Friendship decay

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UnexpectedParole, Mar 4, 2020.

1. UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

So now that I am nearing the middle of a first winter I'm about to bite the bullet and do an in depth analysis of how to become friends with everyone as efficiently as possible. <ish>.

But before I start doing my calculations on what gifts it will take I had a question the wiki didn't answer.

We all know that if you do not talk to a villager you get -2 friendship for the day, and rummaging in trash is -25 and gifts are bad too.

The question I have is, do we know is there a bottom point value the villagers can have?

For example if I never talk to Elliot after meeting him the first day, and mistakenly gave him a salmon berry for a gift.

Would I be correct in expecting our friendship level after the first year to be at 20 (day 1 talk) -2*111 days of ignorance -40 for the gift = -242 ?

Or does the negative stop at a number like 0, or -150, or something like that?

Anyone?

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

I'd expect it to be 0

But you could test this really easily, by starting a new farm, talking to an NPC on day 1, giving them something they hate a few times, ignore them for a while and then give a high quality loved gift on their birthday

Penny is probably easiest, she hates beer, which you can buy her on day 1, and she loves melons, which you can grow in summer with Fertilizer and get a gold quality one in plenty of time for her birthday in early Fall.

It would probably only take a few minutes to test

• Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm pretty sure it doesn't go below zero. You could probably test it even faster using the Stardew Predictor app - start a new file, gift George a few dandelions, which he hates, and then check your friendship with him in the app.

• KThomas14

KThomas14 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't think it goes below 0 either. I've got a Fall 12 save where I barely talk to anyone, and I've got 3 villagers at 0, but no one below. You can check this from your save file quite easily; just open it with a text editor and search for a villagers name. You should see the Points field in the vicinity.

***Edit*** Assuming you're playing on PC, of course, where you can easily check the save file.

• ThorfinnS

ThorfinnS Orbital Explorer

Pretty sure I tested it back in the day. I'm recalling the same thing.

Pam or Shane are probably the quickest to verify -- they both hate sap, they both love beer, and they both have Spring birthdays.

Just checked a save. All entities in between the friendshipData tags have points tags of at least 0. Since I had not talked to Lewis or Robin (as I'd already met them) they were the only ones with 0. Wait one day, they are still at 0.