1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Elithian Races Mod - A Starbound Expansion 2.3.10

A Starbound expansion mod which adds multiple new races and additional content

1. carriontrooper

carriontrooper Existential Complex

Yeah, I already posted that error, and turns out it's for an unused mission anyways. We can't access it yet.

2. Aegonian

Aegonian Weight of the Sky

That's right, the mission error is for an unused, WIP mission and won't cause any problems in game since the mission is never accessed. While I'm not sure if the mission will be finished by the time the next update is released, I'll make sure to fix the error so it won't appear in the logs any more.

3. kenanthebarbarian

kenanthebarbarian Phantasmal Quasar

Okay, starting fresh with only Avikan and ACCM mods installed, I get this error, which I gather is the inactive mission thing you mentioned:
    Code:
    [00:12:43.039] Error: Failed to process dungeon file /dungeons/missions/centensianruin/centensianruin.dungeon : (StarException) Exception (StarException) Dungeon image /dungeons/missions/centensianruin/centensianruin.png uses unknown tile color: #dcffa6ff
    When I start fresh with or add the latest iteration of Frackin Universe from Sayter's Github account, it crashes and I get this error as well:
    Code:
    00:17:36.665] Error: Exception raised during Root finishLoad: (ItemException) Duplicate item name 'avikanspices' found
    [00:17:37.046] Error: Fatal Exception Caught: (StarException) An error occurred during loading: (ItemException) Duplicate item name 'avikanspices' found
    It's my understanding that Satyr added some of your plant types into FU, so I suspect the problem is there. I will let him know.

Full log attached.

Attached Files:

4. carriontrooper

Huh, that's strange, I unpacked the latest FrackinUniverse modpak and could not find any mention of Avikan Spices anywhere in it. Something else must've been causing it - try re-running it again, sometimes Starbound messes up during loading times. If it still persists then it's not a loading error, and something very weird indeed.

5. kenanthebarbarian

kenanthebarbarian Phantasmal Quasar

I'm not using the modpak, I'm using the most up to date files from Sayter's Github account. He said he think's it's a simple duplication error and he's going to change the item ID on his end to see if it's a fix.

6. Luthor614

Luthor614 Cosmic Narwhal

Sayter fixed the itemid in the latest release so they shouldn't conflict now...

7. Stafath

Stafath Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was just looking for a good mod to get back into Starbound. This fits the bill and then some! Loving the attention to detail and the fact that this race actually looks alien! Here have all my pixels! *throws a lot of 10k Voxels on the ground*

8. Fornsworth

Fornsworth Void-Bound Voyager

Bit off topic, anyone know where I can find an Avikan camp in a universe w/ frakenuniverse installed?

9. Luthor614

Luthor614 Cosmic Narwhal

Savannah & Desert biomes

10. Mikelgard

Mikelgard Void-Bound Voyager

Do you have an internal cross-section of this race? I'm very intrigued to see how the various holes all connect, as I suspect an increased lung capacity to accompany all the extra volume from said holes. I'm guessing that it's one of two: either the respiratory system bypasses lungs entirely by having more of an air bladder with a similar deliery structure to the circulatory system, so that the veins/equivalent are always supplied with oxygen at all points, however this poses the issue of gas transfer, and that would be difficult to accomplish if they're always changing what hole they're breathing out of, especially with multiple, unless there's a one-way valve system in place at key junctions, whereas the second option is akin to additional lungs, or perhaps pleated in design, allowing them to greatly expand with each breath.

So the question becomes thus: do all the orifices meet at a single location directly, or are they dispersed based on where they are on the body?

Edit: SCIENCE!

11. Aegonian

I don't have an internal cross-section of the Avikan unfortunately, though that would be really nice to have - I might make one some day! My thoughts for the Avikan respiratory system was a system of four lungs, divided into two sets. The first set is a a set of two large lungs which function largely like those of humans, with a very high capacity. These two lungs are found in the upper chest area, and are used mainly for breathing. The mouth and the orifices on the chest are directly linked to these lungs, and are thus the primary orifices used for breathing. The second set of lungs is smaller and is located a bit lower in the body. These can also be used for breathing, but have a smaller capacity and a slightly lower efficiency, so they're generally used for cleaning the body. I imagine them being deflated most of the time, only being inflated when they are needed.

The mouth and the orifices on the chest are linked directly to the larger set of lungs, and are constantly being used for breathing. The orifices beneath the head flaps, armpits and hands are also connected to the larger set of lungs, while the orifices on the hips, tail end and feet are connected to the smaller set of lungs. All these additional orifices are primarily used to exhale air and are only used for actual breathing in case there's a problem with the mouth or the orifices on the chest. An intricate system of valves allows the Avikan to manually choose which orifices to connect to the lungs and which to shut off (it also allows them to eat and breathe at the same time by closing the connection between the mouth and the lungs while keeping other connections open).

Finally, a last set of valves allows all the respiratory orifices on the body to connect to the main lungs (the first, larger set) should the secondary set be damaged (they're the least well protected and are sometimes ruptured during hunts). This allows the Avikan to keep using those additional orifices even when the smaller lungs are damaged. The orifices on the upper body (the mouth, chest, underneath the head flaps, the armpits and the hands) only connect to the main lungs however - they won't connect to the smaller set of lungs.

An Avikan whose small lungs are damaged can continue living with barely any problems. If one of the large lungs is damaged, the other one is generally still capable of sustaining the Avikan without much trouble as well. If both of the larger lungs are damaged, but the smaller ones still function, the Avikan can still survive, but will not be able to be as active as usual as they have a very limited breathing capability. Avikan in such a condition are never sent out into the desert, but are given smaller tasks within Avikan settlements or are given administrative functions. There will be some new codex entries in the next update which detail the Avikan culture some more, I think you'll like them!

I'm no biologist so I'm not sure if all of this would actually be possible, but I like to try and make my alien creatures at least seem believable :)

12. Mikelgard

Well, believe it or not, the only 'big' issue is having the smaller lungs already deflated, as they'd still need a minimum carrying capacity in order to inflate and deflate if acted upon by a diaphragm, unless you used muscle around the structure instead of just below it, which I'm guessing is the case from what you described. Nice work thus far!

13. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

It would be kind of interesting if you made this race had some sort of relationship with the Avali.

14. Fornsworth

Fornsworth Void-Bound Voyager

It would be nifty to see, I do agree, though if aegonian were to do that He'd have to take it up with Ryuujin himself.

Relten likes this.
  15. Sandman1997

Sandman1997 Starship Captain

are their ships upgrade able?

16. Mikelgard

Actually, Relten & Forn, they already do! It simply isn't documented. ^u^ Welcome to sandbox rpg's with fleshed-out races! As they're both desert-based nomads, it's highly likely that they'd have come into contact with each other long before other races once they'd achieved space travel, as most species seek out a "Home 2.0" for their initial colonies, and as such, not only is RP/backstory very friendly to it, the lore I've read on the Avali really suits being friendly with first-contact scenarios!

Relten likes this.
  17. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

I thought the Avali race originated from an ice ball planet.

18. Aegonian

That's right, the Avali homeworld, Avalon, is the moon of a gas giant and has an average temperature of about -40° to -50° Celsius. The Avikan wouldn't be comfortable living on such a world, although they might be able to survive there. The deserts of Kadavan can get very cold at night, and while an Avikan tent camp wouldn't work well in such a climate, their more modern settlements allow the Avikan to survive in most climates.

That being said, it is quite likely that the Avikan would have run into the Avali at some point, and I would certainly be open to doing a Racial Crossover-styled mod at some point.

Relten likes this.
  19. Mikelgard

Seems I haven't read as much lore as I'dve liked, then! Woo! Anywho, I was going off the aeshetics of the race. Loose clothing like the avali and avikan wear is actually well suited for both hot and cold climates, as it's the air pockets that are being heated/warmed, whereas simple layering is mostly useless. (That what down feathers do btw - they create loose overlaps that trap air and keep the birds warm). Sorry for the mix-up!

Aegonian and Relten like this.
  20. carriontrooper

Funny thing, some Avali clothing works on Avikans, and vice-versa... Probably had to do with their similar bodyshapes :D

Relten likes this.