1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Favorite Memories from Angry Koala beta

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Kordharin, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Kordharin

Kordharin Big Damn Hero

I know it's been about five years since I first played Starbound, but some things just don't leave my memory from those ancient times.

Energy Dash - So while the Air Dash Tech is cool these days, the Energy Dash was awesome. It had almost no cooldown, and could be used to essentially "fly" across worlds.

One of the Grenade Launchers I had found had this fun little thing the grenades did: They hovered in place mere moments after being fired. This might have been annoying for super-aggressive all-out attackers, but I loved it. I'm more defensive when it comes to Ranged combat, so that Grenade Launcher was perfect for me.

I really miss being able to blow up the terrain with just a Rocket Launcher. Yes, we have Bombs, but I was content with launching missile after missile at the ground. It really helped with tunneling through Deserts and Tentacle planets.

Speaking of which, the Tentacle Planets and Desert Planets had my favorite music. I miss the Tentacle Exploration and Tentacle Battle songs. I have a couple ideas where those could be used. (Tentacle Exploration 1 would be on the Ruin. Tentacle Battle would be against the Heart of Ruin. Tentacle Exploration 2 would be during the fall of the Protectorate.)

I'd really like to see more references to Rubium, Cerulium, and Impervium. I never got that far in the progression of armors and weapons.

The "multiple sectors" thing was a challenge, and I liked it. I only ever made it to the X Sector once. I miss that character…

The name generator was quite entertaining. If only I could look through the names again.

Oh yeah, and the U.S.C.M. were bad-asses. United! Systems! Colonial Marines! We're big, we're tough, and our guns are mean! (Yeah, never saying that again.)

I liked having unique weapons for each race. One broadsword would have the same stats as the other, but the name and appearance of the weapon was different.

Oh, this bit was the best: You could fight the Bosses... In mass numbers! I could fight 5 Dreadwings, 6 Bone Dragons, 4 Fatal Circuits, and 5 Jelly Bosses! Self-imposed challenge that I could beat, after practicing a little, and getting a crazy strong weapon with some awesome armor.

2. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

If it was stable on previous updates then that's the no.1 that most players miss...

3. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

I just hope I could see the USCM back in action again.

4. Catherine Franz

Peacekeepers are the new U.S.C.M. I think...

5. Kordharin

Kordharin Big Damn Hero

Not even close, kid.

I really would like that. Just for fun, I'm going to be building a Colonial Marines base.

6. Catherine Franz

Now that the ruin is dead, we need another villain...Time to solve the mysteries of the Erchius 'coz no one really knows what IT even is...

7. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Hmm... Can't say I liked the sector thing... However the worlds were more.... random and varied in a sense; that much I did like.

What I miss is the tool bar, as that was an interesting feature I utilized to some extent. That is about it beyond what is missing in constructs around the universe.

8. Catherine Franz

A floran that's also a wizard = totally a retired Greenfinger

9. Dalboz

Dalboz Phantasmal Quasar

I miss certain objects. The Star Trek TNG helm chairs for instance apparently vanished? Is it possible at all to bring some of the things back which are in my screen shot below:
    [​IMG]

If these things still exist, like the TNG chairs, can someone help point me in the right direction of where to find them? I can't see them in the item list of my mod here that makes items for me.

10. Kordharin

Kordharin Big Damn Hero

Yeah, the tool bar was great. 20 more slots to use for your main items. And being able to choose any combination was great, too.

11. Luna Celestica

Luna Celestica Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm pretty sure the U.S.C.M. were changed because Chucklefish wanted to move the humans away from just being a giant Aliens reference.

I miss the beta weapons too. I get that they basically made the randomly generated weapons pointless since you could craft any weapon type you wanted out of any material. Personally I think it would have been better to make the randomized weapons rarer and more powerful so they would stand out from the standard weapons rather than culling the standard weapons. The main thing I really miss though is how randomized and colorful planets used to be, post 1.0 it seems like every planet is "Earth but slightly different".

Also, if you didn't make it to the high-level tiers you really missed out. I always had a blast wearing a full Impervium set and using that one staff to level sections of planets.

Kordharin likes this.
  12. FoxDE2

FoxDE2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Legendary Grenade Launchers. Those were the best, and once you had them you didn't worry about if your gear was top notch.

Kordharin likes this.
  13. Yumiru

Yumiru Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The randomized planets were my favorite, but also the feature of varied gravity? Some planets would have 'regular' gravity, some would have heavier, and some would have way less and jumping around was super fun then.

Luna Celestica likes this.