1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

End of Starbound Hype!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by achaven, Jul 1, 2016.

1. achaven

achaven Poptop Tamer

I Recently came across a video of the ending cinematic for Starbound! All the credit goes to TheGullofdoom on Youtube and to Bjorn0411 who helped Gull get to the cinematic.

I don't believe the ending can be obtained normally, only through commands was this cinematic discovered.

As usual THERE ARE SPOILERS FOR THE FUTURE ENDING SO DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU!

ENJOY!!!:lickitung:

2. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

That title is in a way misleading, or well I interpreted it differently.

It came off as:
    "My hype for starbound has ended..." ><

Anyways interesting find. Not going to watch, as I am awaiting to play fully to see the whole story. Ending is great to see and all, but it is the middle journey that is most important. :nurutease:

Sageheart and Inf_Wolf14 like this.
  3. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

Oh boy...Starbound's ending kinda feels a little generic.

Aliencommander and WoogaBooga like this.
  4. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

I've never been a person to be bothered by spoilers. I saw this post last night and I've been conflicted whether or not to watch it.

I think I'd feel pretty guilty if I, after being starbound since the beginning, went ahead and watched this.

This is the only game I've ever put this much stock into... Hell, I never expected to play it for this long. So I might as well wait out 1.0. Give the devs a chance to surprise me eh?

5. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

Even though I did watch it, it didn't spoil anything. It's like watching a person's Let's Play series; you know what it ends on, but you didn't experience it. You can't be spoiled on something by just knowing the ending. You can only appreciate an ending when you were the one to earn it. Watching someone else get it means nothing.

That said, I'm ready for them to put that mission in the nightly already. All of the assets are there, but there's no trigger to get to the final mission. The dungeon file doesn't load, either.

6. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

I think it's basically been implied the Ark's barrier has been weakening for a while now.

So basically "what" destroyed Earth might be best described as "what fraction of the Ruin's power that has leaked through the seal".
    Also if I've judged by stuff I accidently saw in similar leak.... don't expect a direct answer regarding re:Novakid lore.... but expect a hint with HEAVY implications regarding their origins.

Also, "eight race" may actually have never been. I've seen a .jpeg of the original non-defaced Ancient Gate from before they "removed" the "face" that was in the eight slot.... and the thing was basically a slit eye, like the Ruins' own. Thus the "eight race" was likely never much of a race at all and just a reference to the Ruin.

Likely saw it's depiction defaced by members of the race that built the Gate(whose identity may be surprising methink) out of anger at the Ruin's deeds.

I assume the Erchius Horror/Ghosts are different manifestation of the Ruin, i.e.: leaked manifestation of it's powers... just not strong enough to destroy entire worlds yet.

At least, those are my informed guesses without wishing to spoil too much things from what else I fell upon elsewhere.

7. Ludovic

I think some of it will be sort of explained. Other hinted at to let the players connect the dots for themselves.

8. WoogaBooga

WoogaBooga Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm aware that it's very much a work in progress, but the ending came off as pretty dull and uncreative to me.

Either way, looking forward to the new update and what it might reveal regarding Starbound's lore.

(Anyone else wondering if the Agaran might be tied into the plot?)

9. Ludovic

Actually I wonder if they've stepped back from older agaran lore even if some of the assets still exists in the game files. A lot of the old "agaran infestations" content seem to have disapeared afaik even if the assets exists so the only way to get it is to manually spawn it?

It might be that they felt it wasn't fitting properly anymore with their current plans or want to rethink it before they bring back anything that might involves that.

The end was fine in my opinion. Felt like it was fitting with what lore they've established. Also still do leave room for a decent amount of post-ending post-release content(I mean, there IS a protectorate to rebuild after all, among other things. And we still don't fully know the nature of what is EXACTLY on the other side of that Ark door and the possible consequences once it is opened, even after the defeat of the Ruins).

WoogaBooga likes this.
  10. WoogaBooga

The same thing seems to be happening to the USCM, as they don't really fit into the lore and seem to have been revised or replaced by the Protectorate.

To be honest, if the Agaran are ever removed from the game, I'll at least find solace in not having to see those ugly villages covering Starbound's forests. :nurusick:

11. Ludovic

I think Agarans are here to stay like Fenerox and Alpacas though. Personally I don't mind them all that much however, as they add variation in terms of villages encountered and still have their own occasional merchants and all.

We also don't know what "polish passes" they may or may not receives before 1.0 or after and what it might mean for nonplayable races like them.

This said I've re-encountered a USCM prison in the nightlies recently. One of the description had the character react to the sign at the entrance going "I don't know why but this sign fills me with dead" while I was specifically trying out an human.

It make me wonder if they might not keep them in the end, as an "artefact of humanity's pre-protectorate days" or something(i.e.: "remnant of a darker time humanity would prefer to forget about, but sadly which still linger in the present more enlightened days of Protectorate-era humanity")

12. WoogaBooga

I've always seen the USCM as some kind of splinter faction or remnant of the Human military. Given that they are still around and that they have recieved some updates over time, I don't think it would be too far-fetched to assume that they have some significance regarding the plot.

13. Ludovic

Possibly. I'd be curious to see how it would play out.

14. Aliencommander

Aliencommander Void-Bound Voyager

The hero character is killed(? Not sure how in this case, probably a heroic sacrifice) but brought back by the god-entity to live in this peaceful world/universe where there is "still much more to be done" is a pretty common storytelling beat, yeah? I imagine there's more to it/more to be done as that seems pretty unsatisfying currently

15. Ludovic

*shrugs*
    It's an okay ending I felt.

I mean, this is a sandbox game, so they kinda HAVE to find an excuse to keep you playing and traveling across the universe. Especially since some of the game's plot events would likely have a lot of repercussions beyond "beating the ruin", at least plot-wise if not directly mechanics-wise.

Basically what we'll be seeing is the base campaign whose ending will thus still leave open a lot of room for post-release content that could thus also include "post-ending stuff" down the line. Devs have already confirmed iirc that they focused on the more "earthlike" worlds in term of environments first so they could focus on story/etc and thus start thinking out more alien worlds(and specifically their mechanics) once all of that would be done, likely after game release.