Bug/Issue Dialogue text is garbled at 4K (3840x2160)

Discussion in 'Support' started by blah238, Jul 23, 2014.

1. blah238

blah238 Space Hobo

[​IMG]

Looks the same whether it's fullscreen or windowed. Other text items like hints look fine. The next highest resolution available to me (2048x1536) looks fine.

Strangely, it actually looks a lot better (though not perfect) at 4096x2160, though this is not the native resolution of my screen (3840x2160 is):
    [​IMG]

Obviously I can work around this by changing the resolution, but figured I'd throw it out there.

Thanks for a great game!

• Seminus

Seminus Halfway Developer Developer

Yes high resolutions are currently not fully supported, additionally it does not really make sense to go that high. Best viewed in 1280*800 (16:10) and 1280*720 (16:9) and fullscreen. You get now advantage by going any higher atm besides bugs. ;)

Edit: I mean we are talking pixel art here anyway ;)

• blah238

blah238 Space Hobo

Well IMO even with 2D games, game developers should leave that up to the user to decide. Any resolution other than native on all LCDs is going to look worse, and input lag is going to increase since you're engaging the screen or video card's internal scaler. This is especially bad on my 4K screen.

Also I noticed that the game's shaders are rendered at the selected resolution rather than upscaled, so they actually do look better at higher resolutions :)

• Mithaldu

Mithaldu Orbital Explorer

You're overlooking one thing here: If you run a resolution other than a screen's native resolution, the image will be slightly blurred, as the screen interpolates from the smaller resolution to all its available pixels. This blurriness is there even if you choose a resolution that's exactly quarter of the native one. As such people will want to use higher resolutions not to see more, but to have a crisp image.

• Zoltak

Zoltak Space Hobo

I would appreciate 4K Support very much, too. High resolution displays are getting much cheaper these days and I don't want to have the above mentioned problems, when I switch to the iiyama ProLite B2888UHSU when available. :)