1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

WIP Equivalent Exchange for Starbound

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by AlbertoRota, Jun 19, 2019.

1. AlbertoRota

AlbertoRota Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Equivalent Exchange for Starbound
    TL;DR
    You can find the "Alpha" version of the mod in the attached file, the mod is totally safe and will NOT corrupt you player, world, universe or ship.
    Please, take into account that this is work-in-progress and that I'm sharing it soo soon in order to get help/feedback ASAP.

Synopsis:
    A mod inspired by the Minecraft mods "Equivalent Exchange" and "ProjectE".

It adds several thematic "Transmutation tables" that allow you to transmute specific items into EMC, learning how to transmute them back in the process.
    It also adds a "Transmutation book" where you store all your knowledge.

Each "Transmutation table" allow you to study things that share something in common:
    • Farm table: Study plants and trees drops.
    • Hunt table: Study monster drops.
    • Mine table: Study ores.
    One you study enough items, you will learn how to do the inverse process, transmutation EMC into that item.
    Also, for items not related to the table, it also allows you to "burn" then down to EMC, which is fairly inefficient but gives you "Universal EMC", that can be used in any table.

Current status:
    All the main code is done, and all the core functionality is implemented, including the three tables, the book, and all the processes to transform items to EMC and EMC to items.

Right now, only the basic tables are implemented, the idea is to have tiered tables, with higher tier ones being able to transmute more advanced items and to get the "Universal EMC" more efficiently.
    Even for these tables, the amount of items they can "Study" is fairly limited and needs to be expanded.

The artistic part is not done at all, all the tables look like an ugly chest, the UI needs much more love, the items need custom icons, etc.

Help needed:
    - Artist:
    It is the most important thing I need right now, I seriously lack any ability, tool, experience or talent to draw meaningful pixel art, so, if you consider yourself an artist willing help, you are more than welcome.
    - - Objects:
    I need art for all the tables, which means the "Farm", "Hunt" and "Mine" tables, for their tiers 1, 2 and 3.
    If you feel yourself up to the task I'll be more than glad to explain all the details.
    - - UI:
    The main body of the UI is mostly done, but it can be improved a lot.
    Also, the UI header and footer are not even started.
    I don't want anything fancy, just a vanilla-like UI, but I'm just not able to get it right.
    Again, if you feel yourself up to the task I'll be more than glad to explain all the details.
    - - Other:
    By "other" I refer to the icons of the different EMCs, the icon of the "Transmutation book" and the icons of the tables.
    Not the most urgent thing... but any help will be welcome.
    Constructive feedback will always be welcome, especially balances and functionality wise.
    This point is not so critical as my lack of artistic skills, but if you, like me, can't draw a straight line with a ruler, but want to help, just do it with polite and constructive feedback.
    - - Vanilla:
    For every table, for every tier, witch vanilla items should you be able to study?
    Is the item description clear and adequate for vanilla races?
    etc.
    - - FU:
    Exactly the same as for "Vanilla", but for "FrackinUniverse".
    I do really want to provide full integration with it from the first version.
    - - Elithean Alliance:
    Exactly the same as for "Vanilla", but for "Elithean Alliance".
    I do really want to provide full integration with it from the first version.
    - - Other:
    Did I miss something in any of the points before?
    If so, please let me know.

Attached Files:

2. AlbertoRota

Just to share some updated with you, and to encourage you to collaborate, let me show you how I imagine the:

Tier 1 Mine transmutation table.
    [​IMG]

On the left side, you can see a little animation of several T1 ores (Coal, iron, and copper) being transmutated.
    On the right side, you can see the alchemical fire where you will burn the things you can't study.

I will imagine the rest of the T1 tables to be pretty similar:
    • Farm: Potato, carrot, and cotton on the left and green-ish fire on the right.
    • Hunt: Raw steak, sharpened claw, and living root on the left and red-ish fire on the right.
    Once more, if you feel that you can do it better, and you do want to collaborate, step ahead and drop a comment!

3. AlbertoRota

Hello again!
    Here you can see how the UI is right now:
    [​IMG]

There are a lot of things to be polished, but it's far better than I anticipated! :nuruawe:

4. AlbertoRota

A new update for you all, I've been drawing a bit and another table has been finished.

T1 Farm transmutation table:
    [​IMG]

I do really like this one more than the "Mine transmutation table", maybe I will re-do the mine one at some point.

As always, any feedback and collaboration will be welcome!

5. AlbertoRota

Hello again!

Is taking me more than expected, but here you have a new update:
    T1 Hunt transmutation table:
    [​IMG]

I've also added recipes and placeholders up to T3.

Once I re-do the art of the "Mine table", the mod will be feature complete for T1 (Lust and forest planets, up to floran quest.) and I will release it.
    As always, any feedback and collaboration will be welcome!

6. AlbertoRota