Modding Help Editing XNB files

Discussion in 'Mods' started by HollandVG, Mar 7, 2016.

1. HollandVG

HollandVG Poptop Tamer

Just a little help for a newbie to all this modding stuff; I just did all the XNB unpacking for sprites in the game, the shirts specifically, and now that I've edited them, they all have white splotches, and I can recognize them in the editor I'm using, I'm wondering if theres a way to remove them or if its not possible using just the default paint program for windows 8.
    Cheers!

• Zien

Zien Space Hobo

I don't think you can mod sprites as of yet because the developer of Stardew Valley (ConcernedApe) hasn't given the sprite sheet to mod it. So you gotta hold it for a while. Which is unfortunate, I'm hoping to make some cool items to put in the game.

HollandVG likes this.
      • keyten

keyten Cosmic Narwhal

Of course we can. Everyone do it now.

You need transparent colour. Pretty sure paint doesn't have it. You need some advanced programs like photoshop.

• Yunix

Yunix Big Damn Hero

Instead of trowing out a new one i just post it here:

1. How to get the xnb file open and closed?
          2. If i edit the grafics with photoshop, do i need anything else to change in the file to make it work?

Would be very cool to know, i have some idears i want to try to do. Haha. And if it don't suck to
          hard i will maybe share them here too.

• Acrimonia

Acrimonia Subatomic Cosmonaut

You need transparencies to avoid splotches of colour; paint.net can help you there.

It's best to start a new question for new threads, but...

1. Use an editer like notepad++ or editra to open XNB files. This is mentioned in the tutorial penned by cantorsdust (I believe.)
            2. As keyten points out, you need to set a transparent colour.

HollandVG likes this.
            • Yunix

Yunix Big Damn Hero

1. But isn't notepad++ just for text? How does this get me the sprite out/in there? (sorry if this question is nooby)
              2. The edit is no problem, i know how to do png's and stuff. Just was wondering if i would need any additional "programming".

HollandVG likes this.
              • keyten

keyten Cosmic Narwhal

1. Personally I used this guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s5cEf7NLvJ6iIu6kh1oRGKE-Uw25Aak0xs2S5_MA9to/edit
                See getting started and Photo Editing.
                2. No additional changes required, just use the same format. Also you can make the canvas bigger to include more sprites but I am not sure If you can use them. I could use them only to include additional textures to maps.

• Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Uhhh say, I want to edit some XNB files myself, I have no idea what kind of software I need, but how difficult is it to actuall get them implemented into the game?

• Axelius

Axelius Tentacle Wrangler

Look at the guide already linked in the thread, it goes through step by step how ypu do it and what program you need, etc.

As for those looking for a program to edit the .png files i recommend Paint.NET, a free image editor that is far more capable than MS paint yet not as cumbersome as photoshop or GIMP.

XaviiKinz and Corraidhín like this.
                    • Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Ah ty, ill get right on it!

• forrpa

forrpa Void-Bound Voyager

I tried to make Vincents cheek smaller but it was white where I'd make the changes in game, so I made the white color transparent, but now in game the background of the portrait is white! upload_2016-5-2_12-10-59.jpeg (This its how it should be, but mine is just white)
                        Anyone who can help?

• XaviiKinz

XaviiKinz Space Penguin Leader

Which program are you using? And did you save the image as .png?

• forrpa

forrpa Void-Bound Voyager

Im using GraphicsGale, but I redid it and then it worked! :)