1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue "Exception occured" crashing game?

Discussion in 'Support' started by olliepops, Oct 13, 2019.

1. olliepops

olliepops Void-Bound Voyager

Hello! Apologies if I do anything wrong in posting this, I read through the rules and stuff but I am not a frequent forum user.

My Stardew Valley game has been regularly messing up for the last few weeks, no matter what I do. It will crash almost every time I go to sleep, often without saving the day's work. It won't open older save files, including my Year Six original save. I thought this occurred due to overmodding, so I tried uninstalling all my mods including SMAPI, but the problems persisted.

I uninstalled the game several times, first just through steam, and then following up a steam uninstall by going through my library and deleting everything left over that I could find, including my save backups (I'd rather be able to play at all than keep my saves). However, when I reinstall, all of the saves are still there (??) and so are the issues with crashing.

When I install and run the game with SMAPI, the terminal gives me a lot of red error code, and I sort of figure fixing that will fix my game- I don't know what any of it means, but I put it up on pastebin in hopes that someone reading this will know how to fix it. It looks to me like SDV is looking for deleted saves, but the named save files haven't existed in a very long time and are not in my game at all anymore.

I just want to play Stardew Valley :( I'm not very computer savvy, so I have no idea what to do here. I would appreciate any help.

This is the pastebin of the terminal stuff: https://pastebin.com/Y8Y7Vttm
    I am on Mac, and I play Stardew Valley through steam and smapi 2.11.3

edit: the pastebin is hard to parse, the red error text starts at line 14 and ends at 29

• marky1991

marky1991 Void-Bound Voyager

Have you tried playing without mods and seeing if the problem goes away?

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

The errors mean some of your saves (Kez_230519142 and Vera_215469228) are missing a file, probably because the game was interrupted mid-save (e.g. the game was quit before it finished saving). Note that the saves aren't stored in the same folder as the game itself. Fortunately that's easy to fix; see Saves#Troubleshooting on the wiki for more info.

We'll need more info to help with the crashes. If you come ask in #modding on the Stardew Valley Discord, we'll help you get everything fixed.