1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Faster Combat - Vanilla DPS 2016-08-23

Faster Combat damage made vanilla!

1. Gurudo99

Gurudo99 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Gurudo99 submitted a new mod:

Faster Combat - Vanilla DPS - Faster Combat damage made vanilla!

Read more about this mod...

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I don't want to be "that guy," but I have to be. DPS in the context of games is broadly accepted to mean "damage per second" not "damage per swing." Such that doing 5 damage per hit and being able to hit once every 2.5 seconds amounts to 2 DPS. Doing 1 damage per hit and being able to do 2 attacks per second also amounts to 2 DPS. Or otherwise stated -

raw damage per hit / time (in seconds) between attacks = DPS.

It works the same with high rate of fire guns as it does slow hammers. This number exists so that people can know how much total damage their weapon can do over time (without having to do the math in their head). This is a useful thing to know especially if your enemy is going to take some time to kill. Redefining a term which is so widely used is going to cause confusion. This is so widely understood a convention that I'm honestly surprised I even need to make this post. I don't mean to come across as rude, but that's just what it is.

Your mod here - which maintains the vanilla damage per hit while increasing the frequency of attack - represents a net increase to DPS. When I read that title as is, I took it to mean that you attack more often but for less damage per hit (therefore balancing out the DPS). Using the standard definition, that's exactly what most are going to assume. Only by reading further did I learn what actual effect the mod has.

3. Gurudo99

I am aware of the usual meaning behind DPS in most games, but Starbound is an exception as it has two meanings. One meaning is Damage Per Swing, which is typically abbreviated DPS in Starbound, and the other is damage per second, which is typically abbreviated dps or Dps in Starbound. At least that's how I have seen it used in other mods, posts, and vanilla Starbound files that I have seen. So in the term of "Vanilla DPS" as in the title, I mean vanilla Damage Per Swing, not damage per second.

Crusism likes this.
  4. Gurudo99

Also, since this is an addon for my other mod, the meaning of the way I am using DPS should be clear.

5. Crusism

Crusism Big Damn Hero

I know this might be a crazy question but what if the cooldown is lowered even further?

6. Gurudo99

As in make the weapons attack faster?

7. Crusism

Crusism Big Damn Hero

Yep; just asking because guns are still rather dominant despite this. I mean, I'm not saying supersonic speed but perhaps faster?

Also, I've always wanted to ask about this: do I install both 'Faster Combat' and 'Faster Combat - Vanilla DPS' or just 'Faster Combat - Vanilla DPS'?

I currently have both installed into my mods folder as you mentioned 'Faster Combat - Vanilla DPS' to be 'an addon'. X'D

8. Gurudo99

Yes you indeed need both. I wouldn't really say guns are dominant to melee with my mod, since guns use energy and melee attacks don't. It all depends on how you build your character. To answer your question though, yes I COULD make an addon for my mod to make them faster. I might make it sometime soon if I don't get distracted.

Crusism likes this.
  9. Crusism

Crusism Big Damn Hero

Thanks for the clarification... =)

Ah... I can see that: I've built my character now in a way where my energy would be self-sustaining (and end up letting me shoot like Rambo X'D), so, for a new character, your mods make melee attacks more viable since guns would require careful caution on energy usage early in-game. Hmm... Now that you mentioned this, I should make a character focused only on melee to see how it would go with the current mods.

I would appreciate that very much for the choice and testing! =D

10. Gurudo99

Yea, try a new character focused around melee and see if these mods work well for you first. If you still would like faster weapons then I will heavily consider making another addon.

Crusism likes this.