1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Game does not load - Steam indicates "Running" then "Syncing" then no SB

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by detsurt, Aug 22, 2016.

1. detsurt

detsurt Space Hobo

Specs: MacBook Air 1.7 GHz i5 8GB RAM OS X 10.8.5
    Steam is up-to-date, Starbound is up-to-date.

Downloaded and installed Starbound (and deleted and reinstalled to make sure; also verified game files). Click "Play" in Steam. Game does not load - Steam indicates "Running" then "Syncing", but no Starbound window; then then Steam stops indicating any status for the game (goes back to "Starbound" instead of "Starbound - Syncing").

Console shows:
    Message: ([0x0-0x4e04e].com.chucklefish[605]) Exited with code: 1
    The hex value 0x0-0x4e04e increments by one in an interesting fashion each time I run the app. (4e became 4f, then 50... e.g.: 0x0-0x4f04f ... 0x0-0x50050

Please help.

2. detsurt

detsurt Space Hobo

And for the record, I don't know what the asterisk in `/Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/*/Starbound.app/Contents/MacOS/starbound/storage/` would be ... there is no * folder, I believe that's a reserved character (from community.playstarbound.com/threads/how-to-submit-bug-reports.119415/)

... however, when I open the starbound.app and look in ./Contents/MacOS, the only thing there is run.sh (shell script).

3. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

Do you have mods ?

4. detsurt

detsurt Space Hobo

No, no mods, sorry. Pure 'vanilla' install.

5. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

So your game is vanilla with the lastt version and it don't work ? strange , didi you try search topic about mac user ? maybe its related to the OS ?

(im on windows so if its the case i dont know :/)

6. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

So your game is vanilla with the lastt version and it don't work ? strange , didi you try search topic about mac user ? maybe its related to the OS ?

(im on windows so if its the case i dont know :/)

7. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

8. detsurt

detsurt Space Hobo

Wow. Wish I'd've known they were going to obsolete support for my OS *before* buying FOUR COPIES of the game!!! :lod: :mad: :fireball: :down: :urgh: :whaaat: :chrono:

9. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

10. detsurt

detsurt Space Hobo

A piece of software forcing me to change my OS to continue support for that software should be considered malicious, not helpful. No thanks.

I'm not sure that there is something that changed in .9 that is required to support Starbound, but I can tell you with certainty that other portions of the OS are increasingly crippled (bluetooth protocols removed from the kernel, etc.), so my choice not to "upgrade" (Read: hamstring) my OS shouldn't restrict my ability to play a game that essentially announced support at a certain level previously (10.7 and even 10.6?) ... simply to be arbitrarily changed by developers. I should have known; I was warned about the stupidity of supporting a game in development before the final version was released: Devs take the money and change their tune, break promises, etc. Thanks for reminding me why I should have listened to the warnings and not bought Starbound. FTR, I also would have taken at least five other users with me. I'll be sure to share the "crappiness" that is this situation and regard things developed by the Chucklefish team as suspect until finished in the future.

I'm serious: If you can tell me where it was announced with mac support that a minimum of OS X 10.9 was all that would be supported, I'll eat these words, but this is just another in a long line of disappointments. I played Terraria and was part of the get-it-working-on-mac community, actively supporting other players and encouraging them to *buy* the game, and then helping to get it running. I hosted dedicated servers before there was a dedicated server executable. You people keep burning your biggest supporters.

11. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

in specs :V
    numbtydumpty.PNG

12. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

19gap4.jpg
    Or if you need just blame
    19gaqr.jpg