Did you marry the right one? Tell your anecdotes.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LittleRose, Oct 28, 2016.

1. TimeLord97

TimeLord97 Space Spelunker

The only thing I'd call you out on is to dare you to try the bachelors now lol :rofl:

• Omnislash024

Omnislash024 Big Damn Hero

First time, I married Leah. My character initially had a crush on Haley, but every gift I gave her she ended up hating which essentially made her dislike me. Meanwhile Leah started piquing my interest and I ended up with her.

On this playthrough though, my character has ended up having both Haley and Emily crushing on him, with Emily flirting rather hard. It's rather too bad because I really do want to wind up with Haley.

• Mana-chan

Mana-chan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have only one main file with Sebby as my husband. At the time when I only saw his sprite in the social tab, I had the feeling it could be the right one even though I didn't know him yet. He never disappointed me.

I also have a testfile, where I explored one of the new farm layouts and tested other 1.1 stuff, but since it's another character I'd rather stay alone than cheating on him. (´>⁄ ⁄ ⁄ ⁄ <)
        I'm kinda weird I know, but I will never regret that I married him. :3

Avenna likes this.
        • Magistrella

Magistrella Big Damn Hero

Just throw a coconut in her face twice a week.... >.>

Now, now - not really but.... strangely that girl REALLY likes whole coconuts. As soon as you have access to the desert you can just get her gifts there. If you go for Botanist at Foraging 10 you'll get Iridium Coconuts... one of those will give you 960 friendship (or nearly 4 hearts) if gifted on a birthday... :x

go go get her! ^^

Minakie likes this.
          • Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I've only married one person, as I have had one save for the longest time. Did I make the right choice...? Well... For me there is no right or wrong choice, just whom you want to be with, and currently in that specific save I don't feel any regret. I made my choice and stuck with it.

I do have another save, and most likely will aim towards someone different, according to my character's personality.:nuruhappy:

One of these days, if I ever get around to having that many saves, I'll have one for each candidate...

RaineShadow and Lanx12 like this.
            • BarbarianRas

BarbarianRas Void-Bound Voyager

Makes me wonder if/how polygamy would work in game

• Boneberry

Boneberry Space Spelunker

I got introduced to this game thanks to a let's player. He went to Elliot, and needless to say he became my favorite bachelor AND character overall. I wasn't particularly attracted to any of the men, so I was planning to make my character in the first save single. I initially thought on going for Alex for the lack of an actual purpose, but then I decided to give a chance to Elliot since he seemed a bit too easy to catch. I loved that love story between he and my player. But eventually had to delete that Save file, because it got corrupted due to me screwing up something when first trying out mods.

Second save, I went for Sebastian. Much harder to pick, since he spent so much time indoors. I deleted it because I used a cheat mode and went trigger happy to the point it glitched out everything. Right after I asked him for marriage.

So what I'm doing right now? Trying my best to have courage to make custom bachelors, because I want to expand the horizons.

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Well, let's see...

First, there was shy, reserved Penny. She was a damsel in distress, almost desperate for a way out of her bad situation. A verbally abusive drunk for her only parent, she needed saving. As you coax her out of her shell, she blossoms into life. And then, there's that ten heart event. All I'm gonna say.

Once we married, things went quite well. She still tutored the kids at the Museum, so she didn't give anything up by moving in with me. She still hangs out with Maru occasionally, which is nice. And she's quite happy with our nice, big family.

Then there was Leah. She was the quintessential starving artist, with a bad relationship in her not-too-distant past to boot, making her initially reluctant to get close to another guy so soon. With my farm producing close to a million per season, I was able to support her art and give her the financial stability she needed to be a strong, independent woman who moved on past the bum relationship and find a new life with someone who treated her right and supported her artistic dream. Walks in the woods, artistic creations... she's a strong woman, even after marriage, and never is shy to point out that this was every bit as much her choice as yours.

Maru, on the other hand, gave up her potential career in the hard sciences to marry a farmer, which her daddy did not approve of. She had college and science in her future which she gave up to move in with me. She still tinkers around from time to time, the gifts of explosives are occasionally a bit concerning, but that's what you get for marrying a Sparky wife. But hey, she's happy, so I guess all's well that ends well. But I never quite shook the feeling that the world lost a wonderful inventor when she married me.

Abigail always felt a bit immature to me. Like Maru, she still lives with her folks. Unlike Maru, this is not because she uses it to further her goals. In fact, other than beating a video game, and maybe be a singer, she doesn't really HAVE any goals. She resents her overprotective father, and in general acts like an angsty teen. When she marries, she's the perfect little wifu, which I suppose isn't all bad considering she never really had any goals of her own. We occasionally go out and adventure, although I'm careful to make sure she doesn't get in over her head, and have a blast in general. Motherhood is something that doesn't really phase her all that much, and I can't say that she's got much in the way of maternal instinct, considering she still wants to go leave the baby in the crib and go out exploring routinely.

Hailey is a diamond in the rough. First impressions are of a shallow, self-conceited preppy chick who cares mostly about herself and herself alone. However, as you start to get closer to her, you realize that this is a deliberate mask she puts on, because underneath is a very sweet girl. However, because of her looks, she's constantly swarmed with attention, so she affects the brat to discourage at least some of the unwanted attention. With several hobbies, including photography (even going so far as to have a dark room, which speaks volumes about her actual intelligence, since that's a very technical job, with at least a practical knowledge of chemistry and clean lab techniques), reading, and collecting memorabilia. She discovers that she actually enjoys animals and the farm life, even if she is more enthusiastic than productive (that's okay, Hailey, thank you for watering the crops that are already watered, and repairing the non-existent fences, it's the thought that counts). And... well, let's just say that after marriage, she discovers (or perhaps reveals) a surprisingly frisky side that you both can enjoy.

Haven't had a chance to romance Emily yet, she's next on the list.

FickleRhubarb and WilliamZ like this.
                  • Aridai

Aridai Void-Bound Voyager

-sigh- I really want the answer to this question to be yes, but, that would be a lie...

I noticed her my first day in town. She was sitting under a tree, reading a book. She was cute too in that girl-next-door kind of way. Her name as I learned, is Penny. I'm a sucker for the shy, bookworm types. I love to read as well and to discuss the worlds I often lose myself in. It's how I always end a long day on the farm I inherited from Gramps. Helps me unwind. I started spending a lot of time at the library, engulfing the many tomes it holds. Penny came in a lot. I found out that she's a teacher for the local kids, Vincent and Jas. I always wanted a family and her gift for working with children was endearing to me.

So, I decided to pursue her. She was always thrilled with the flowers and gifts I brought her. It was clear that she wasn't used to this sort of attention. There was always a sadness behind her eyes. I found out that she lived in a trailer by the river with her mother. Pam is... a colorful woman. She drinks too much and has a lot of pride. She and Penny argue all the time. It became clear that Penny felt stuck and suffered from depression. The moments when she roused from it were to dream of getting away from it all. She wanted out. She needed a hero.

I also have a weakness for damsels in distress. I want to save them even if it's from themselves. I've learned that isn't very wise. You can't. Not really. I tried anyway. We dated and the more time I spent with her the more I realized that she wasn't shy at all. It was just the depression. She also didn't care much about discussing literature. Books were just an escape from reality to her. What she really wanted was a family of her own. A way out of her mother's trailer. Penny is very... sweet and kind. Yet there wasn't much emotional or intellectual depth there and I never felt any real connection with her. There was no passion. We just didn't click.

She fell for me and I went through the motions because she was so much happier with me than she was at home with her mother. I wanted to help her. She started talking about having a family and how farm life seemed ideal. I understood what she was trying to tell me. We needed to have a serious talk. She beat me to the punch and sent me a letter asking me to meet her at the bathhouse at night. She confessed her feelings for me and my intentions to tell her how I really felt melted away in her eyes. She needed me. I told her I felt the same and we made love until sunrise. It was... nice. It was at that moment as her soft, naked body rested against mine that I realized I could be content with her. She was beautiful, sweet, and kind. What more could a man ask for? I would learn to love her. Shortly after that night, I asked her to marry me. We were wed three days later.

Married life was fun for awhile. We got caught up in the new experience. Penny was like a ray of sunshine. In time that changed. The depression resurfaced and nothing I did or said could pull her out of that darkness. We still didn't connect and I think that became apparent even to her. I think that was when she decided to start trying to have children. I agreed. Maybe the kids would help us bridge the gap. She quickly became pregnant and we had a son. Then a daughter. They're wonderful kids. I would give my life for them in a heartbeat. Our lives became all about them.

Penny is an amazing mother and wife. I love her. Truly. But, I'm not IN love with her. I don't like much about her. As the kids got older our relationship as husband and wife was essentially non-existent. We didn't spend time alone together anymore. We stopped having sex. I started spending more and more time away from home. I found myself making friends with the locals and I couldn't help wondering what my life would have been like with someone else.

There was Abigail. Very pretty and a complete nerd much like myself, but, a little too immature. She never stopped being a teenager. I didn't hang out with her too much. Maru. She's a huge science geek and a part-time nurse. She definitely had passion, but, for machines, not people and science never interested me too much. Leah. We share a love for the outdoors and the arts, but, she never seems to know what she wants. She's stuck in that independent college student mindset. I outgrew that some time ago and we just don't see eye to eye. Emily. Hm. She's a wild one and quite odd. She felt like a quirky older sister to me. We hung out a lot but it was more like siblings than anything else. That was how I met her. Haley.

Haley... I never expected to like Haley. She seemed stuck up at first. Always giving me a hard time and looking down her nose at everyone. I avoided interacting with her until I met Emily and then it couldn't be helped. They're sisters after all. Haley constantly surprised me. When I called her out on her crappy behavior she actually thought about it and changed. She started to let her guard down and I realized her behavior was just a defense mechanism.

Then there was a day at the beach when she lost her great-grandmother's bracelet. I found it for her and she opened up to me. We talked for hours about our families. Those with us and those that had passed on. We talked about the afterlife. I talked to her about farming and my favorite books. She told me about her love for photography. She was surprisingly deep. Before we knew it an entire day had passed. Near sunset, she bid me farewell and embraced me. It was like electricity shot through my body. Her touch, her smell, everything about her enveloped me. She walked off without noticing my reaction. "What is wrong with me? I'm a married man. I don't even like blondes anyway. I just haven't had sex in a long time. That's all..." I thought to myself.

When I got home, Penny was in bed, reading some trashy romance novel. She smiled sweetly, slightly strained as of late. I took her book from her and we made love all night. Afterward, as she lay peacefully with a smile that spoke of contentment and renewed hope I hid my face. All I had thought about was Haley and even afterward... I was a terrible husband.

Despite the danger to my marriage I still spent time with Haley. She took an interest in the farming lifestyle so I started having her come around to help me. She would borrow my favorite books and we'd talk about them for hours after she read them. I walked the forest with her while she took pictures, me listening to her explanations about shots, angles, and what-not. I even took a few photos myself. The townspeople started to talk, but, since I took out my frustrations in the bedroom with Penny she was unconcerned. She trusted me.

One day I stopped by Haley's place and she was in her dark room. Her setup is quite impressive. She's very intelligent. Anyway, she was developing some photos we'd taken. There was one in particular that showed us in the forest, just goofing around. I was carrying her on my back with a dopey grin on my face. She was mid-laugh, her cheeks red, and bits of sticks and leaves in her hair. She had started to care less and less about vanity. I took the photo in my hand and grimaced. We looked so happy...

Suddenly, I felt Haley's hand over mine. I caught her gaze and held it. I knew in that moment what it meant. What we had. Tears welled in her eyes and she whispered, "You should go." I fled the room and spent the rest of the day wandering through the forest, overwhelmed with emotion.

Eventually, when I got home everyone was asleep. I looked at the rise and fall of my sleeping children and wife. My decision had already been made when I fled Haley's dark room. In the coming weeks, we spent less and less time together. We barely speak at all now. I love my wife. I love my children. And I will stay with them until the very end.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
                    • OkSunshine62

OkSunshine62 Astral Cartographer

You'll like Elliott. He's a huge romantic and it always reciting poetry and telling me how good I smell. He gives you a bottle of wine on New Year's Eve.

• Odd Farmer

Odd Farmer Big Damn Hero

Ah yes, my dear, beloved Abigail^^ I led her to the Altar at the morning of the Spring Dance. After that, I gifted her a pumpkin and then, of course, we went dancing. The same evening she gave me the Stardrop. However, the next morning she gifted me a bomb o_O

• Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Well they is one way to say they have a Platonic thing for you. :nurutease:

Nothing like an explosive relationship...

• CowsGoM00

CowsGoM00 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I married Elliot because
                            1. He owns property
                            2. Seems to be the most sophisticated of the bachelors
                            Life after marriage has been disappointing. Sometimes I come out of the bedroom and he's just standing there looking at the lamp like he's never seen electricity before. A few times I've gone outside in the morning when it's raining and he tells me that he watered the plants. Other mornings he feeds the animals for me, even though I have an auto feeder. The only thing he ever cooks for me and this kids is coffee. Total let down.
                            So, reasons to marry Elliot:
                            1. He owns property
                            2. Seems to be the most sophisticated of the bachelors Has nice hair

• Jayfeather980

Jayfeather980 Subatomic Cosmonaut

First time I married Penny... Fairly uneventful.

But the second game was more interesting, I married Leah, as my sister was playing the game and she married Eliot. I commented that "Maybe Eliot is gay." She replied "What do you think that? Wouldn't it be better to say Eliot married a farmer girl on the other side of town?"

• Callicarpa

Callicarpa Void-Bound Voyager

In my first save file I married Elliot. It was love at first sight :D But somehow I always hated that he's friends with Leah. Standing with her at every Festival and stuff.. So after the patch I deleted my first save file and married Shane. But I HATE his room in my farm house xD Like, does he never clean?! So I got divorced but now I feel really sad because he's mad at me D: Poor Shane never had anyone in his life but Marnie and Jas.. And I broke his heart ;_; I'm trying to get to know Harvey better now but I got a feeling that I'll end up with Elliot again someday <.< Alex was way too arrogant and Sebastian seems kinda young, too young for me ^^

• Baruch_S

Baruch_S Big Damn Hero

Leah's my favorite because she's the only girl I felt I was meeting on equal terms. She didn't need the relationship; she wasn't stuck at home or lacking ambition and direction. She was already independent and capable. In fact, she felt like sort of a kindred spirit when I first met her because we were both city people out in this small town, and we ran into each other out in the woods somewhere while I was picking berries or some such.

What really got me was that she didn't need me to do everything for her, but she still valued my advice on where to go with her art. Her dialogue even showed some interest in my farming ventures. She was also simple and uncomplicated compared to some of the other ladies; I could give her spring onion and driftwood, and she'd be happy because she's just a bit quirky. Her final heart event really drove it home for me. When I tried to talk her ex down, she just took charge, decked the jerk, and called it a day. I'm not her savior, and I'm not her rebound guy. Leah meets your character on equal terms, and I find that satisfying.

Also, she's one of the few who didn't feel like she was fresh out of high school. The fact that she was clearly at least capable of legally drinking the US was a big plus; it made things less creepy than dating Haley would have been.

• _PandorasBox_

_PandorasBox_ Sandwich Man

My main save file ( I may make more to hit on Shane and Sebastian, they're so cute and I want to hug them and keep them xD ) , I've married Elliot, and I haven't regretted it! Though he does get moody on random days, staying in bed, and I don't really know why, he's absolutely adorable, if a bit weird thanks to him saying that my character ( Male character ) smelled nice and that he liked the natural 'musk'.
                                    I love the dialogue with the kids too, he's glad that little Jay called him 'dada' xD

• Leludar

Leludar Title Not Found

I married Sam as well but I recently divorced him.
                                      He's just... not interesting enough I guess. His character doesn't really speak to me. I mean, he's cute and all. But that ain't gonna cut it.
                                      He can be really lazy as well despite you treating him well. Saying things like:''I don't really feel like it today...'' It doesn't seem like he has much of a life of his own either. He visits his family every now and then, says he ate pizza And that's pretty much it.

In my next marriage, I think I'll go with Abigail!
                                      I can basically choose whoever I want though..I got 10 hearts with every dateable character

Who oh who is it gonna be hmm.. :casper:

Edit:
                                      Before marrying Sam I felt like Leah was a great match for me as well. I feel like I have a lot of things in common with her. Nature, a love for art.
                                      Though, I think that would feel like dating myself?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
                                      • Leludar

Leludar Title Not Found

This made me think, if you have kids with a character, divorce, keep the kids, and marry someone else...
                                        Will they ever talk about the children? And if they do...
                                        do they talk about them as if they we're their own?

• Cramped Sultana

Cramped Sultana Big Damn Hero

So far I'm pretty happy with Elliot. We're doing kind of a hippy version of the Beekman Boys thing on our farm. My farmer has long hair and a beard and makes most of his money from artisan crafts while Elliot works on his books. He may be a bit (a lot) pretentious at times, but he's sweet and definitely makes my farmer feel loved. I think our kids are going to have a pretty good life, although I am a little concerned that while I'm out working in the fields Elliot thinks it's perfectly okay to stroll down to the beach and leave our child in the house alone all day.