Fruit Trees & Planting Orchards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kakuloo, Feb 29, 2016.

1. kakuloo

kakuloo Big Damn Hero

Has anyone been planting fruit trees? I planted an apple tree in late Spring, and now it is Fall...but my apple tree is still a little sapling. I made sure that there are 8 squares of free space around it. (I hoed the 8 squares each day to be sure...but maybe that is why?)

Any one have any info on this? I am afraid to plant my new apricot seedling until I know. They're so expensive!

• Jsschwartzys

Jsschwartzys Poptop Tamer

They only produce fruit in the Spring, and take almost a full month to grow! Patience is definitely needed for an orchard.
      I'm not sure if tilling the land around the sapling will effect it or not, but my fruit trees are surrounded by un-tilled land and are growing fine.

• kakuloo

kakuloo Big Damn Hero

Apples say they produce in fall though. Apricot and cherry are spring. My apples were planted over 28 days ago (more than a month!)

• Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

if you planted it in spring it should have came up in summer

tilling that land made it not grow

i got a cheery tree i planted in winter and and can now pick in spring

• Efa43

Efa43 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Mine seem to be taking a long time too. Definitely more than a month. I think I planted an apricot in early summer and it is the end of fall now and they have grown a little but not much. Don't know what's going on with that... but maybe tilling around them or putting paths around them is a bad thing?

• kakuloo

kakuloo Big Damn Hero

Alright, I will un-till the land and hope that they will grow still =P I'll let you all know my results.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I know this isn't fruit trees, but I have this maple seed that I cannot get to grow, at all, and yes, there's an 8-square radius around it that was not tilled and has absolutely nothing on it.

I planted three trees once I got the ability to make a tapper, I planted them up near the cave. I made sure there were no obstructions and I made sure the trees had a full 8 around them (just like the Tier 2 sprinkler's radius). The Pine and Oak trees grew, but the Maple tree is still in its Day 1 state, just a seed.

I tried pulling up the seed and moving it, but still no growth and it's been 10 days.

• Jsschwartzys

Have you tried using a different seed? Maybe that ones just a dud :p
                  But I have noticed that not all the random tree seeds I've planted have grown, or are in different stages of growth for different amounts of time.

• MimtheCrazy

MimtheCrazy Void-Bound Voyager

Do obstacles around them prevent growing? I have a wall next to mine, and another has a bee box next to it. They're still small? Could that be the case?

• kakuloo

kakuloo Big Damn Hero

HA. Un-tilling the soil worked, the very next day my apple tree has advanced to the next stage of saplingdom. Bummer I didn't figure it our sooner! D= Maybe no apples this fall =<

• Jsschwartzys

Yes, there can't be anything placed or on the 8 tiles surrounding the tree, it won't grow if there is

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

That's kinda stupid, because it's hard to prevent junk from growing/appearing/spawning next to your trees because every other day I look there's rocks, logs, etc next to the trees, bleh.

Could at least allow us to put grass or something there.

• Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

It is the programming - you have to keep an eye on them to make sure nothing grows next to them.
                            I have a cherry tree and a little orange tree and so far they are slowly growing.

• WatcherCCG

WatcherCCG Giant Laser Beams

Maybe put a fence around the orchard. Reports are saying the game stops spawning random crap in places surrounded by a complete fence.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yeah, a tree takes 28 days to grow. I grew the two Spring trees quite easily (started them early fall) and they're fully grown now, as are the oak/pine trees I started.

It's just that stupid maple tree that is giving me trouble. Might have to temporarily stick a tapper on one of the already naturally grown maples for the time being.

• Battlemage

Battlemage Void-Bound Voyager

I placed cobblestone paths around mine thinking I was being clever, keeping things from growing next to the saplings, but the cobblestone itself kept them from growing. Oh well.

Efa43 likes this.
                                  • MimtheCrazy

MimtheCrazy Void-Bound Voyager

This only applies if you have no spawnable materials to begin with in that area- and even then, grass spawns, which spawns weeds, which starts a chain. Also, if the fence hugs a tree, it will likely drop seeds onto the other side of the fence, so just keep the area clear.

My stuff is growing now though, huzzah.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

AFAIK, the game will tell you "Too close to another tree" if you try that. I remember getting that message, and I had to do the 2 spaces in between trees thing.

Of course, this does not prevent natural acorns/maple seeds/pinecones, logs, rocks, etc from messing up your tree growth so make sure you check daily for such debris!

Once your tree is fully matured, you can use crafted pathway items (I used stone pathways for mine) to prevent debris and other trees from springing up next to your fruit trees.

vekomov likes this.
                                      • Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

I think you need to move them apart by one but I'm not 100% sure. Fruit tree's need their 8 surrounding tiles to be unobstructed to grow, and I think once grown their leaves/branches will effectively occupy those tiles making another fruit tree unable to grow if it occupies similar empty tiles.

vekomov likes this.
                                        • bsctgod

bsctgod Void-Bound Voyager

Just tried this last night. Apparently they can't "share" open spaces. The game said it was too close to another tree.

vekomov likes this.