I only got the idea, then found a fitting picture. ))
    Gamblers reqium.jpg

" Eh? So you wanna know about....that gun? Eh...If I've warned ya once, I've warned ya a hundred times. I wouldn't use it if i was you Uni....But, If ya need it that bad...It's a small, yet very...strange...the best way it can be described is as esotero-tech....It works on something that seems like magic, but fused with technology...It runs off a set of crystals suspended in a strange superfluid, and when the fluid is agitated by an electrical charge, the crystals resonate like quartz, but discharge down a lens, firing a superheated blast of anomalous light. It acts like it's kinetic and pure energy at the same time. It will knock ya off ya ass, while burnin a hole in ya.... The first guy that owned it was a gambler, surprise surprise, named Leon Bright. He didn't tell me where he got it, only that he won it in a bet against some....three eyed robot man....He was at first gonna sell it, but, it saved him. He was going to sell, and on the way he got jumped. He didn't kill the guys, but he injured them enough so they were rendered useless. So he thought it had good luck attached to it...well, he was wrong. Everything was on the up and up for him, his life goin great, got a girlfriend, house, good job....But, then came the curse. It seems the original owner of the gun was happy to get it gone, because someone was lookin' for him....One day, on the way home from work, he called his girlfriend. No answer. He just shrugged it off, but he knew something was off when he saw a group of shady guys at his house. He got out, holding a hand on his gun as he approached them.. One of them, a tall guy in a cloak, with a strange, maw like mouth addressed him. They said they wanted to know where the man was that gave him that gun. Leon told them he didn't know, and he won it in a bet. Then, they pulled out his girlfriend from behind him..The maw-mouthed man smiled cruelly...It was all over in an instant...one of them shot his girl, and he shot them all dead......After that, he tried to live with it, but everything went downhill...He even wound up killin himself with it...The only way I got it, is that he was my brother.....* Sigh* If you want it Uni, take care you have no-one you love...."

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    null-a2 and HunterC1998 like this.
  5. Shear_Epicness

Shear_Epicness Void-Bound Voyager

Starbound is really low on unique sniper rifles, and the ones we do have are all the same. Shoot, wait, shoot, wait, maybe you have a flashlight or a grenade somehow too. I like the tesla's wrath, but it's ridiculously rare (or I'm ridiculously unlucky!). I propose a sniper rifle with a laser aim. Nothing too special... but there's a twist! it can bounce of a wall or enemy three times. The laser reflects this like so: The laser is blue. when it hits a wall or enemy it bounces off and becomes green. When it hits another wall or enemy, it becomes red. When it hits another wall or enemy after that, it disappears, because that's where the bullet stops too. The rifle does above normal damage for its tier before a ricochet, about normal damage after one ricochet, and about 70% normal after two.
    Unofficial Stats:

Boatworthy's Deflection rifle
    X damage( you can set this depending on the tier you want it to be. I recommend 4th tier or higher due to the unique mechanic. )
    1.2 use time
    Special: Laser scope. Enables the laser scope, allowing pinpoint accuracy every time, even after two bounces. It disables energy regen, though, similarly to the marked shot special.
    20/35 energy cost (is this right? I've never really looked into appropriate energy usage for weapons of any given tier.
    [​IMG] Sorry it's so big lol
    If you're curious about the name, It's one of a couple usernames I use semifrequently.
    Feel free to change whatever you like!

...As for technical stuff, This gun fires durasteel rounds. They have a very unique shape. They look like a normal bullet, with two major modifications: firstly, they have a rounded tip. this allows for their characteristic ricocheting ability, but also makes them ever-so slightly less potent than other sniper rifle rounds. Fortunately, this is more than counterbalanced by the force needed to propel such a projectile in such a manner. Secondly, they have six fins, which force he barrel to be oddly shaped, but provide pinpoint accuracy, even after two ricochets.

As for the laser aim, it uses a mechanism in the scope to generate millions of tiny semimagnetic ferrous particulates. It then projects those particulates out of the scope, and electrocutes them, causing them to glow blue. After each wall they bounce off, they lose a little magnetic energy, and some of them disperse, leading to a decreased wavelength, green. After hitting a second object, they disperse further, and lose more energy, leading to a red color. After this, the wavelength enters the infrared spectrum, and is only visible to certain creatures, none of which are playable races in starbound.

History:

Boatworthy's Deflection rifle was invented by Boatworthy, a Novakid inventor who had no particular motivations for inventing it, but thought it would be really cool. Unfortunately, there might have been only one ever made, had he not been an enterprising young fellow who had great fun with this toy (weapon, but it was fun enough it was pretty much a toy.) and proceeded to tell anyone he met about it. Within a few years, the miniknog heard of it, and basically claimed the Idea was their own. It was almost standard issue for the miniknog for a long time, until a major defeat at one of their factories forced it so stop being mass produced. Now, it's pretty much a weapon that's been passed down from people's grandfathers, and no one really knows who made it, other than by its unofficial name. It's a heck of a lot of fun, though.

By the way, I'd like to thank the devs of starbound for making starbound's weapons so diverse. You're never afraid to make a novelty weapon awesome, which not too many games do.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    null-a2 likes this.
  6. null-a2

null-a2 Guest

Just wanted to make an announcement everyone!

14 days is pretty long, so if we get 8+ contestants - I'll cut the time down to 7 days :D Also, great weapon designs so far everyone!

(Rules have been edited to reflect new changes)

Arra likes this.
  7. Shear_Epicness

Are we allowed to suggest more than one? I have a lot of Ideas.

8. null-a2

null-a2 Guest

For the sake of fairness, please suggest the best idea you have ^^; In the future, I'm thinking about doing a modified version on this contest again - so keep the ideas with you.

Uni is looking forward to the idea's you have! :poke:

9. null-a2

null-a2 Guest

Gotta use software like GIMP to alter transparency settings :D

Attached Files:

10. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Kakushi Industries Type 47 M.A.W.S. (Modular assault weapon system)

The Type 47 was developed to supply frontline troops with an adaptable lightweight assault rifle with quickly exchangable parts for ease of maintenance and to adapt to any threat infantry might encounter on the battlefield while at the same time putting no undue stress on supply lines. Sights, barrels, handguards etc. can be switched in a matter of second without any special tools and allow for a wide variety of jobs this weapon can do. The receiver, handguard and other parts are made from lightweight polymers whereas the chamber, barrel and firing mechanism are constructed from stainless steel to assure functionality. This gas-delayed blowback operated firearm will operate without major malfunctions even under adverse environmental conditions such as extreme heat or cold, moisture, sand et cetera, and the reliable action ensures that jams are a very rare occurence. Another unique design feature is the stock which can be both folded and expanded, allowing operators to quickly reduce the length of the weapon in urban warfare and getting it back to normal in longer-range engagements. The reliable 6.6mm cartridge is impervious to moisture and is guaranteed to lethally expand on target, although this feature has raised some concern from human rights activists. One flaw some have pointed out is that the weapon is very light which reduces accuracy in fully-automatic fire because the gun can bounce up, necessitating additional foregrips or heavier barrels. By standard, this weapon is equipped with a diopter sight.

Initially the troops were sceptical, but field testing and actual combat experience have shown it to be a reliable workhorse for infantry of all branches. The extreme adaptability also takes stress from supply lines, because this weapon can within minutes or even seconds be transformed into a light machine gun, sniper rifle for medium ranges or even a gun turret with appropriate mounts. Optional accessories include additional sights, foregrips and bipods, heavier barrels for sustained fire, underslung additional weapon systems such as grenade launcher or shotguns, laser rangefinders, flash hiders, suppressors and conversion kits for different calibers. The default color supplied by the producer Kakushi Industries is black, but due to the ease of cleaning this weapon it can simply be spray-painted should the need arise. While it is not being exported to other countries and not available to the civilian market, the government claims as a unit price of 2570$ for the standard weapon and up to 6500$ for complete sets.

• Length: 670mm standard
    • Weight unloaded: 2700g
    • Ammunition: 10, 20, 30, 50 or 100 shots
    • Rate of fire: 750RPM
    • Modes of fire: Single, burst, fully automatic

null-a2 likes this.
  11. null-a2

null-a2 Guest

Hmm, the contest seems to have come to a standstill. I'm just gonna jump the gun and finish the contest tomorrow. Is everyone okay with that?

Arra and Surenu like this.
  12. Arra

Arra The End of Time

I am! GG and GL EVERYONE!

null-a2 likes this.
  13. Shear_Epicness

Yeah, that's fine good luck everyone!

null-a2 likes this.
  14. null-a2

null-a2 Guest

Sorry it took so long everyone (I had some work come up), but I have listed the winner above. Thanks for the participation, and please come back for another shot at a game soon!

I'll try to hold this contest at least once every two months, so please look forward to it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.