1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Disable all battle music!

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by samrux, Dec 24, 2013.

1. samrux

samrux Void-Bound Voyager

First, I do not take all the pride for this as a conversation was taking place earlier at this post.

After a few tries I concluded that modifying the code in the game configuration a little and in the correct way will disable all battle music completely, with no awkward cuts, as if nothing have happened. I won't post a download as it's simple to modify while keeping your own settings untouched:

1. First, as with all mods, you shall find your Starbound folder. It varies a little between operating systems, but it's located inside your (...)Steam/steamapps/common/Starbound.

2. You will now open the folder assets, and look for the file called client.config. Open it with a text editor, preferably one that is ideally made for code files such as Notepad++, or an HTML editor. Otherwise all lines of code may appear in a single row; it's still possible to edit the file, but it may be a little more confusing than it should.

3. Now, scroll to the very end of your client.config, and find a sentence that says "combatTrackMixSettings", that's where you'll need to edit.
    You'll find a few lines of code looking like this:
    Code:
      "combatTrackMixSettings" : {
       "grace" : 2,
       "mixCombatIn" : [1, 0, 1],
       "mixMusicOut" : [0, 0, 1],
       "mixCombatOut" : [0, 0, 3],
       "mixMusicIn" : [1, 0, 3]
     },

4. You shall change ALL the numbers to 0, but the first value of "mixMusicIn" and "mixMusicOut", those will be 1. It will look like this:
    Code:
        "grace" : 0,
        "mixCombatIn" : [0, 0, 0],
        "mixMusicOut" : [1, 0, 0],
        "mixCombatOut" : [0, 0, 0],
        "mixMusicIn" : [1, 0, 0]
      },

Once you're done and sure it's all correct, save the file and open your game. All battle music should be disabled.
    I haven't tested this for bosses (will test it soon in my new playthrough), but it works, and I like it!

Ghostik and escapereality like this.
  2. escapereality

escapereality Aquatic Astronaut

This doesn't seem to work in the new version (Furious Koala) - can't find the file client.config. Anyone found any other way?

3. FDru

FDru Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You can use the unpacker to access the assets file, then edit and repack it.

Here's some basic instructions, for Windows users:

1. Make .bat file (unpack.bat or w/e you want) in your Starbound\Win32 directory with the following
    Code:
    asset_unpacker.exe ..\assets\packed.pak ..\assets\unpacked
    2. Run the above .bat file. Now edit your client.config in the new \unpacked directory

3. Make a pack.bat file in Starbound\Win32 with the following
    Code:
    asset_packer.exe ..\assets\unpacked ..\assets\packed
    4. Run the above .bat file. You now have a file called "packed" in your assets folder. First, rename the old file (packed.pak) to something else as a backup (like packed.bak) and rename "packed" to "packed.pak". And you're done.

There are obviously more efficient ways to do it, but this way works until someone makes an official mod.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    Ghostik and escapereality like this.
  4. escapereality

escapereality Aquatic Astronaut

Thank you! Works like a charm! I'm on Linux but I just applied the above on the corresponding folders (Linux64 instead of Win32).

5. NanoPi

NanoPi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I put this in mod format just so I can use it myself in Furious Koala.

edit: downloadable mod is attached at the end of this post

file contents:

nocombatmusic/nocombatmusic.modinfo
    Code:
    {
        "name" : "nocombatmusic",
        "version" : "Beta v. Furious Koala",
        "path" : ".",
        "dependencies" : [ ]
    }
    nocombatmusic/client.config
    Code:
    {
        "__merge" : [
            [ "overwrite", "combatTrackMixSettings" ]
            ],

"grace" : 0,
            "mixCombatIn" : [0, 0, 0],
            "mixMusicOut" : [1, 0, 0],
            "mixCombatOut" : [0, 0, 0],
            "mixMusicIn" : [1, 0, 0]
        }
    }

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    Ghostik, Zaflis and FDru like this.
  6. FDru

FDru Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You're awesome. Thanks!

7. gauzemajig

gauzemajig Void-Bound Voyager

Sorry for being a total mod noob, but how do I apply the files that NanoPi attached?

Edit: Nevermind, i did the .bat-way. Thank you both for this! My biggest gripe with an otherwise lovely game solved.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  8. FDru

FDru Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Unfortunately if you just change your assets yourself, you will probably need to do it again with every patch.

To install the mod just unzip it into your "mods" directory. It should create another folder in there called "nocombatmusic" and that's it.

9. gauzemajig

gauzemajig Void-Bound Voyager

Alright! Done and done :) Thanks.

10. Bazalisk

Bazalisk Subatomic Cosmonaut

man i wish there was a way to just have battle music during boss fights :s