Fruit Trees & Planting Orchards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kakuloo, Feb 29, 2016.

1. SoulOfSorin

SoulOfSorin Phantasmal Quasar

In fact put path around the trees is a good idea AFTER they are fully grown, it prevents crap to spawn. But during the process, nothing but patience and a look every day to make sure no shit has spawn in your beautiful orchard.

vekomov likes this.
    • Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Don't even allow grass to grow, because grass will in fact halt a tree's growth (but yet for some retarded stupid reason, Oak/Pine/Maple trees can grow wall-to-wall and right next to your fruit trees, lol)

• Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

I think it's to do with the worth of wood vs the worth of the fruit from fruit trees. Oak trees etc are only valued for their wood which is inexpensive and required in large amounts for much of your crafting and building so it makes sense that there will be more of those packed together than a fruit tree which is worth (potentially) substantially more.

• Deleth

Deleth Space Penguin Leader

OOOOOO
          OXOOXO
          OOOOOO
          OOOOOO
          OXOOXO
          OOOOOO

Set them up like this and they're going to grow. Tilled soil, gras, anything else to the point where they're fully grown in any of the "O" spaces will prevent them from growing.

@Xylia, it's not retarded at all but actually makes sense, CA had a reason for when he did this. The fruit trees do not naturally occur, they do not spread and thus are already set up by the player. Natural trees "grow wild" with seeds and such. if the same limitation applied to them most seeds would be stunted right away and never grow as there's other seeds and random clutter close to them/can fall at any time. Even then when a large ammount of wild trees are growing right next to one another, the mayority stay in the phase right before adult tree, never making the last growth before the bordering mature tree has been removed.

Either way, I'm pretty sure CA has a specific vision and amount of realism he wants in his game. Being able to grow trees right next to one another or other things is probably a decent ways outside of his vision of the game and the amount of realism it should have.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well, I dunno. I got a Deluxe Coop, Deluxe Barn, 4 silos and both house upgrades. I have 1100 wood in my chests, and I have a few of each crafting machine made up, and half of my farmland is still covered with trees and debris.

I highly doubt that a lack of wood should ever cause problems for anybody. And besides, ain't wood like 20g from Robin? That's a whopping 2000g for 100 wood. If you ever ran out of wood, you can buy an infinite amount from her.

As for the fruit trees being spaced, I never said I disagree with it. What I don't like, is how the wild trees can grow so close to each other so fast. Trying to clear your farm out wholesale is ridiculously hard to do because of how stinkin' fast new trees grow up. At this rate I'll have 10k wood before I finally get my farmland cleared.

• Indigo Rose

Indigo Rose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you ever do any big crafting project (like making 128 beehives *cough*) you'll quickly find yourself running out of wood even after chopping down every tree in the valley multiple times.

I am the harbinger of the Treepocalypse.

CornWaterer likes this.
              • Budzilla

Budzilla Subatomic Cosmonaut

You are not supposed to till the soil around the trees.

• Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

That sucks, heh.

Once it's grown it can have grass and stuff around it, can't it? I remember reading that people suggested using the 'off season' fruit tree sections as areas for growing grass (though, of course, that's offs eason).

At the very least, we should be able to put the PAVING items around it, though...so we can at least prevent things from spawning while it grows up.

For the NORMAL trees, if you plant can THOSE share the "empty spaces", or do they follow the same "full growth" rules as the fruit trees (though they'll drop seeds and stuff).

As in...which of these would it be?

O O O O O
                  O X O X O
                  O O O O O
                  O X O X O
                  O O O O O

OR

O O O O O O
                  O X OO X O
                  O O O O O O
                  O O O O O O
                  O X O O X O
                  O O O O O O

I basically want to know how close together I can grow the "default" trees so that they'll fully grow and I can place tappers on them to make a tap farm.

Also...do the fruit trees drop seeds/saplings as well, or is the only way you can get those seeds through Pierre and/or other merchants?

EDIT: Also, can you have pavers AROUND the trees when they're fully grown, even when the trees are in season and producing fruits? The same stands true for grass. Once the trees are fully grown, is it possible to plant grass seeds and let the grass grow in there as well...even if the trees are producing fruits?

I know it's possible when they aren't, but...yeah. ^^

• SoulOfSorin

SoulOfSorin Phantasmal Quasar

As I said sooner you can put path around the tree after they are fully grown, it's even a good idea. No probleme at all concernig the fruit production.

As for the pattern ... Well i know that the first one let the pinecones / seed / acorn become small trees, but i don't know if they can fully grow as i never let them do.

• KKGB

KKGB Space Penguin Leader

ok so u can put stuff in the tiles around a tree when they've fully matured?

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yes, when they are fully matured, but not before. That's when you gotta watch out to make sure nothing "lands" in those squares. It only takes one tiny acorn landed in the square north of a half-grown fruit tree to halt it's growth, and given that acorns are only a few pixels in size, you might not see it right away.

• KKGB

KKGB Space Penguin Leader

oh that's good, i was pretty sad that i couldnt make nice orchard paths

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Don't forget to check the stone paths (or whatever kinda paths you use) now and then. For some reason, they like to disappear randomly every so often. I've had 2-3 squares disappear on me by now for no apparent reason.

• Budzilla

Budzilla Subatomic Cosmonaut

You probably accidentally hit them with a pickaxe/axe and didn't notice.

• CornWaterer

CornWaterer Tentacle Wrangler

I chop down trees in town at night because I am ashamed.

• Tetigistus

Tetigistus Hey, You!

Does this apply to oak/maple/pine trees? Because I planted a bunch of maple trees to harvest syrup, but I put them in a line. They seem stuck in various stages of early growth, but a month later they haven't matured. The wild ones seem to pop up everywhere, so I thought this only applied to fruit trees.

• Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

They definitely pop up everywhere, but there's a ton of just 'mini saplings' that are just like the trunks of trees. There's definitely a limit. I just don't know if they have the same 'one tree in a 3x3 area' limit as the fruit trees do.

I'd like to know the answer to this in particular, because it changes how i'm going to plan my tapping farm, heh. Whether or not I can put just 1 space between each non-fruit tree seed and have them grow to full or not...or if I HAVE to do two spaces between them (even though they aren't fruit trees =p) makes a huge different. ^^

• natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

So does this mean that I can't put cobble pavement or another pathway in the 8 squares around the tree? That would be good to know, I've yet to plant any fruit trees but I also wanted to make the place look nice and prevent anything wild from growing (even though wild plants may not, I don't know yet).

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

You can, but only after they are fully grown. And yes, wild plants will grow until you do, and yes, they WILL block the tree from growing if you don't get rid of it fast.

• Fabianelf

Fabianelf Void-Bound Voyager

ohh so this is why mine are not growing! and I was thinking they were not growing because it's winter