Easier way to play multiplayer

Discussion in 'Other' started by geniusman300, Mar 28, 2014.

1. geniusman300

geniusman300 Space Hobo

i think that an easier way to play starbound multiplayer than having a server should be made. like you can invite your friend to your game. you go into multiplayer and have different things like server, than online(random games) and private game where you can invite your friends to it.i wanted to play with my friend but was having trouble with the server connection. if they could make something similar to what i said than i think multiplayer would be easier to use.

CheezyBoi and kngjeremy like this.
  2. HexZyle

HexZyle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think you might be a little clueless when it comes to creating a multplayer system. A host-client system, also called a server-client system is almost mandatory for any multiplayer setup that has more than two players, especially so if it's drop-in drop-out. Furthermore, for a "server browser" (that list that comes up when you're searching for servers to connect to in some games) requires something called a "master server", which is an official server in which all other servers send their information to. When you connect to the master server, it sends you the details of what servers are up, how many players are in them, and what their IP adress etc. There are a few sites that act as this master server. People input their server's IP into these sites and the site pings their server and updates the appropriate details. Here's a good example of an online master server: http://starbound-servers.net/

For multiplayer in Starbound, a computer somewhere has to be the server that all other players connect to. If you dislike servers online, and don't feel like renting out a private server, you can host a server from your home computer. You'll need to portforward Starbound, (you'll need to look online to do this if you don't already know how) run a server instance as well as a client instance and connect to your own server by using the IP 127.0.0.1
    If your friend is connecting to your computer through the internet, they'll type in your external IP which you can obtain by googling "my ip". If they're connecting via your LAN, you don't need to portforward but you do need to obtain your internal IP by checking Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Adapter Settings > (Status of whichever adapter you're using to connect to the network) > Details > IPv4 adress.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Moved to Suggestions.

4. kngjeremy

kngjeremy Void-Bound Voyager

no i agree! its a little difficult to host a game with friends, and while the servers people host aer fun, id rather have a more simplified way of playing with my friends.

CheezyBoi likes this.
  5. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Do you and your friends play on a LAN? (everyone connected to the same network) or do you and your friends play from different houses? (remotely)

If you play remotely, it's very difficult, because of all the things HexZyle said.

If you play over a LAN, then there are probably some things that can be done to make it easier.

6. kngjeremy

kngjeremy Void-Bound Voyager

no we all play at differnt houses.

7. mikeloeven

mikeloeven Big Damn Hero

A master server is not a bad idea. after all it is is a text service for sending and receiving connection strings with a name and text description. could probably be implemented fairly easy cheap VPS running mysql if it even needs.

you hear stories of games whose masters are part of the gamespy shutdown being cloned and re hosted by fans

8. TheMetasol

TheMetasol Guest

Couldn't they semi-integrate the server into the client like Minecraft did it, so you can open your game to other players on the same LAN?

9. DarkTanatos

DarkTanatos Astral Cartographer

exactly this. i would like to to play in LAN or inviting players from my steam friendlist without open up a server.
    the game client should be able to work as a host.

if i want to show my friends what i've build it's more fun to let them explore something by themself instead of just showing pictures.

CheezyBoi likes this.
  10. CheezyBoi

CheezyBoi Space Hobo

It would be amazing if there was a Easyer way to play multi-player on starbound. Like how terraria does it. So easy but your game is so good but it's more fun on multi-player and it easy to do.

I love the game but it could be easier. Because I just want to get on then invite like how terraria does it and then play multi-player

Oath like of your steam friends list

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2017
  11. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Please don't double- or triple-post. Use the edit button to expand posts instead of stacking multiple ones back-to-back.

Also bear in mind that this thread was dead for three years before you brought it back. We'll only accept necros if the thread is still relevant and the necropost is on-topic. Luckily, both of those boxes are ticked here, but remember it next time you're considering posting in an old thread.