Distress Calls and other ideas.

Discussion in 'Side Quests' started by Sammy Tee, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Sammy Tee

Sammy Tee Void-Bound Voyager

I thought it would be cool if every now and then SAIL receives a distress call, maybe every ingame half hour or so.

Upon clicking SAIL, it would alert you to the distress call and show you to the planet it's coming from, or perhaps just the solar system, to give the whole thing a little more mystery to it and less of a GO HERE DO THIS GOOD JOB HERES A HUNTING SPEAR DO IT AGAIN feel.

Upon finding the village, city or town the call is coming from, you'd have to help them fight off things like a bandit invasion, a zombie infestation, or some alien tentacle things coming from the core, like the birth of a new... spoiler. lol.

It would be awesome if you could commission statues to be made for you, or have them made of you in your honour for completing these deeds.

Saving a planet and then coming back some time later to find they have built a huge statue of you in your absence.

*edit*- re reading my own post I thought it would be very impactful if failing one of these events or it being timed and missing the time would cause the planet to actually be destroyed - as in you can't go there anymore.... it doesn't exist at all and is wiped or replaced with an asteroid field that could even have remnants of the planet, landmarks still standing on chunks of rock floating in space. Alderaan style.

Coming back to a planet you've saved would also see the townsfolk or residents hailing you as a hero and coming to greet you, maybe even gathering around you or giving you gifts.

I'm wondering also, why are all races on all planets at exactly the same tech levels? It would be very cool to come across a tribal human civilisation, or a highly advanced floran civilisation.

Writing this has also given me the idea of certain other things you could do through SAIL, for instance, getting information of events like a new Floran great hunt happening. If you miss it, or don't win it, you would be told who the winner was and could even go down to their planet to visit them and recruit them, or even watch their ceremony after winning.

I was a little disappointed that these things are not recurring, such as the arena. Other combatants should constantly be wanting to prove themselves against the current champion.

This is a little ranty but the best open ended open world games don't have big closers to lines such as that. At least not after just 1 hunt, or 3 arena matches. The best open ended games have these things become very important to do after the initial storyline has come to a close, and to give the player something to aim for, for a long time afterwards. I completed the arena at the same time that the quests became available to me and while I did die once on the last one, I overall found them relatively easy to figure out how to complete.

Having a repeatable final match where the contender is randomly generated from a large pool of possibilities would increase the replay value of this considerably especially if the random rewards were good enough.

My final idea is to have legendary items randomly generated too. I am a little burnt out on trying to find a decent blue gun. I seem to only find whites or greens and never blues, but I've found every single legendary in the game now.

If the random generator went all the way up to legendary quality it would also increase the replay value.

Thank you for reading if you did read this all <3

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    Luna Celestica and djchrisblue like this.
  2. alextulinov

alextulinov Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah the arena does feel extremely lacking in content,although I don't really want the arena to be randomly generated because in the end it's going to be the same like the weapons,it should be like the arena in oblivion where there are a lot of designed characters and if you finish those it's a bunch of animals you have to fight.

3. Brockster17

Brockster17 Phantasmal Quasar

This feature would make starbound feel much more... alive. It doesnt make everything offscreen or on another planet feel static(even though everything offscreen is static). Having towns build a statue of you though would be extremely hard to code. Please no destroyed planets either. what if someone starts a new game and their starting planet just happened to have a village that is human/floran on it and of course, the ark gate, and you went to the village before you found the gate and there was an event and the planet got destroyed along with the ark gate? SoFtLoCkInG