1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Downgrade ship?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by dnomaid, Aug 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dnomaid

dnomaid Space Hobo

So I thought it would be an awesome idea to just cheat in the "upgrade ship" items (/spawnitem shipT#) and upgrade my ship to the max, despite only buying this game yesterday. Well, turns out that was a bad idea, as I now have a huge ship I don't need that just looks terrible with nothing in it. I've tried following this Reddit thread but it didn't work and my ship is still maxed out. Any way to downgrade, using mods or otherwise?

2. Cupa

Cupa Pangalactic Porcupine

Just replace the shipworld-file with a new one from a different character.

3. TheDerpySupport

TheDerpySupport Subatomic Cosmonaut

type /admin to give yourself admin status then type
    Code:
    /upgradeship '{"shipLevel":3}'
    That will put your ship back to the tier after you get the FLT drive fixed.

4. Cupa

Cupa Pangalactic Porcupine

@TheDerpySupport that works backwards and is overriding? Nice to know.

Also, perfect nickname for this sub-forum! :)

5. Geth270

Geth270 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It, does not...

6. TheDerpySupport

It should override it because i've gone from tier 1(fresh ship) to tier 3 instantly and tier 3 to tier 8 and back to tier 3 with that command

7. dnomaid

dnomaid Space Hobo

That doesn't seem to be working, unfortunately. It says "Upgraded ship" but after beaming back nothing changed

8. dnomaid

dnomaid Space Hobo

This doesn't appear to be working either, unless I'm doing it incorrectly

9. Geth270

Geth270 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you ware really desperate to downgrade your ship you would have to edit your player file since this is where your ship level is stored, you'd have to change it from "8" (max ship level) to "3" (functional tier 1 ship). Than delete your shipworld file and the game will generate a tier 3 ship for you.

Although I did some testing and I would not advise that, I noticed that you can no longer buy licenses when downgrading this way nor use the /upgradeship command to upgrade your ship, which means you'd have to mess with the player file every time you would want to go up a ship level (and take everything of your ship while at it).
    Edit - NVM I forgot that shipLevel has to have the capital L, the command still works after you downgrade the ship in player file, not sure about quests/licences but assuming you didn't do them yet they should work as well. If you know how to access your player file feel free to change it if not you can upload it and i'll change it for you.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  10. TheDerpySupport

Are you using any mods? or What version are you on? 1.0.5? Cause I dont use any mods and i'm playing the latest version; try being ON your ship when you use it

11. PandaGuy5

PandaGuy5 Yeah, You!

help me im trying
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
    rage

what do i look for in player file
    ???????????????//////////

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  12. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Please avoid double posts. Use the edit function when making additions to your previous post.

You also may want to describe your problem better.

Regards
    Iris Blanche

13. PandaGuy5

PandaGuy5 Yeah, You!

i found ship level now what do i do (ps. i opened player file in "notepad") PLease help!!!

14. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

i would NOT suggest Notepad. I actually suggest a hex editor bc that can actually read the file properly. Using Notepad has a lot of broken text that hides what you're wanting (in my experience)

relace the number after ship level with the level you want. 1 is the ship you start with, 2 has normal travel enabled, 3 has FTL enabled, above that is the appropriate classes in order, up to 8

15. Iris Blanche

If the playerfile wasn't dumped via the dump_versioned_json tool i would not recommend editing it in any way. The dumped json file however can easily be edited with Notepad++ and with the tool make_versioned_json it will be converted back to the format starbound uses.

~ Iris ~

16. PandaGuy5

PandaGuy5 Yeah, You!

thanks
    =D

17. A Random French Guy

A Random French Guy Void-Bound Voyager

That dont work

18. Captain-Crazeh

Captain-Crazeh Void-Bound Voyager

I understand that this thread is old, but I too am trying to reset my shipworld to a tier 3, and I am using this thread for guidance. The above suggestions don't seem to work, but I assume that is because I am using a newer version of Starbound now. Is there a NEW way to reset the player ship to a tier 3, *without* editing the playerfile?

19. Iris Blanche

Nope. Either you'll edit the playerfile for this case or you have to start over with another character and only upgrade the ship to T3.

20. Ram_Graham

Ram_Graham Void-Bound Voyager

i tried the hex editor it failed.
    also when i delete or rename the shipworld file to .old it also dosn't work
    FYI i also use frakin' universe