Modding Help Extended/Additional Item Tab

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by zilgaant, Jan 22, 2017.

1. zilgaant

zilgaant Subatomic Cosmonaut

How to make an additional item tab inside a item recipe on an item crafting table?
    for helping on categorizing recipes when you have a LOT of them. So,
    It works like :
    (example)

Apothecary crafting table
    -----------------------------------------
    Heath tab
    > Poison Antidote
    > Burn Antidote
    > Freeze Antidote

to

Apothecary crafting table
    ----------------------------------------
    Health tab
    > Antidotes
    |----> Poison Antidote
    |----> Burn Antidote
    |----> Freeze Antidote

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to do this? is there any mod out there that does this kind of recipe-ing?
    please let me know if you do, Thanks a lot
    and here's some cookies :cookie::cookie:

2. Mioure

Mioure Scruffy Nerf-Herder

as far as I know, no one has tried to make sub-tabs in crafting tables. I'm sure its possible with a little extra coding to hide tabs and create new groups, but the complexity of the mod may actually be too difficult for anyone who isn't already highly skilled in code manipulation.

For someone like me, it would be impossible, because I don't know how to create from scratch. I'm sure this type of code would be extremely useful, but until someone better than me does it successfully, it will only be a dream.

3. zilgaant

yes it is, because i'm making a weapon tree, i thought i would be very useful. not just weapons, anything with HUGE mods that adds a lot recipes instead of a lot of craftingtable will absolutely need this for easier and enjoyable crafting. but now, crafting table is the solution, but it would be awesome if we don't have to put to many crafting table that we need, instead work on categorize-ing items for better user expirience.

and me either, i'm nowhere in that group of skilled people, i'm still in "casual" group of modder, only tweak some json, never touch lua...

and what does this kind of mod really need? lua ofc, new GUI? i still can't think of anything..

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You want to add sub menus? If you are just looking to add additional filter tabs to an existing menu, that is doable, but sub menus are not, assuming I am understanding what you are looking for.

5. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I wonder if it might be doable by having all the subtabs exist, but have them be hidden until you press one of the main tabs, which hides the main tabs and reveals the appropriate subtabs and a false subtab that acts as a back button (i.e. it hides all subtabs and then reveals the main tabs).

6. zilgaant

@lazarus78 yes submenus, like sub-tabs,

@DraikNova Yea! something like that! is pressing the main tab will direct you to another GUI? or just like filtering (i mean all other recipe will be hidden and only the sub-tabs appear)? or will pop like dropdown menu inside the GUI? hmm..

7. lazarus78

That isn't possible.

8. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Well, submenus might be possible by having the crafting station opening something that's not actually a proper crafting view, but just a bunch of buttons that open the crafting views with the subcategories just being normal categories. It'd require a lot of work and some lua knowledge, though.

9. lazarus78

Probably, but I doubt the work would be worth the outcome.

10. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Eh, if one person figures it out, it can be reused for many other mods. Looking at the lists of craftable items you get with some modded crafting tables, it'd probably at least quarter the average time needed to find items. Plus, it could allow for more complex crafting in general by reusing the button to crafting station code to link to some sort of minigame.

11. zilgaant

yeahh, many other people could use this, i myself made a Weapon Tree system and because of that, 1 weapon is now evolved to 25+ recipes... and i think tht this kind of thing could helps a lot when surfing thru a lots of recipes and you don't need to use many crafting stations.