NPC Developer Cameos

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by BlueBead, Oct 30, 2013.

1. BlueBead

BlueBead 2.7182818284590...

I think it would be a neat idea to have the developers themselves appear very rarely in Starbound as NPCs. Here's some possible ideas and some pros and cons of each...

• Procedurally generated structure- Possibly a computer lab or a replica of one of the Dev's houses.
      • Pros are you can find them again since they're tied to the location, and there can be cameos in the environment too.
      • Cons are you might find multiple Dev structures and thus Dev clones.
    • Find them randomly wandering
      • Pro is that they won't be tied to a randomly generated location, so you won't have Dev clones.
      • Cons are you won't be able to find them again easily, they might get stuck or be in the way, and you might get interrupted by enemies and lose the chance to talk to them.
    • Procedurally generated Developer planet- The Devs get a small, non-randomly-generated planet to live on.
      • Pros are they can each have their own homes and there's no risk of random generation messing things up.
      • Cons are the planet would have to be almost completely hand made and might not work with solar system generation.
    Dialogue
    • Break the 4th wall and talk about game development
      • Pro is people can learn about the behind-the-scenes development of Starbound.
      • Con is breaking the 4th wall will break immersion.
    • Talk about themselves
      • Pro is you can learn about the Devs and feel closer to the people that made the game you're currently enjoying. (Hopefully!)
      • Con is the Devs might not want to share personal information about themselves.
    • Talk about random things
      • Pro is there's no immersion breaking or privacy invading.
      • Con is it takes depth away from the cameo.
    Additional Purposes
    • Give/Sell special loot
      • Pro is getting sweet loot.
      • Con is it might be unbalanced.
    • Provide Collectables- Perhaps have unique decorative items in their living environment that you can take or have them hand out the collectables.
      • Pro is free collectables, why not?
      • Con is not everyone's a collector, so the "reward" won't be rewarding to them.
    • Provide Aesthetic Items-Who doesn't want to dress up as Tiy?
      • Pro is there's no worry of balance issues since it's just aesthetic.
      • Con is the Devs might want to keep their own unique aesthetic items to stand out.
    Feel free to suggest your own ideas! I might add them to this outline. (I'll credit you, of course!)
    Please rate this suggestion HERE!

Pixelstomp likes this.
  2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

This has been suggested before, and the answer is no

4. BlueBead

Sorry for the duplicate suggestion. I did a search and couldn't find another suggestion like this. Guess I just searched for the wrong thing...
    Could you at least tell me why you think this is a bad idea?

Farathil likes this.
  5. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I recall that one of the reasons similar ideas got shot down was immersion. I mean, Starbound is set in a universe. Having the developers of the game pop up would be humourous to some, but others don't want to have them appear in the game. It would be like a movie where the director makes an appearance as himself.

6. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

Actually I could see it if it was like the cameos Spike Lee does in the new Marvel movies, he appears on screen for a few seconds without saying anything.

Maybe in some of the interactive comics their sprites could be in the backround?

Heartstrings likes this.
  7. BlueBead

I suppose a solution to that is to just make it a very faint cameo. Like just having an NPC have a likeness to one of the Devs or have them not acknowledge the 4th wall at all. Maybe even have them show up not as NPCs at all, but just on a poster or decorative item.
    However, I get why it's a bit of a bad suggestion now. Oh well, you live and learn. It's still something I'd like to see, but I understand why it'd be out of place.

Heartstrings likes this.
  8. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Are you inferring that what this person is doing is spam? Even though you are spamming? Sir your logic = invalid
    AS FOR THE TOPIC!
    Has been suggested. I know there will be dev. REFERENCES not exactly cameos. Like there might be a sword that is called Batwenium Blade, or they might throw their names in the Name gen pool. The references will be there, but won't be overwhelming. Hope I helped. :)

BlueBead and Jonesy like this.
  9. Model QT-377665

Model QT-377665 Ketchup Robot

Well there is a Poster of Molly "Mole Man" Gos, so you have that. Other than that I don't know of any.

10. BlueBead

Haha, that's sweet! Guess I'm pretty content with the level of cameo/reference they're going for then. :)

Also I'm glad Clockwork removed the million "o"s from his post. That was a bit of an eye sore. x_x

Farathil likes this.
  11. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

It got removed, your welcome :love:

12. BlueBead

Pfft... Well then. :up:

Also I came up with the most terrible pun... All those "O"s were... "O"verkill.
    I just gagged typing that.

Farathil likes this.
  13. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

He was quite "O"ver bearing. He was "O"pressing your thread. Lel luv dem puns.

14. Facethelight

Facethelight Existential Complex

Your puns are killing me, seriously.
    Stop.
    Plus, you're getting pretty damn off-topic...
    OT: Most threads, including this one, have been shot down due to the breaking of immersion.
    Which, I am an immersion whore, I'm that one guy that doesn't even want that faint sprite in the background of a comic. I seriously want this to be its own universe that has no relevance to our own other than it has earth and humans.

15. tacoswithfriends

tacoswithfriends Subatomic Cosmonaut

Just as a thought, there could potentially be something similar to what is in the Pokemon games, where you can visit the building (or in this case, planet) where they're staying. I mean, if the scope of the game is anywhere near what they're claiming, you could play for hundreds of hours and never have or want to visit them.
    Alternatively, I've played games where the devs avatars lead you through the tutorial stage. They don't necessarily have to break the 4th wall, but it's just a thought.

16. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

(Eh? One reply to an somewhat off topic post doesn't ruin anything. I have already had my fun.) :rolleyes:
    I too am an immersion whore. If it breaks immersion, I will get very annoyed.
    Referencing my previous post.
    I think faint referencing is fine, the whole game will not be serious. (You can count on the staff to put in comic relief) I see no problem with the staff leaving their footprint, but if there is a quest that is completely corny/immersion breaking.... I will flip.

17. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

No.
    There is much more dev references than i care for in this game.

18. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Sources please? (Not trying to sound snarky. Just want to see what you are seeing.)

19. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

getting the sources would take me more time than i'm interested in using.
    the ones i know of are

accessories from the dev characters(i saw a post from a dev confirming this)
    mole man poster(possibly more posters, saw this in daily updates)
    ores named after them (ex: rhodium, georgidium)
    statues(unconfirmed)

20. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Mole man poster is considered a reference. Also I talked to a few mods saying that those pics of the dev based names are outdated. They said they were place holders.
    Acessories also considered a reference. You won't be walking around with a giant Tiy head or anything of the sort. If you think those two references would break games immersion, you must have incredibly high standards for immersion. No offense, just from what you have told me.