1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Game closes after launch

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Sincere Void, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Sincere Void

Sincere Void Space Spelunker

I've tried reinstalling them but it still crashes after the Chucklefish logo appears. The screen starts white, then the logo with the animation, and then it just... closes. No "Starbound has stopped responding", it just closes.
    Here's my log for this: (sorry, I have a lot of mods)

https://pastebin.com/qDHYZEnA

2. tigerfestival

tigerfestival Cosmic Narwhal

Here's your issue. [Error] Application: exception thrown, shutting down: (ItemException) Duplicate item name 'volcanium' found

Duplicate items causes crashing, that means two or more mods have the same item, unsub each mod one by one and start up the game after each unsub until you find the problem. I hope this helps you. Cheers!

Iris Blanche likes this.
  3. Sincere Void

uhhh, tried just unsubscribing from every mod I have, literally did not change. How do I fix this now?

scratch that, I can open starbound by going directly into the files, but opening from steam doesn't work. Doesn't open still. But this is without workshop mods

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2019
  4. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Its a mod incompatibility as stated above. Since you're frackin universe you are most likely running into problems by having mods that are already integrated in FU or share the same ID. I can see FFS being one of the dupes here. This list contains some incompatible mods to frackin universe: https://frackinuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Incompatible_Mods

Make a backup of your storage folder, disable all mods except frackin universe and enable one mod after another and see when you run into this issue. Once you encounter this problem you found the incompatible mod which you cant use then.
    The storage backup can be mandatory in order to keep your current progress without risking corrupt character and/or universe files due to mod checking. It is also mandatory to launch starbound after each enabled mod.

5. Sincere Void

That's not my issue anymore. After reinstalling the game, unsubscribing from all mods, it still does the same thing. Steam says its playing, no window pops up, and then it closes. Here is the log for this: https://pastebin.com/Eagqe42r

6. Iris Blanche

The log shows no error. According to the log everything loaded, the game was for around 13 seconds in the mainmenu and then closed. Was it launched via steam with this session? The log shows that the game couldn't access steam.
    Any antivirus software running? If yes try adding starbound to the exception list. Some antivirus software goes nuts with starbound for whatever reason.

If the log isn't the actual one it might be the case that starbound is not allowed to access its own directory. This can happen with some antivirus software as well. Sometimes its also enough to try launching starbound as admin tho i'd recommend this step only as last resort because it can have some side effects in some rare cases.

7. Sincere Void

how can I run as admin? also, I don't have anti-virus running.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  8. Iris Blanche

This step depends on your OS but mostly its just right click on the executable and select "run as administrator". When you want to run starbound through steam as admin, steam would have to run as admin too and the steps would be different by using compatibility settings. However i do NOT recommend this step unless you know what you're doing because changing this for steam can affect all your other games as well.

Given the fact that you reinstalled starbound i assume that the old storage folder is still present. Try renaming it so it doesnt get lost and that starbound can create a new storage folder. If it cant create one its a permission problem with your OS.

9. Sincere Void

did that, and nothing changed. The executable is running as admin as it gives me the window to run starbound.exe. Basically, right now, my problem hasn't changed at all. What did I break???

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  10. Iris Blanche

Did you rename the storage folder? If yes, was a new one created? If yes, was a log created? If yes, please post the log then.

11. Sincere Void

no need to worry anymore, it got fixed. Fixed, as in, starbound fucked up and deleted my entire save file. But the game works, and can run through steam with mods. amazing

tigerfestival likes this.