Xylia Tiy's Beard

Xylia submitted a new mod:

Easier Fishing (Standalone) (1.1) - Easier Fishing Standalone

Read more about this mod...

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

• Lysa

Lysa Space Penguin Leader

That's a huge help. Thank you so much :)

• ShayGray

ShayGray Void-Bound Voyager

i did follow the instructions but it crashed my game, i don't have any other mods installed. i got to the witch's hut and started to fish and then my game crashed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
        • Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Weird. I don't see why it wouldn't work?

If I had Witch's Hut access I'd test it myself.

I literally copied the lines straight from 1.1 Fish.xnb exactly as-is and only changed the difficulty and made sure that nothing else in that file was changed.

It'll take me a little while to get up to the Witch's Hut to test it, but for now the only suggestion I have is don't fish from the Mutant Bug Lair or the Witch's Hut.

• ShayGray

ShayGray Void-Bound Voyager

ok, thank you.

• Sanhud

Sanhud Void-Bound Voyager

My gane crashed too, it was the super easier fishing mod, I tried it three times, but no go, crashed each time, had to delete the file and verify the game. shame because I cannot for the life of me master the fishing, the mod was so helpful,
              ETA]......I don't have the witch's hut it was just a quick fish at the bottom of the farm near the travelling cart.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Weird. I just tested the Easier Fishing and it DOES work. Maybe I screwed up the Super Easier .xnb... let me check them both as downloaded from this website.

[​IMG]

Lemme check the .xnb file. BRB.

EDIT: I just checked, I downloaded the .xnb file from the mod repo as-is, unpacked the super_easier_Fish.xnb and personally verified that both .xnb files have all the stuff, the only difference is the alteration on the difficulty settings.

Are you SURE you are renaming the file properly? You're supposed to put "super_easier_Fish.xnb" in your content\data\ folder, and THEN you MUST rename the file to "Fish.xnb".

Can you verify that you did in fact do this? Because everything on my end is working.

EDIT2: Also, check that .xnb file extension is not used by anything on your computer and you're not getting something like "Fish.xnb.xnb" or something stupid like that. Windows likes to derp sometimes. Try verifying the file name with the Command Line by doing this:

1). Navigate to the Stardew Valley\Content\Data\ folder
                2). Shift+Right Click
                3). Click "Open Command Line Here"
                4). Type this: dir /w

And make sure it isn't called "Fish.xnb.xnb" or something like that. If it is, rename it by doing this:

Code:
                rename Fish.xnb.xnb Fish.xnb
                (replace Fish.xnb.xnb with whatever it IS called).

EDIT 3: Here's a screenshot of what the command line data should look like:

fish.png

Ignore the Fish_1.1original.xnb and Fish_original.xnb, those are backup copies and the game ignores those when booting up.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
                • Sanhud

I'm so sorry....I didn't rename the fish file to fish xnb, so I did this and it didn't crash but for some reason he can't catch fish for nearly half a day in game time and when he finally caught one he lost it because I must have clicked one too many times, this happened in three different locations, how I hate the fishing in this game, the mod I used before the update the fish didn't move, it stayed at the bottom so I didn't have to do anything, but this mod doesn't do that, I'm sorry if I'm being a pain, also once again sorry for not renaming the file like I was supposed to.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

No problem... the fish moved too much even with Super Easier Fishing? The hardest difficulty in SEF is... I think 20? (Legend is 30, but uh). Usually with fish that are that easy, you shouldn't have to really click much at all. I'm not sure values one would have to put in there to accomplish what you're talking about.

I'm sorry it didn't work out better for you. I think CA really should realize that he has people playing the game who really really can't be spamming clicks due to different medical problems and give an option for those people, because there are so few games that allow such people to play, and said people are usually interested in only a few types of games, this being one.

• Sanhud

My sister [we are both in our seventies] can't do the fishing at all without the mod because she suffers from arthritis in her hands and can't manage the fish so she misses the mod as well, it's lovely to go fishing and not have to do anything, same with the slimes, she can't manage to kill them but now we have the Galaxy sword it's much MUCH easier to kill slimes, we love the game and play it a lot, so a big thank you from both of us for doing all the mods to make it easier for people who are not as nimble fingered as they used to be, I remember playing Tomb Raider years ago without any trouble at all,.... :)

• margotbean

margotbean Existential Complex

Hi Xylia and Sanhud!

I found that setting all values to ZERO will cause the fish to stay at the bottom, and not move up at all.
                        I tried with 10, then with 5, and both seemed to work exactly the same as each other, that is, the fish stayed near the bottom, and only started moving up at the very end. (It seemed to be exactly the same behavior as with setting the values to 15.)

With a value of 0, the fish never moves, so no clicking is required.

I checked the original Super-Easy Fishing Mod against v1.1 (your version, Xylia), and the values are indeed exactly the same. But some other people are reporting that fishing is no longer as easy in v1.1 as it was in v1.0, with the same mod. Something must have changed with the developer's code, above and beyond "Fish.xnb" I think.

In any case, it might be a nice idea to have this "absolutely no clicking required" mod available...

I have attempted to upload this file... but since I'm new to all this, I'm not sure it will work, or if it's appropriate for me to do so here, in a comment.

Please advise.

Cheers,
                        margotbean

Attached Files:

HopeWasHere likes this.
                        • luckyhunter

luckyhunter Space Hobo

So I am going to add it to my game and it keeps crashing my game.
                          Are we supposed to unzip the file once we download it? And when I go to open it on my computer, it opens Notepad instead.
                          Am I doing something wrong?
                          Are we not supposed to unzip the file? Just drag it over to the game files?
                          I really want to play but it keeps crashing my game when i do it

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Assuming you are on windows, after the file downloads, it should open like any folder in windows explorer. Windows 7 and later should default open .zip files as if they are folders, unless you got some kind of download manager or compression utility demanding control over .zip files.

You will see 2 files:

"easier_Fish.xnb"
                            "super_easier_Fish.xnb"

Copy ONE of those (the one you want). ONE. To your Content\Data\ folder.

Rename it to Fish.xnb.

Once you do that, you can safely delete the .zip, as you don't need it or the the other .xnb.

I did it that way so that players have a choice if they want easier fishing or the super easier fishing, instead of making 2 different mods on the repo.

• luckyhunter

luckyhunter Space Hobo

I did as you said and it didn't work.

I just dragged it over to the folder and did not copy it.
                              Am I supposed to keep the fish backup in the data folder too?

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Not required. Just as long as you have exactly one "Fish.xnb".

While in the data folder, shift+right click and click "open command line here".

You'll get a black command line window.

type this:

Code:
                                dir /w
                                And hit the enter key.

Make sure it doesn't say "Fish.xnb.xnb" because sometimes windows derps while renaming files.

• luckyhunter

luckyhunter Space Hobo

Ok I see it says xnb.xnb. How do I fix it?

Attached Files:

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Do this:

Code:
                                    rename Fish.xnb.xnb Fish.xnb
                                    EDIT: And then another dir /w to make sure it changed, lol.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
                                    • luckyhunter

luckyhunter Space Hobo

I did rename fish.xnb as fish.xnb and it appears as fish.xnb.xnb still on the file name

How do I change the name? If I just click "rename" it changes the name but doesnt do anything else to the xnb.xnb part

Attached Files:

• foghorn

foghorn Pangalactic Porcupine

@luckyhunter

how_to_show_file_extensions_windows_10_-_2016-11-01_20.24.29.png

You can rename your file(s) correctly with just the right-click 'Rename' option afterwards.