Do upgraded tools use less energy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by O-Castitatis-Lilium, May 26, 2018.

1. O-Castitatis-Lilium

O-Castitatis-Lilium Void-Bound Voyager

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I am curious. As the titles states; Do upgraded tools cost less energy? If they do, then it doesn't seem to be working in my game. I have an upgraded axe and while it takes less hits to surely cut a tree down, it doesn't seem to use less energy. I was watching the bar and each hit seems to take the same amount, just less hits. If this is a bug of some sort, I will report it, if not...then I have another question; What is the point of upgrading tools? If this isn't a bug and the only thing that happens is that you have to do less actions but use the same amount of energy...then what's the point of the upgrade? In Essence, I'm looking for clarification on this because I am confused.

• Git Gud Fox

Git Gud Fox Star Wrangler

Skill is what influences the amount of energy you spend, so foraging, mining, farming etc. The tool reduces energy by cutting down on the amount of chopping, mining, or tilling.

An iridium axe will chop a tree down in like 3 strokes. You use the same energy per stroke, but 3 strokes is far fewer swings than what the default axe uses.

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

There's two reasons for upgrading tools:

1) They tend to work faster, and thus are more energy efficient. For example, upgrading your pick to Steel means regular rocks all the way down to level 79 are one-hit instead of two-hit for the copper pickaxe or three-hit for the regular one. This really helps you go faster, and also because it requires fewer swings, it is more energy efficient. The watering can can be held down to water an area of effect at once. The gold watering can, for example, waters a 3x3 area.

2) Some things require upgraded tools. For example, those stumps on your farm? You need a Copper Axe to clear them, your regular one won't work. For the fallen logs? Needs a Steel Axe. So you need to upgrade your axe to iron level to get access to the Secret Woods. Likewise, the large stones on your farm require a higher tier of pickaxe to clear, and the meteor that rarely shows up in an overnight event needs a gold pickaxe.

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

To put Git Gud and Shneekey's posts into even sharper perspective

On day one of a new farm you have a basic axe and 270 E. Your basic axe takes 15 hits to completely remove a tree, and at 2 Energy points per hit that's 30E per tree

Without eating, you will run out of energy after felling just nine trees, even if you do nothing else

At the other end of the scale, the iridium axe takes a mere 3 hits to completely remove the tree. If you could magically have that iridium axe on day one, you could fell forty five trees before running out of energy, five times as many as the basic axe

The numbers for copper would be 12 hits to fell one tree and 11 trees in the day, for steel it's 9 hits and 15 trees, and for gold, 6 hits and 22 trees

Now you can see how the upgrade makes huge sense. Similarly, the other tools enjoy significant energy savings

Swinging the hoe also uses 2E, but a basic hoe tills just one tile, an iridium hoe would manage 18 tiles for the same energy. Much faster, and only 1/18th the energy per tile. A basic hoe can till a plot approximately 11x12 on a single day's energy, but an iridium hoe can till almost the entire area of the standard farm

Each upgrade to the watering can does use more energy, but also waters more tiles. The basic can costs 2E per tile watered, whereas the iridium can costs just 0.55E per tile, almost four times as efficient. For comparison, the copper can uses 1.33E/tile, steel 1.2E/tile and gold 0.88E/tile

The benefits of the upgraded pickaxe are less obviously noticeable at first, but try descending past level 40 with a basic one, it's painful. At 3 swings per rock you'd take all day to find ladders for the next elevator, or get overrun by monsters. But use a steel axe and once again you can do 15 floors in a day. I think the copper pickaxe is perhaps the most useless single upgrade of all the tools, so I'd say just go straight from basic to steel in consecutive upgrades over the course of four days

Lilliput likes this.
          • O-Castitatis-Lilium

O-Castitatis-Lilium Void-Bound Voyager

ok, so you still use the same amount of energy, you just get more for it. I get it now. I'm so use to Harvest Moon where even with the upgrade in efficiency, I still got things to cost less energy on top of that. Ok I do get it now, it just didn't register. Thanks! ^_^

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

The energy reductions per tool use come in when you get more experience

Except the watering can, each swing of a tool uses 2E when its corresponding skill is at level 0, with the energy consumption decreasing by 0.1E for each level, so that at level 10 you only use 1E per swing

So for instance that iridium axe, when you reach Foraging 10, can now fell a massive 90 trees on a single day's energy of 270E, even if you haven't got any of the stardrops

Hoe goes from 2E to 1E when Farming level increases, and pickaxe when Mining level increases. In fact, when you're at mining 10 it's hard to use up a full bar of energy just from breaking rocks, you're more likely to need food to heal injuries from monsters hits

For the watering can it's a little bit more complex. Each upgrade costs an extra 2E to use, so at Farming 0 a copper can watering three tiles uses 4E, steel does five tiles for 6E, gold does nine tiles for 8E and iridium does eighteen tiles for 10E. As your Farming level increases you still only get a 0.1E saving per level, so at Farming 10 the iridium can would cost 9E to do eighteen tiles, at exactly 0.5E/tile. Although, at the point you have an iridium can it's mostly a vanity purchase because almost all of your watering will be done by sprinklers. A more realistic example for the can would be, say, at Farming 6 a gold can uses 7.4E to water nine tiles, so you could water 324 tiles on a full day's energy.

• AdamWilson

AdamWilson Space Hobo

Upgraded tools may use less energy compared to their un-upgraded versions, but it depends on the game or tool you are using. Some games or tools might show an improvement in energy efficiency, while others might not. The purpose of upgrading tools can vary, but it usually results in improved performance and functionality, such as faster speeds, more durability, or increased precision. In some cases, upgrading tools may also allow you to access new features or abilities. It's always best to check the specific tool or game's documentation for information on the benefits of upgrading.