Far-fetched Theories and Paradoxes; The stuff that keeps you awake at night.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PWNn00bsdaily, Apr 29, 2016.

1. PWNn00bsdaily

PWNn00bsdaily Astral Cartographer

*Ends Task Manager with Task Manager* *computer explodes*

DustyScabbard and MilkCalf like this.
  2. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

ending task manager with task manager isn't really a paradox though. it's perfectly understandable for a program to close itself.

3. PWNn00bsdaily

PWNn00bsdaily Astral Cartographer

Yeah, but its just Task Manager-Ception, and i was bored af

4. HueHuey

HueHuey Parsec Taste Tester

What happens if an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?

5. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

The ground underneath the immovable object will break up and while the immovable object itself may not be moving the ground under it will be.

Or at least that was the case for The Juggernaut vs The Blob. For anyone who know nothing about the X-men series The Juggernaut power is that he simply can not be stopped once he start moving. Likewise though The Blob power is that he can not be moved unless a being is strong enough to lift him up though regardless he can't be moved by pushing. I believe the technical stuff behind his power is that he create a gravity field to keep him in place.

If you meant what if an unstoppable force hit an immovable object in outer space or midair then I would have to guess the unstoppable force will always be moving, just not the way you want (instead of forward the object start spinning against the immovable object like a screw ball) while the immovable object might have friction against it, it is still technically not moving as the unstoppable force is the one doing all of the work. Basically they both will keep on doing what they are doing but without effecting each other, though in reality an unstoppable force can't exist as the energy will have to come from somewhere.

MilkCalf and HueHuey like this.
  6. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

minutephysics covered it. tldr they go through each other

also my favourite far fetched theory was brought up on qi, and it's basically that some monarch wanted to live through a particular year so they "fast forwarded" time by a few hundred years. supporting evidence is essentially that nothing of significance happened in the dark ages and there's some fucky tax records around the time it's supposed to have happened. we're actually in the 1600s right now (or something i forget tbh). either way, whenever i remember it, i always think "hah, neat."

also there is mathematical proof for no free will.

MilkCalf likes this.
  7. Bonabopn

omg that's what i thought would happen
    i am so smart :D

rhomboid and MilkCalf like this.
  8. Spicynoodle

Spicynoodle Void-Bound Voyager

Time is a man-made concept, so what if there was no time?

9. HueHuey

But it isn't
    The universe isn't frozen in place

10. Bonabopn

If there were no time, there would be time.
    Consider a timer that starts at 0:00. How long does it take for nothing to happen? Zero seconds. What happens after that? Well either nothing will happen, or something will happen.
    What if we skip forward to 0:01? If we're past 0, it's impossible for something to not have happened. We cannot reach 0:01 using only nothings, so something has to have happened!
    Regardless of how much infinite nothing there is, it will always be followed by a something. And if that something is followed by more infinite nothing, there will be a second something after it.
    (How much nothing do you think happened while you read this post?)

11. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

In a way it is. Things that happened before repeat themselves, which goes against the prospect of time moving forward. People are poor and wars start, which leads to unity, prosperity and peace. Repeat. Or how about the fact that there will allways exist both good and bad, order and chaos. And if you think on an universal scale: New stars are born constantly and old ones are dying constantly too.

12. Spicynoodle

Spicynoodle Void-Bound Voyager

But only man made time. No one else. Our universe is infinite, always expanding. It's never ending... thus we're here and gone, and things keep going. There is no time. Time was only invented for ourselves, but it isn't real -- its only a concept for measurement. So if there was no time, how would things go? That's what i'm getting at. What if time was never around?

13. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

entropy is inescapable. there is time.

PWNn00bsdaily likes this.
  14. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

I think there are paralell universes/alternate dimensions. It might just be that I'm crazy, but sometimes I see things out of the corner of my eye that register as movement of some kind, but when I look there's nothing around that could have moved. I like to think that just for a moment, I was able to see into an alternate dimension. Perhaps the dimensional wall was weak in that area.

15. HueHuey

Maybe it was just the optic nerve doing weird things.
    Or maybe because cells near the edges of our vision are more sensitive to light and movement than ones in the center (which have more resolution and color), maybe you saw something so slight that only that region of your eyes can see it. Like the fluorescent lights above my bed, which i can still see glowing in green after a while, but only if i don't look at them directly

16. PixelOdin

PixelOdin Void-Bound Voyager

I suppose that would mean that nothing would ever change and everything would be constant. There would be no past, present or future. I suppose this would also mean nothing would exist at all.

17. lilly_ampleton

lilly_ampleton Void-Bound Voyager

I often have dreams where I repeatedly visit the exact same three places again and again. There is a medical clinic, an indoor swimming pool and a flat.
    I've never been to these places IRL but I can describe them in so many deatils. They aren't weird like normal dream places. They could easily exist for real.
    I know for certain that I've been there in multiple dreams. I have a dream diary where I write down my dreams (in hopes of one day mastering lucid dreaming) so I know that it wasn't just the dream itself making me belive I've dreamed of this before. If I were better at drawing I could put these places on paper.
    What does this mean? I don't really believe in former lifes but I have no other explanation for those places.
    Every time I dream of them I feel uneasy but also familiar....

PWNn00bsdaily likes this.
  18. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

I've had a similar experience, similarly there are a few places I've gone several times in my dreams. There's a cafe of some sort, and next door to that cafe is a liquor store. Every so often I end up back in that little strip mall where those two are located. It seems awfully weird to me.

lilly_ampleton likes this.
  19. lilly_ampleton

lilly_ampleton Void-Bound Voyager

And what, if I may ask is your expleation for this strange phenomenon? I haven't really made my mind up yet. Maybe it's a place I have been to but simply can't remember. But that is very unlikel because it is 3 places.

20. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Well supposedly everything you see in your dreams is something you've seen in life. Now I KNOW I've never been to that cafe before so I figure it's built out of bits of other places that I've seen. Perhaps that's how it works for you as well? Don't know, it's a theory.

lilly_ampleton likes this.