1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Game Is Broken and Unplayable

Discussion in 'Support' started by HappyVeganFarmer, May 28, 2018.

1. HappyVeganFarmer

HappyVeganFarmer Master Chief

I've been dealing with this for a month now and have received no help on Steam so I thought I'd try here.

Ever since the co-op update, my game has been broken. It started with trying to start a host farm for multiplayer. As soon as it came to saving the game to start the first day, the game crashed. I tried this four times and it crashed every time. If I play on someone else's farm, the game doesn't crash at save and runs (mostly) fine.

Then I tried to play single-player afterwords and that crashes in the same way now too. It also erases the save file every time it crashes. I can recover that save file by going into the game files and renaming the save. I've been playing for a month this way, having to recover the file each time after each day.

And now the game has glitched the gift system and won't roll over every week. It's been a season and a half in-game and the chart still says I've given everyone two gifts for the week. At this point, it's impossible to play the game because I can't get anywhere with it. It's broken to the point of unplayable and I don't want to wait around for an update to fix it when I should be able to play this game I paid for as I please.

Please, someone, if anyone has had this problem or knows how to fix it, please help me. I want to keep playing this game but at this point I see no option other than buying it for my PS4 and playing it there instead. I'm almost on year 5 in my main game (on my laptop) and now I can't progress with it in this state. Please help. :(

• margotbean

margotbean Existential Complex

The co-op update is in beta testing. Just opt out of the beta and restore the backup save you made before opting in.

• HappyVeganFarmer

If I opt-out of the beta, the game files become bald sprites with 500 g set to each and no time clocked. Clicking on either save crashes the game. I've also tried reinstalling and verifying the integrity of the game files. Still having the same problems.

• margotbean

Unfortunately v1.3 save files aren't compatible with v1.2. That's why the devs put a big bold warning on Steam (and these forums) that you should back up your save files before opting in.

Katzeus likes this.
          • HappyVeganFarmer

Well shit. Wish I would have seen it before hand. Is there just no way to recover it then? Thank you for your help, by the way. I appreciate someone finally talking to me about this.

Slight update. I tried opting out of the beta and starting a new game but that game still crashes too. Don't know if I can do anything about this now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2018
            • margotbean

It sounds to me like Steam is still launching the beta version. Most extreme method of fixing: Close steam, delete the game, reopen steam, make sure you're opted out of the beta, redownload and reinstall the game.

• HappyVeganFarmer

I did try doing what Steam called a complete wipe of the game last night. I uninstalled the game, went to the game files, deleted all data for Stardew Valley, deleted all the saves (after saving them somewhere else) and then reinstalled which sounds pretty similar to what you mentioned but as soon as I reinstalled the game, it was in beta-mode and the save files re-appeared as if nothing was amiss. I may not have closed Steam when I did this though so I'll try again and see what it does. Again, thank you so much for your help.

• _Keru_

_Keru_ The Court

You need to disable Steam Cloud for Stardew Valley in order to get rid of 1.3.x config file and saves.

margotbean likes this.
                  • HappyVeganFarmer

I don't know why or how but after I uninstalled and reinstalled it again it just... started working. I was intending on just playing it bugged like I had but then suddenly it didn't crash at the end of the day and then the gifts rolled over. I don't know how. The save file for one of my characters, the one I was playing, has two new game files in the folder. They look identical to the other two files but with a "_old" at the end. I'd like to know how this happened but I'm just happy it's finally running like it should after over a month of this agony. Thank you to those who helped.

• margotbean

I wouldn't have remembered that at all, good advice!
                      You're welcome, now go forth and make backup saves frequently!

• HappyVeganFarmer

LOL I will for sure. I promise I've learned my lesson.

_Keru_ and margotbean like this.
                        • HappyVeganFarmer

So... the game started crashing again without warning. I've been backing up my save files so I replaced them with the corrupted saves and those files still crash as well. I have no idea why.

• parabolic paradise

parabolic paradise Subatomic Cosmonaut

Might it be a computer problem, rather than a Steam/SDV issue? If you're getting crashes on brand new files then it probably isn't an issue with the saves themselves, and if everything verifies correctly then it probably isn't an issue with the game files. I'm not sure if it happening on a fresh Steam Client would indicate it not being a Steam problem (I use Steam, but I don't really know Steam), but you could maybe try that too.

I had a minor Stardew Valley issue after a recent Windows update; it would freeze for a few seconds on startup and closing. I tried restarting the computer, I tried everything I could think of with Stardew Valley and Steam...I even tried ripping that update out of my computer, to no avail. Ultimately I ended up reinstalling Windows entirely, and that fixed it. I think the time I wasted trying to fix this minor problem outweighed the time I would have lost to my personal bug, but your problem is major enough that it might be worth looking into. If you have a Restore Point set back when SDV wasn't crashing, I'd give that a go, just to help rule out a software issue.

margotbean likes this.