FPS issues with SMAPI?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by disobedientchikorita, Apr 7, 2016.

1. disobedientchikorita

disobedientchikorita Void-Bound Voyager

having fps drops whenever i play with smapi. i tried running it without mods and it doesnt change anything. i dont have any issues when launching the game without smapi.

did anyone experience something similar or has an idea where this could come from?

• ClxS

ClxS Pangalactic Porcupine

Which version are you using? There was a big performance issue in one of the earlier versions that got fixed, and a new performance issue in one of the newer versions that has been fixed now - but there might still be issues for some.

• disobedientchikorita

using version 0.40 :)

• ClxS

Ah, unfortunately you might be one of people who just have poor performance with SMAPI. Future updates will hopefully solve it but other than that there's not much I can suggest, sorry!

• disobedientchikorita

damn... is there anything specific causing this tho? cant be the hardware :/

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

In order to even function, SMAPI is requiring quite a few extra `if` checks every tick, not really anything that can be done about that without building these events directly into the code in question, meaning SMAPI would have to be much bigger and would also be much more prone to breaking.

• ClxS

Mmm if you have pretty good hardware then something funky is going on. Maybe try deactivating your firewall and trying it, but yeah like Entoarox said - SMAPI works by constantly checking the state of the game and for some things that can mean a lot of extra work per frame.
                A future update to SMAPI is going to change it to function like Entoarox mentioned - directly building in the events so there's no huge amount of checking always going on... But it'll be awhile.

• disobedientchikorita