Floran lore.

Discussion in 'Other' started by Wreth, May 31, 2015.

1. Wreth

Wreth Phantasmal Quasar

So I have been playing starbound since the beginning. I absolutely love it, steam says I have over 3000 hours.

I love the lore of the starbound universe and I think I have read all the lore codexes, and love using the inspect function of the different races to get little snippets of their lore and culture.

I love the florans and their lore. However I noticed some of the dialogue in the nightly seems to contradict floran lore.

Chucklefish themselves have mentioned how florans are expansionist, and how their society is a sort of collective.

Presumably the floran collective is all the tribal florans working together to spread, consume and multiply.

Tribal florans as a whole seem to be quite unified. In a lore codex greenfinger says this:

''Ever since our two species came together, the Glitch have been a source of intrigue for me. The Hivemind Glitch remind me of our people in many ways; singularly driven, focus on teamwork. And yet the Florans work as a unit through choice, but the Glitch appear connected to some kind of central mainframe.''

Now he is talking about the glitch but this codex gives a lot of information about floran culture too since he is discussing what makes florans and glitch similar. He says that florans are ''singuarly driven, focused on teamwork'', and that florans work as a unit, though importantly by choice.

Personally it makes the most sense to me that florans would be a mostly unified race, especially since the tribal floran society is described as a collective, and as a less advanced race than the other races, they'd need to work together to successfuly fight them, which according to the lore codexes is exactly what they do.

Obviously there are a few florans that realise the lack of morality in invading planets, eating people and stealing their technology, and leave the main floran civilisation. As chucklefish said themselves about the floran:

''Individual Florans have been known to split apart from their society to lead their own lives in isolation or in the solace of other races, at the cost of being cut off from the collective and considered enemies of all flora for good.''

But again this seems to imply that they disagree with floran treatment of other races, not floran infighting.

Here is another example of ingame dialogue that mentions how florans are generally good to each other.

[​IMG]

However in the Nightly, Nuru says this:

[​IMG]

and this.
    [​IMG]

Nuru seems to criticise that florans fight amongs themselves instead of working together, whilst all the other lore codexes mention that florans fighting amongst themselves is not a common thing and florans are actually quite unified and work well together. The bad part of their culture, is the fact that florans kill and eat the other races without a second thought, not the fighting between themselves.

Nuru does however have dialogue that fits in with the lore that existed before her implementation, about her doubting the aggressiveness of the floran race.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chucklefish themselves have said

''Their aggressive nature appears to be borne from a lack of a concept of non-plant life as opposed to outright contempt. Owing to their relatively young age as a species, this tenet dominates their culture and justifies their treatment of visiting races, though there are signs of some beginning to question this, implying that Floran individuals might not be inherently “evil” as previously thought.''

Which again in my opinion confirms the idea that florans work together and treat each other pretty well but are horrifically cruel to everyone else, or any floran that criticises floran aggression towards the other races, but as long as a floran adopts tribal floran culture, other florans tend to be pretty good to each other.

So in my opinion and based on the floran lore that existed before Nuru, floran civilisation is a tribal, and primitive, highly aggressive civilisation that works well in unity and teamwork, but they use this unity and teamwork to do terrible things to the other races or florans that leave the collective. Nuru's statements seem to contradrict pre-existing floran lore, and also in my opinion make the race less interesting and unique, as the idea of a massive hyper-aggressive, tribal collective, with some florans leaving to live more moral lives, was pretty cool in my opinion.

Essentially my suggestion is to keep the floran lore consistent, and have character dialogue match what the lore writer at chucklefish have written for the florans.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  2. Kufell

Kufell Pangalactic Porcupine

Good spot, I agree. I too have noticed a few inconsistencies with the Floran. The main one being how they speak, some of which I've addressed in this topic which you probably noticed, being the post after mine. Mainly inconsistent use of the hiss, pronouns and the plural form of Floran, the latter of which is even inconsistent in the dialog with Nuru you've shown.

Since Nuru was initially shown off, I've had a few issues with the way it was shown off, if I recall correctly, Nuru was described as a Floran Princess, I'm unsure if that has been changed since then but it seemed odd given that Floran are genderless, the title Princess just struck me as unfitting due to the gender meaning behind it. The fact Nuru refers to a father also strikes me as odd. I'd rather see more Floran-esque terminology used in its place, such as the term Coonkin which is already used for family.. I don't recall where I heard that in-game though, I think from a NPC.

It might be worth a topic in 'Ingame and Billing Support", as that is where bugs get posted, and these things are what would generally be considered low-class bugs. I'm unsure if such warrants a topic there though given it's nature. But hopefully the inconsistencies do get picked up. Or at least explained as to why these instances are different.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  3. Wreth

Wreth Phantasmal Quasar

Nuru is not a princess anymore, she is the top hunter I believe.

Florans have never hissed every single s sound in every word, just most of them.

4. Kufell

Kufell Pangalactic Porcupine

Good to know!
    True, in my fixes to the dialog I went a bit overboard, mostly out of personal preference as I very much enjoy the hiss in their speech. Not all Floran even have the hiss at all, as it is stated that some Floran learn to suppress it.

5. Lord-Xanthor

Lord-Xanthor Void-Bound Voyager

Does stealing from the Floran's have any repercussions? Been playing this a week now and part of the quest to obtain knowledge on them had a needed book that was put in one of their homes which is random? Anyway, when I got it I basically got yelled at for stealing so not sure if there is a karma system or not. If there is id say it be a good idea to put an option in to be able to obtain the quest item without stealing.

6. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Not a good thread for it, you should've started a new one entirely, in the General Help section. What you're asking about is gameplay, which is somewhat different from Floran lore discussion. But to answer your question, the only repercussion to stealing from villages, Floran or not, is that the village will eventually turn hostile if you persist. Which means that the guards will attack you on sight from that moment onwards. Other villages are not affected in any way.

When it comes to the original subject, most of that issue is void, as the lore was overhauled entirely. Florans have a habit to bicker amongst each other, and to look for a fight with other tribes; each tribe is a family unit, and they're usually kept in order by their Greenfingers.

Florans are not centralized enough as a race to be fully united however - some fights between tribes will still occur, and while numerous Greenfingers have decided to lead their communities in a more peaceful direction, one can still encounter savage bands who remain entirely hostile to outsiders.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2017