Game Controls and System Requirements ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by goran9377, Jul 1, 2013.

1. goran9377

goran9377 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am curious about game controls. I think they are very important for gaming experience, so I think they should be implemented properly and made customizable (different controllers, keyboards, ...) and maybe even an option to use simple mode (kind of below example from HM game)or advanced mode (more keys for various things? you decide). I'm writing this because in the gameplay there was often I think accidental unwanted action, so with some kind of variation or the same below example could be implemented and will avoid unwanted actions. For example if you want to give something to someone instead of eating it, etc... And when I think of customization I mean every key in the game (well maybe except the quick slot keys).

CONTROLS
    L Button whistle for your pet
    D-Pad scroll through menu, move character
    Start Button pause game
    X Button eat food
    Y Button activate tool, place item
    A Button pick up item, throw item, talk, open door, read
    B Button run, jump

ADVANCED CONTROLS
    R Button + X Button equips next available item
    R Button + B Button switch between equipped tool and next available tool
    R Button + Y Button switch between equipped tool and previous available tool
    R Button + A Button extract next available produce, ore, flower or ingredient

---------------------------------

And another thing I'm curious are the system requirements.

I know that the game isn't finished and that there will be probably further optimizations, but if you could estimate the requirements I'll be glad to know them.

AND please excuse me if I'm bothering you. It's really not my intention.

A N D the game is getting better and better and you are a very kind and friendly and PATIENT developer (I think it's rare in these days) and keep up the gooooooooooooood work !!! :)

• Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I would assume that there is key customization in there. After all, many games have it these days. Controller support would also be possible, but I personally prefer the good old mouse and keyboard.

BurningMercury likes this.
      • oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

I don't think there's controller support. Don't quote me on that, it's just what I think.

I do like the idea of keyboard customization.

• Lumina

Lumina Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Keyboard first, controller always come later in some form of a patch perhaps. From the gameplay videos, the game seems to be more suited for keyboard. A controller may end up being a handicap if it existed for the game.

• Thorin

Thorin Pangalactic Porcupine

Definitely hoping on keyboard customization first, as I'm left handed when playing games.
            And I'm not using the arrow keys either ;) but the keys UHJK (instead of WASD). With this there are enough keys around it so that I don't have to move much with the right hand going all over the place.

• Cygen

Cygen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

System Requirements are also something that I would be interested in.

And for those that want to play with a Controller instead of keybord there are a lot of free programms that can place specific keys on Controller Buttons. I myself use XPadder for games with no Controller support

• claudekennilol

claudekennilol Space Kumquat

That's a very naive thing to say--that controller support "always" comes later. I've played PC only games that don't even have mouse/keyboard implementation.

Right, but it's not optimal. A game with dedicated controller support will always exceed what xpadder can do (unless you're using it to remap controller buttons to other controller buttons because that option was left out of the game), especially in cases that involve clicking on locations on the screen.

Obviously this can be with a controller, it just needs to be implemented. First step would be to add keyboard navigation to the GUI (so menu buttons and menu navigation), once that's done, it's simply just mapping the shortcut buttons to controller buttons. But if there are parts of the GUI that can only be interacted with via the mouse, then that's where it won't be fun using xpadder (or similar). Not to in any way demean what CA has done, but it's not like there's anything here far beyond the scope of what Harvest Moon or Rune Factory did in the terms of controlling the game. I've seen videos that involve clicking on a square of land to interact with it, so also it will involve adding "what square is in front of me so I can interact with it" logic, if that's not already in the game.

Obviously I don't know the implementation of the game and what is and isn't included. The sooner controller support gets added the easier it will be to support. Throwing systems in at the end takes careful planning, work, and testing to make sure it works as expected and adequately. Too many games do this in reverse and add mouse/keyboard at the end after developing for consoles and it sorely shows because they obviously don't spend enough time making sure the controls are even playable.

But in the end, this game will be perfectly playable with mouse/keyboard. If controller support is added (and it definitely can be, just takes time) then we'll have that, too.

• Evinagro

Evinagro Cosmic Narwhal

If you want to be nostalgic(like Mother series)
                  Grab an SNES/NES controller, somehow connect it to your computer then use those controls