Falling trees do damage

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by General Nuclear, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

Fine as a mod, but I wouldn't want this in the base game. Having helped chop down trees before, falling trees are terrifying enough when you have three dimensions to dodge in.

2. Warped Perspectiv

Warped Perspectiv Pangalactic Porcupine

Dude, don't necro dead threads.

3. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Existential Complex

He's the OP, I don't see anything wrong with trying to revive an old thread of his.

4. Warped Perspectiv

Well it just seems like if he's adamant for this, it'd be best to look to the modding community to have this made into a mod.
    Also my apologies for this post sounding a bit uptight or something, it's not meant to be taken as such. I'm just saying I think this idea would work best as a mod.

5. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

We have loosened the rules in to necroing dead threads last year.
    But keep in mind when you do the thread should still be valid and the post you necro with should contain useful information.

With that said General - Saying it should be in game or a mod - is not considered constructive addition unless you wish to post you progressed into the development of this feature.

Also the updates to the rules - includes don't say "You necro'd a thread"
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/forum-irc-rules-updated-april-8th-2014.2/

==
    Moral of the story - if you see an issue just report it.
    We will handle the rest.

6. Warped Perspectiv

Yeah I noticed that after I had posted and apologize for that. Did notice we can now actually post in dead threads if we're adding to the discussion, which is a nice change of pace.

7. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

:idea: I have discovered one way to solve the 2D paradox lets just say all you have to do is to dodge the tree and to dodge the tree you need to jump like if you dodge out of the way don,t mather if you jump backwards or forwards as long as you jump you dodge

:geek:Programering design
    I think you can make a invisible sideways triangle on the tree when it falls and every one that stand in it gets a invisible effect with a timer that take damege when it runs out, the effekt get cancel if you hit the space bar
    or just run out of the triangle

Boss,s get a shortere timer because the size flying ones just need to step in the triangle to activet the effect

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  8. General Nuclear

still no one that want to help me?

9. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

10. General Nuclear

this idea was the reason i joined the forum that and it was boring to wait for the update so i thought i could help in some way that the update would go faster... did't know how though

11. Jackson Brown

Jackson Brown Astral Cartographer

Yes. This would also add some strategy to choosing your techs.

"Can I dash fast enough, or do I want FTL?"
    "Do I want to blink to the other side of falling trees?"
    "Can I rocket boost over it fast enough?"

All 3 slots would seem to have a viable option.

Also, would enemies try to get out of the way?
    What about those with the dash attack?

Sounds like fun.

General Nuclear likes this.
  12. Belawuan

Belawuan Void-Bound Voyager

I like everything that make the game more realistic - so i had the same idea. But there should be not much damage because of the game balance. The damage should belong to type of tree.

13. Jackson Brown

Jackson Brown Astral Cartographer

Also, how high the part of tree fell. Getting hit by a piece that was near the root should hurt < a piece that was halfway up the trunk < a piece that was near the top < a piece that fell a long way down a cliff.

Maybe make sand, gravel, bones, eyes, and other gravity affected materials hurt a little based on material and length of fall (e.g. gravel should start hurting from shorter falls than, and hurt more at the same distance falls as eyeballs).

14. General Nuclear

seeing that dread wing have been made a quest now means that it should be easier to make a mod where you use the trees to defeat him because you can just replace the trees that are already there with some identical ones

gonna make a new mod help thread soon just need to be sure i'm propley rested first before i do it

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    The Squid likes this.
  15. General Nuclear

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021