Boss Different loot for re-defeating bosses

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Titanius, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Titanius

Titanius Void-Bound Voyager

It would nice to make fighting the bosses of the game multiple times worth it. It adds something to do when you're not sure what you want to do next or if you really want to fight a boss but aren't confident enough to move on to the next sector yet. This could easily be done by adding extra/different loot for defeating the boss after the first time. I was thinking something like this:

-The first time you defeat the boss you get the part you need to progress in the game ( i.e. material to craft the ship expansion).
    -The next time you beat the boss you get something completely different such as an amount of a special ore, or an item from a special item pool (functional or decorative), or even just money or a normal ore. It could even drop pieces of a special set of armor or something like furniture.
    -Every time after that you could get less of the ore, money, or a lesser or no chance of getting any special item.

I think this would give a reason to have some good boss battles over and over. I know that they are planning harder modes of the bosses but I'm not exactly sure how that will work and either way those will probably be farther on in the game.

Roda likes this.
  2. SqualidMisnomer

SqualidMisnomer Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm sure that as we progress through the beta alongside the devs, they'll begin to change things like randomized loot; sort of like how you're suggesting.

My guess is that Starbound will eventually function like other games which are similar, which is:
    When you kill a boss you get a necessary item or a really special item that you get every single time you kill it. i.e it's the same item every time.
    Then you also have a 25% chance of getting a special item, and there are 4 to chose from; but you'll get one of the four each time.
    And alongside all this, you also get the ore or money that you suggested.

So I agree with your suggestion about implementing a reason to keep beating bosses and I'm interested to see which approach the developers take :)

3. Titanius

Titanius Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah as long as they implement it somehow! It worked out well in games like Diablo and Terraria.