Modding Help Did 1.4 changed something with mod packing?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Qbi Wan, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Qbi Wan

Qbi Wan Pangalactic Porcupine

I have started new mod, but something is wrong. Things don't change at all... I took bunkertv2 and started do things. When it didn't work out I have tried to just change it's name, but nothing happened. Do I need to download new modpackhelper or sth? I did some mods, generally I know how to do it, but now I'm confused.

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Existing items don't change, you have to spawn a new version of that item

3. Qbi Wan

I've erased all instances of that object from edited planet without pleasing effect. Here's what I have:

{
    "author" : "Qbi Wan",
    "description" : "I",
    "friendlyName" : "New bunker tv",
    "link" : "steam://url/CommunityFilePage/1733203652",
    "name" : "newbunkertv",
    "priority" : 1,
    "tags" : "Furniture and Objects",
    "version" : "0.1"
    }

In folder tree:
    objects>human>bunkertv2

[
    {
    "op": "replace",
    "path": "/description",
    "value": "censoredword"
    },
    {
    "op": "replace",
    "path": "/shortdescription",
    "value": "consoredword"
    }
    ]

It's as short as it can be! What can possibly be wrong here?!?!
    Patch made with http://chbrown.github.io/rfc6902/

4. sirguylittle

sirguylittle Void-Bound Voyager

I've just created a mod using exactly what you have given and it works fine. I haven't packed it, just put the folder containing the mod in Starbound\mods.
    I just spawned one in and it looks like this:

[​IMG]

5. Qbi Wan

LoL :rofl: interesting. You never use modpackhelper? I'll try it when I get back from work. All my mods were made that way.

6. sirguylittle

I don't need to :) It's such a simple mod that I didn't bother to pack it as it would still work the same. I've been around computers since DOS days so I am familiar with the use of the command line and just use the standard asset_packer.exe and asset_unpacker.exe along with batch files I make myself.

7. Qbi Wan

So you just put that newbunkertv folder in Starbound/mods and it works? I did that as well and nothing happened. When I checked mods settings (gear icon on bottom right of Starbound's main menu),the mod IS detected, but have no ingame effects. What can cause that?

8. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

A mod not using patches overwriting existing settings.
    Or you unpacked Starbound Asset files into the main asset directory causing it to be over written
    ( Tiled installation asks you to do this )

9. Qbi Wan

I have no other mod using bunkertv2 :( Unpacked assets were in assets folder. They were always there, but I'm pasting it out now.
    What is "tiled installation"?
    EDIT: I've moved _unpacked. Still no effect.
    EDIT2: I've reinstalled it. Still nothing. I'll try turning off all subscribed mod tomorrow. About mod's priority... What number I need to put to have it's effect before other?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  10. sirguylittle

Yes, a mod can be either in .pak format or unpacked in it's own folder, handy when you are creating or testing a mod as you can skip the packing/unpacking process until you have a working mod.

That is a reference to 'Tiled' the map editor used when creating advanced mods like dungeons.
    It's best to keep a standalone modding environment to keep experimental work separate from your working game in case it gets corrupted.
    I have the Humble version of the game and I have to admit that it makes things easier as I can have separate installs of the game for different purposes, current playthrough, testing mods, experimenting with modding myself.

The lower the number, the higher the priority (can even be negative if you really want to make sure it gets loaded first). It shouldn't matter for your mod as it's unlikely that another mod interferes with it, unless you have something that changes the bunker tv.

One thought that does come to mind is to check your spelling carefully, since you have spelt the short and full description differently. (It doesn't matter there as they are just text descriptions, but spelling is important in the folder and patch names.)

This is exactly what I set up:

Code:
    Starbound
        \mods
            \Bunkertv
                \objects
                    \human
                        \bunkertv2
                            bunkertv2.object.patch
                _metadata
            (other mods in .pak format)

_metadata and the patch were copy/pasted from your example.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  11. Qbi Wan

Ok. Funny things first: I have humble version too :rofl: I've foregot about DRM-F version.
    Now, interesting things - on my steam version all other mods work just fine, no matter if packed, foldered or steam subscribed.
    Finally, making-me-mad things - even on drm-f version newbunkertv mod doesn't work :(
    Can you possibly pack your version and send it me by email??
    EDIT: Uff, ignore above :rofl: I've finally managed to make it work in both versions :D You were right: folder "objects" was named "object". Just one letter, but it made me make way too much fuss :rofl:
    THX for help... and tip with humble ;P

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    sirguylittle likes this.
  12. sirguylittle

Glad you got it working. It's so easy to do! When it's a unique object you are creating it doesn't matter about folder structure but when you are modding an existing object, then the folder structure must match the original exactly for the game to understand what you are modding.