1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Race

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by FearnWAZZA, May 11, 2016.

1. achaven

achaven Poptop Tamer

Am I the only one that likes the hylotl!?!?!?!?!?

Tamorr, FearnWAZZA and Jimlad 42 like this.
  2. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

For me , it's :

• Races, with a good concept but ,in my opinion, critical flaws :
    1. Apex . I like their design, the Idea and all that, but their Armor sometimes looks odd and the male Apex look fat in everything.
    2. Florans. I also like their design a lot, and yet the leaf shoulders sometimes really irritate when wearing casual clothing.
    3. Avians . Guess what, i like their design a lot, but again, they look too much like the bird-version of an apex. They are too much human, they could be more bird and they also seem fat sometimes.
    4. Glitch . Really a fan of the medieval robots, but their necks... THEIR NECKS ... Oh and they tend to always look weird in casual clothing.
    • Races ,that are meh~ish :
    1. Hylotl. Cool design, females mostly look creepy as hell, and the armor is sometimes really crayyyyzey.
    2. Humans. Female humans got a pixel error in their clothing ( at least the starter clothing) and male humans look like lazy couch potatoes. Lack of good hairstyles at the moment.
    [​IMG]

Novakid? Meh , not sure. I don't have anything against them, but i feel like way to many people are playing them and that's why i actually dislike them. Went on a public server once, there were mostly novakids that were actually rude to other races. RAISE AWARENESS.

Ultimately , i can say: If they release 1.0 with a Glitch that actually has a neck, i might go for a glitch. Currently i'm rooting for Apex, still,because they look pretty dumb and i kinda like that, and i'm also a fan of the floran, simply because i can make my character look like a super hero.

[​IMG]

Axe Garian, FearnWAZZA and Jimlad 42 like this.
  3. Another Kevin

I actually wish that the races had more of a personality in terms of actions. That would actually help some races a lot, for example an Apex with a bulkier running animation, or a Floran that walks on quick feet. I'd love it if you could tell which race is running over there in thick armor only by investigating it's way of moving. Imagine a Novakid that always has it's hands on the hips like a western hero , ready to shoot their guns ( as long as they don't carry a weapon ofc. ( but we all know, who draws first, dies first)) . Back then ,when i saw the first avian art out there , i was really hoping for such unique behaviors , but instead, i had to realize.. that you can't even carry a shield with a spear. :chrono:[​IMG]

Axe Garian and Jimlad 42 like this.
  4. Wingidon

Wingidon Phantasmal Quasar

RAISE AWARENESS!

Glitch necks, I never noticed anything about their necks (because they lack it?). And it's kind of a shame that glitch-specific armor is more often than not glitch-exclusive stuff.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  5. Another Kevin

Their necks are so dark and tiny, it sometimes seems like they have none.

[​IMG]

6. Tet the Zoologist

Tet the Zoologist Space Penguin Leader

I like penguins. Ther space-pirate-waterfowl! But my favorite is payable race is the novakid, because I like the cowboy theme.

7. Eonwulf

Eonwulf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My three favorite are Novakid, Hyltol, Glitch.
    The Novakid are just the most aesthetically pleasing to me.
    I like these Japenese influence of the Hyltol the most.
    And the medieval style of the Glitch is also really nice.

Axe Garian, FearnWAZZA and Jimlad 42 like this.
  8. Shadow20218

Shadow20218 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Apexes>Glitches>Novakids>Humans>Hylotl>Avians>Florans

Apex are my favorite because they seem to have the most advanced and futuristic style of ship and armor, and I also like their style of stating what they mean.
    Note: my primary characters are all apex.
    Glitch second for the character only because I don't like the armor or ship, their style of text is helpful but not very interesting.
    Novakids third because the western style is not my thing, I do however love the character design.
    Humans next because I like their ship and armor but the characters comments and appearance are not my favorite.
    Hylotl next because I like their cultured ways but don't like their style of speech and find it needlessly complex.
    Avians because I like their jewel powered tech, though this cannot be acquired with the character and are mainly found in dungeons and villages, though it is still avian.
    Florans - Uncivilized, bad comments, primitive, dislike the character design.
    Florans are a disgrace to the space age travelers of starbound.

Though I do find the aspect of teaching a floran to be civilized a rather interesting(and almost impossible) challenge.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    Jimlad 42 likes this.
  9. Tet the Zoologist

I feel like that's a bit unfair to call them uncivilized (and a little racist). They may seem uncivalized compared to western civilization, but they are very inteligent and have adopted and reverse engineered foreign technology to suit their needs, and figured out space travle in avery short amount of time compared to humans. And their "vicious" and canabalisticnature, is simply their culture.

10. Siubagak

Siubagak Void-Bound Voyager

Florass's the bessst!

delaquarte and Jimlad 42 like this.
  11. Siubagak

Siubagak Void-Bound Voyager

Floransss aren't ucivilized and premitve. They are jussst huntersss. Jewel-based tech is alwys cool. I aslo like Avian's egyptian culture. Humans are the worst. Apex're a bit rude nad gitch are barely programed.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    Jimlad 42 likes this.
  12. Combozone

Combozone Existential Complex

(If you can't tell from profile pic, it's Avian.)
    Despite their AWFUL starter clothing, the Avians get some pretty nice armor (Especially once you hit T2), and their lore is really fascinating to me.
    Also airship pirates. Airship pirates make them cool.
    Hylotls are a CLOSE second, because their starter clothing doesn't suck, and they also have a nice lore and cool looking weaponry.

FearnWAZZA and Jimlad 42 like this.
  13. Omegagreen

Omegagreen Starship Captain

No way, those are my favourites too!
    My reasons: The glitch look a lot like a character I invented before I discovered this game. Also, I probably need to state my emotions before I speak as well (you haven't heard me talk) I always go for robots.
    I pretty much act like a Novakid (minus the cowboyspeak) I do wear a bandana though. I have a deep kinship with Novakids. The only difference is I'm extremely uncoordinated and have the aim like a cross-eyed Agaran (even in-game) so playing as them is difficult.
    Dunno, Hylotl just look cool (also, it's the only race I prefer to play as female)
    It's too bad that at the end of the day, no matter how interesting their lore is, they always end up being a human hardcore cosplayer gameplaywise. By default, humans are always my least favourite because they're everywhere and I get bored of seeing them in games where you can play as a non-human.
    Florans come in as a second, because they are just funny to read their comments. Apparently, the one true answer is ssstab.
    I like the Apex classic authoritarian society as a bit of cruel comedy and everyone's priceless reactions.
    The Avians tie with the Apex because their tech is really cool and I like airships. (Dev team, allow me a colander please)
    Overall, I am probably a weird oven person.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  14. OneLessLonelyGlitch

OneLessLonelyGlitch Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As much as i love Glitch, i wish that they were wild west robots instead. My top 5 are Glitch, Novakid, Avian, Apex, and Hylotl. Floran is too primitive and dumb for my taste, and i HATE Humans. If i wanted to play a sci-fi game with unique races, why pick a human?

15. Tet the Zoologist

okay, for the love of spaghetti monster, stop saying florans are stupid and primitive. I know it's a video game, and i'm kinda being a twt by posting this, but effing seriously its annoying. I'm not really trying to say that my opinion is more superior than yours, but come on, that's your reasoning for not liking florans. first, you need to actually read up on floran lore. florans are of course a race of carnivorous plant people with a culture like that of southern African tribes, that were able to reverse engineer alien technology. they were then able to develop space travel a lot quicker than other races. but wait, florans are just dumb and primitive, so how could a they actually figure out space travel? and also, how come people always call florans dumb, primitive brutes with no emotions and only use their predatory instincts? I swear this is so ffffffricking stupid I might actually have to make this into a topic itself. so, I guess my arguement is, if florans are so primitive and stupid, how could they already develop space travel, and have a complex culture?
    side note, just because a group of people (or in this case, aliens) isn't as advanced culturally, doesn't make them primitive. the Europeans had that same mentality and look what happened to everyone else on planet earth.

16. BloodyMonarch

BloodyMonarch Astral Cartographer

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  17. BroHaven

BroHaven Poptop Tamer

Nova kid is where its at for sure, to bad all the armor is western tho

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  18. emeraldgreen72

emeraldgreen72 Phantasmal Quasar

Novakid cause I love old western movies and the Wild West in general the guns the clothes the bandits it's just a really cool time period

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  19. MACTONIGHT

MACTONIGHT Orbital Explorer

Humans, because im not a furry

N155 and Jimlad 42 like this.
  20. Tet the Zoologist

Your arguement is invalid