Fruit Trees & Planting Orchards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kakuloo, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Dodging Rain

Dodging Rain Phantasmal Quasar

[​IMG]

Tetigistus likes this.
    • SoulOfSorin

SoulOfSorin Phantasmal Quasar

From my own experience the growth of those trees are a litlle bit more random, i had some trees in less than a month and some in more than two month, except the fact that they can have been late because of an unseen acorn. ^^

Tetigistus likes this.
      • ThePIT

ThePIT Subatomic Cosmonaut

Fot those who have trouble findiing good spot for their fruit trees I have some useful tips, look:[​IMG]
        First - You can plant your trees on the untillable grass titles. That solves your problem with random grass/weeds/drops from trees etc. :)
        Second - As you can see I was also able to plant west fall fruit trees next to natural perma obstacles like farm fence and house, left tree has 3 top surrounding titles blocked by fence and right tree 3 blocked by fence + 3 blocked by house from the bottom, they still grew without any problems! I'm about to plant new was next to
        And again remember to not put ANYTHING next to them as they are growing, no chests, tiled soil, scarecrows etc. etc.

My next plan is to plant more trees next to greenhouse on the grass and next to hillock behind GH on this spots: (if I will enounter any problems with growing them I will post here again):
        [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
          Caudyr and Lanx12 like this.
        • Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

That's interesting, but yet from a programmer's PoV, I can understand why this happens.

The game is checking for "blank" squares, as in, "no objects". The pieces of the map (the fence that's always there, etc) do not count as "objects" as you can't interact with them and I reckon the Greenhouse counts similar. The game will look at the greenhouse tiles and go "Yup, no objects exist on this tile, so it's good." just like it does with the outer fence, outer wall, etc.

Obviously, objects CAN'T exist on that tile, but that doesn't stop the tree from growing, lol.

I never thought to try this, haha.

EDIT: Though I would not be surprised if this eventually got patched....

• Lanx12

Lanx12 Ketchup Robot

So i've had some really good success with doing Orchards with a barn full of kegs. I was wondering tho is anyone got a decent price guide on the differnt fruite trees? I'm just cruious as to what they all cost but havent had time to really sit down and do the math. Also love what ya did @ThePIT thats nice to know about the extra spots.

• ThePIT

ThePIT Subatomic Cosmonaut

That could be true... but remember that once the trees are fully grown u can put whatever you want next to them... so with that new patch matured trees would still bear their fruits... which means... PLANT YOUR TREES ASAP AND RUSH THE WHOLE MONTH GO GO GO! xD

To be honest I don't think any of the fruit tree is a smart decision moneywise, from what I checked you need around 2 years to just get the money back for buiyng the sappling.
              Also from what I saw you can't even get silver and gold stars on them (unless I missed something, but all mines are no-star atm).
              I planted that tress just for bundles, gifts and cooking. Maybe in future I might add some just for a cosmetic purposes.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
              • Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

http://stardewvalleywiki.com/Fruit_Trees
                Yeah, I'm honestly not entirely sure why there are starred listings on the wiki, unless that's just the "standard formula" for starring items applied to these as well or something like that...

That said, I think they're still worth it...cause they're painless to deal with once you get them to grow. I don't even bother with them during Year 1, though...I usually plant the spring ones on Winter 1, though...which means I need around 50k gold for that, heh...cause I always plant at least 6 of each, just cause I LIKE ORCHARDS OMG! ^^

• Imma

Imma Intergalactic Tourist

You have to plant 2 seasons ahead - i.e. Fall producing trees plant in Spring etc..

• Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

Never had this problem. I can plant my trees on the first day of spring, and they'll fruit on the first day of summer...unless something gets in their way one day or something like that. ^^

The first thing I do whenever I start a new game, is when Winter 1 comes I go and buy the Spring fruit trees and put them down. I do normally get the summer ones down before winter ends as well, but the spring ones are usually ready without any problems.

• ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

Since it says 8 squares, looking at how the sprinklers work ((and take this with a grain of salt never planted trees yet)) I'd guess that would mean 2 squares of the tree?
                      ((Since iridium for example is 2 rows of 3 on each side of the sprinkler from what I've observed.))

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Basically, take a 3x3 grid:

The tree goes in #5. There cannot be anything in squares 1 through 9 (at least until the tree grows up, then you can put stuff there to prevent debris/natural tree spawns); it works just like a quality sprinkler (not iridium).

Now if you want a second tree, beside it, you'd do this:

123ABC
                        456DEF
                        789GHI

The 2nd tree would go in square E.

You cannot put the tree in Square D.

• ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

Ahh that makes sense thanks. ((Kinda Harvest Moon-esque planting in which it is figured by 3x3 and each 3x3 is an independent structure?))