Easiest way to return to surface in Survival?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by overtyp3d, Feb 22, 2020.

1. overtyp3d

overtyp3d Space Hobo

As a new player im curious as to how other people are dealing with returning to the surface in this game. Im using FU Mod, was hoping there'd be a mod that adds a type of consumable item? Would love to hear some peoples suggestions.

2. Wiranum

Wiranum Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm coming a bit late, but there are several ways to go back to the surface easily / alternate ways to get resources.

- When you mine to go down, dig a perfectly vertical pit and place platforms regularly so you can keep jumping up and up until you get back to the surface in no time. It's a bit long to mine like this but it is flawless. When you explore underground, don't go too far from your platforms so you can always have the option to go back to the surface. That was the way I used in hardcore to ensure I don't get stuck underground.

- If you have the resources, you can bring teleporters with you and use them to go straight back to your ship from underground.

- You can go to ocean type planets, mine the floor and wait for the liquid to flood everything underground (if you are on ocean and arctic planets, pour some healing water to get light). Swimming in the liquid can get you back and there's no trouble swimming to the top of the oceans.

- There are alternate ways of getting pixels, fuel and ores rather than going underground to mine them. You can use a simple pixel farm (Rice and cocoa crop farm / AFK poop farm / fast tree farm) or something cheap to acquire and expensive to sell (like mass producing ice beds / synthetic materials / round tables / alien chests) and use the pixels to buy the ores in the outpost. Fuel can be bought in the outpost or produced with a generator and ores can be obtained in other places than going underground (dungeons, villages, asteroid fields, random containers...)

- Finally, you can wait until you fully upgraded your manipulator and get the triple jump tech. This gives the best mobility and will help you moving underground better. A grappling hook can be an extra bonus.