1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Draining ocean - is it possible?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Wiktuur, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Wiktuur

Wiktuur Space Hobo

I'm just curious, if draining ocean is possible in starbound :)

2. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Nope.

3. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

Put all water at your pocket ))

4. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

You would need to place a background wall behind every block of ocean water, and then place a block in the foreground over every block of ocean water. Breaking the blocks after that would result in the planet no longer having an ocean.

5. Steamarrowe

Steamarrowe Void-Bound Voyager

Sounds like infinite amounts of fun. ok, I'll just take a week off work to try it.

6. Sir_Djak

Sir_Djak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Dude if you or someone else really manage to take an ocean off a planet, he clearly need some respect and rewards

7. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

The simplest way to do it would be to take approximately one full inventory's worth of eyeball blocks or anything else that falls. First check that all shield generators in possible hylotl cities have been deactivated. Then, pile the falling blocks high on islands until the entire ocean is filled. Then, go along the surface area, filling in each and every background tile at a certain height, then removing both the background and foreground blocks. Rinse and repeat until you reach the bottom.

8. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

And ocean of eyeballs. That's kind of scary. Sounds like it might work though.

But I'm not sure an inventory full would be nearly enough. I have some experience covering this whole surface of a planet (just redecorating a barren one in my case) and an inventory full of blocks was only enough for a nice thick layer, just enough so you can't see the old ground. Filling an ocean in would surely take much, much more.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  9. Sir_Djak

Sir_Djak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Gentlemen, i say we all regroup on an ocean planet and we drain it together :disshappy:

10. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

40k blocks is the maximum amount you can carry in your inventory. If I'm reading the wiki right, the ocean is at most 100 blocks deep. A very small world is 1000 blocks, which makes the total amount 100k, so if you find a very small world, three trips should be enough.

11. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

You would also need to fill in the background, so the total amount is ~200k

12. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Well, actually, since the goal is to drain the ocean, not fill it, after filling the background, you could remove a layer of both the background and foreground, and reuse those blocks to cover the background of the next layer of ocean.

13. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

I mean, you could, but you're going to have to remove all those blocks afterwards, and it'd be easier to just get them all in one go.

14. Vetpetmon

Vetpetmon Void-Bound Voyager

It's truly not possible to drain an ocean planet. Ocean planets of any kind are unique, and have infinite water, no matter what. If you want to "drain" one, get ready to place a lot of background blocks and get a bunch of drains. Lag-free and satisfaction not guaranteed. See your planet's size and your computer's stats for more information.