Dynamic Quests

Discussion in 'Side Quests' started by Lizardeye, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Lizardeye

Lizardeye Orbital Explorer

What does "Dynamic Quests" mean? Well I want an overhaul with the quest system as they just become fetch quests. No one likes fetch quests. Especially when the planets are random (kind of) and you have to traverse each of them for a sizable amount of time to maybe get the item you need. This can be a hassle for everyone and really shouldn't exist for this long.

So what do I want to change?
    One of my fondest memories of Starbound is running around the Erchius Mining Facility trying to find those two levers with my friend. I want more of that! They don't even need a boss at the end; I just want them. I want more of these maps as they allow you to learn mechanics, are fun to traverse, and bring more life to the series! I mean sure, the Glitch villages and other race temples do add life but when I run into a place full of hostiles I don't really think of them as something that's part of the world. Along with these maps there have to be secrets. A lot of secrets that reward you for spotting them.

As for the fetch quests: they can still exist. Just not as obvious. You can have a few quests like that but don't make them really common. Once in a Blue Moon.

I also would like it if you had choices. We know that the Florans and Hylotl don't get along; why not make a quest about that!? You could choose which side to fight for (even if you are a Hylotl or Floran) and it'd effect something in the universe. Maybe a bounty? I don't know. You can decide! What do you think? Do you want something like this implemented in the full game?

Korano25 likes this.
  2. TrevorH7441

TrevorH7441 Big Damn Hero

Here are some quest ideas:
    1) More quests like Erchius Mining Facility and Floran Party
    2) Unique bosses for side quests, including ways to kill them
    3) Targets (Outpost pinpoints the star system you are currently in and gives you a target and the planet he/she is located on)
    4) Quests to increase goods sold in the Outpost
    5) Quests that teach the player more about their race (Race specific quests)

Lizardeye likes this.
  3. CondescendedWow

CondescendedWow Supernova

Some people like fetch quests, it adds diversity and something to do in your spare time so instead of ravaging generated dungeons all day you can take a break and do something mediocre and realistic like making coffee, it helps to develop the game world whether it seems like it or not; fetch quests do in fact help.

4. Korano25

Korano25 Space Hobo

Fetch quests are made specially to show the player that there is a world (a lots, actually) to explore out there! It sends ou on a trip to find one little thing, but in the way you find much more; but after all I agree that it should have a little more action quests, some people have suggested bounty hunter quests and I guess it's a good way to go.

5. Joseph the wanderer

Joseph the wanderer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I wouldnt mind that if it werent for the fact that I CANT GET BETTER TOOLS TECH OR SHIPS WITHOUT DOING THEM! :urgh:
    I spend HALF MY WHOLE GAME PLAY hopping from planet to planet, dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet, dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet, dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet, dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet,dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet,dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet,dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet,dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet,dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet,dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet,dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet,dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet,dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet,dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet,dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet,dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet,dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet,dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet,dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet,dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet,dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet,dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet,dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet,dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet,dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet,dashing around, finding nothing, and hopping from planet to planet, FOUND IT!

In that order.:zombie:[DOUBLEPOST=1443124546][/DOUBLEPOST]
    and that isnt a fetch quest. its a craft quest. that is WHY that one is so much more likable than the others.

6. CondescendedWow

It was just an example for doing something mediocre man.

7. Joseph the wanderer

Joseph the wanderer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

yes but you were saying fetch quests like the coffee quest spice up a game like this. The coffee quest DOES add spice, but NOT because it is a fetch quest. Because it is one of the few quests that ISNT a fetch quest. A better example would have been the Golden Ducky quest.[DOUBLEPOST=1443132371][/DOUBLEPOST]I think some good quests could be randomly generated Event Planets. As soon as you beam down, BOOM, your in a war zone/ monster den/ survival game/ maze/ whatever else you can think of.

8. CondescendedWow

Alright well thanks for clarifying then.