Dev Blog Discord Update v1.3.4 [UNSTABLE]

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by superconsole, Aug 31, 2018.

1. superconsole

superconsole Queen of Chickens Chucklefish

Original Post

2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Wow, an hour a half old and no replies?

But really.... 1.3.4 is on Unstable now? That's some much needed signs of life... is that the same as Nightly?

3. Eralia

Eralia Phantasmal Quasar

im just glad to see an update finally!!! this stuff is super col even though i dont think itd be that useful for me despite using discord a lot.
    i didnt see the thread linked in the blog post, perhaps thats why

4. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Hey, glad to see you have not all died! Looking forewards to the 1.4 news.

5. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Pohany likes this.
  6. MidgetLover

MidgetLover Scruffy Nerf-Herder

doesn't sound exactly exciting though

7. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

@Kawa : Well, I more meant the "beta" opt-in on Steam... even if it isn't really called Nightly anymore...

But anyways, glad to see a new dev blog either way.

8. 777JackOfBlades

777JackOfBlades Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A surprise to be sure but a welcome one

Kawa likes this.
  9. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@Xylia

I mean, it's just... regular Starbound and Unstable.

no-nightly.png

See?

10. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

They're ALIVE! Oh, I mean of course they're alive. I can't say this is an exciting or amazing news, but yes, at least it is good news and a good thing to know they're still rolling.

Vrow likes this.
  11. Gon009

Gon009 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Huh, finally something is happening.
    Where can I find the rest of v1.3.4 changelog?

12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Kawa posted the change log above.

@Kawa: Oh, right... derp I didn't see that in the steam list... it's been awhile since I messed with unstable/etc.

13. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Unstable is an inbetween of nightly and stable.

Should be posted when it hits stable.

Kawa likes this.
  14. Captain Rage

Captain Rage Phantasmal Quasar

Nice to hear that things are bubbling under the hood, even though I've moved away from using Discord. :) One thing that I would really love to see (hear) is support for positional audio in Mumble. (Mumble is an open source voice-over-ip program, designed with gaming in mind, that I prefer to use and find superior to all the alternatives that I have tried). Here is an example of positional audio when playing Minecraft: . Imagine playing Starbound and being able to hear your team-mates from above/below/right/left depending where they are in relation to you. Could be pretty nifty, eh? :) I think if there was an API for the player positions in Starbound somebody could write a plugin for Mumble. Currently there is none for Starbound: https://wiki.mumble.info/wiki/Games#Supported_games

15. spiraluna

spiraluna Big Damn Hero

Welcome the new person! I hope they post more often than the old person :)

16. Yavor

Yavor Big Damn Hero

Thank you for all of your work, Chucklefish! Please, keep us informed, even if the news aren't that big! We appreciate the news, and we appreciate your efforts!
    Regards!

superconsole and Ickura like this.
  17. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, like what he said. You guys need to be more active in the community, informing us news about the progress you guys did, no matter how small it is, no matter how dissapointing or boring it is (well, I believe it is not that bad). Just let us know how you guys doing.

18. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

They could have taken advantage to fix some problems, bugs, etc, small but necessary things, anyway.

19. superconsole

superconsole Queen of Chickens Chucklefish

Glad you're happy to see an update - appreciate it's a functionality based one this time, but as we said, things are bubbling in the background here and we'll be sharing more news *as soon as we can*
    P.S. can confirm all alive

20. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Functionality updates are the best kinds of updates, especially if they involve new APIs.

Modding is such a huge part of the Starbound experience, that anything that gives modders more tools in the toolbox is something that's going to expand the game by leaps and bounds. Please don't take offense if it sounds like I am belittling the efforts of Chucklefish developers, but the simple fact of it is, that modders out-number the devs by thousands to one, so if you give us new tools to mod with, you're going to see far more content than the devs could produce themselves.