1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Faster Gold - EXP rates!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by vexxed, May 29, 2013.

1. vexxed

vexxed Space Penguin Leader

Hey, I'm aware that this issue has been discussed on several occasions of the course of the game development but only recently has it effected my experience of the game. Before an hour is reached this is hardly an issue but as you reach the stages where you earn in the 100,000's it can take a monumental amount of time simply waiting to reach the next level! I had $813,000 during one play-through.

To those who disagree with my opinion on too much time spent waiting for this transfer, this took 22 minutes!

Alvin Flummox likes this.
    • Jone991

Jone991 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Haha i'm just playing and i have this same frigging problems have over 400k in every level, and that took long convert to exp

• Alvin Flummox

Alvin Flummox Existential Complex

Yeah definitely agree. I don't really see why it can't just be almost instant regardless of the amount of money anyway.

• betasword

betasword Void-Bound Voyager

From the bugs thread:

• vexxed

I still don't think that's quick enough, by stacks of 500 I assume they mean per second. And if I remember correctly I calculated that the current rate is around 196 (So 180-200), which $2.3 million took an hour to get rid of, which with the new rate would still take a considerable time! Ofcourse this is my assumption and I could be wrong

• Event Horizon

Event Horizon Big Damn Hero

It should take a percentage of cash per second whereby it takes 5 seconds or so to switch levels.

• okok111

okok111 Pangalactic Porcupine

I believe that at the moment they are doing it in about 1/5, so this'll increase the speed dramatically. Oh, and I believe that it's per "tick", or whatever you wanna call it.
                EDIT: Thank you to excavater for the correction, it's currently 50 per tick/step/whatever.

• Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

I'm almost certain it's 500 every step, 50 per step is the current rate.

• betasword

betasword Void-Bound Voyager

At the old rate, money ran down at ~$36,000 per minute. At the new rate, it'll be ~$360,000. So a lot better than the current, but it'll still take a bit later on in the game. On the bright side, $2,000,000 will only take about 5.5 minutes, instead of 55.5 minutes.

• okok111

They could, of course, do it by percentage. That would be the most adaptable, and it'd be the same speed every time.

• vexxed

In hindsight this is obviously a massive improvement, but still 5.5 mins at any rate to wait doing nothing is hardly acceptable (i've never known a game to do it before). So I definately agree with having it change via percentages rather than a fixed value, i'd like to hear what the developers feelings are about the matter, is it an important feature of the end of the level for them?

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

Wouldn't that make it slow down exponentially as the gold pile gets lower and lower?

• Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

It would only calculate the percentage of the gold when you press the button to activate the teleporter. After that, it wouldn't change again.

• okok111

It depends on how it's coded. If you had it so that it saved the amount of gold you have when you activate the teleporter as a variable, then create another variable which is the amount to drain (goldonteleporteractivation / 10 / roomspeed) and had it so that it drained that amount per second then played around with how to deal with the leftover, you'd have a nice system that made it take 10 seconds every time (excluding how you deal with the leftover, but that could be dealt with by using the current system at the end, and it'd ony take one more step using the 50 per tick, which is a fraction of a second). But if it was dynamic and was based upon the percentage, then yes, it would be exponentially longer near the end and take a theoretically infinite amount of time, unless it rounded up. However, any problems with the first can be resolved with a quick if statement or three, and you can set exactly how long you want it to take by changing the middle value in the amount of gold to turn into xp per step equation.
                              EDIT: Aww.... Excavater JUST beat me to the explanation. T_T