1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Game Mutation Ideas

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Beardtastic, May 8, 2013.

1. Beardtastic

Beardtastic Master Chief

Considering the success of the Kickstarter has led to certain "Game Mutators" for the finished edition of RoR which will add some spice to the gameplay, what are some you guys are looking forward to or would like to see? Personally, Double Spawn looks like it'll be a favorite of mine, and a Double Cash mode would make grinding pay out more in a very literal sense. :p

plasmaman2 likes this.
    • DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I personally would like to see something like "only boss mode" where all mobs replaced by bosses. Yes, I can imagine that it can make game to lag, but this is also quite fun!

Lost in Nowhere likes this.
      • Nixeras

Nixeras Subatomic Cosmonaut

Lemurian Invasion: All lizardmen all the time. Instead of any other enemy hordes of lemurians spawn. Say instead of a boss there would be about 50-60 of them. Instead of some of the tougher enemies there would be 15-20ish. These would come in all colors and assortments ramping up from just the default purple ones to insane masses of the hardest lemurians available.

Edit: Instead, just call the Invasion mutator Swarm and enable selection of an enemy type. Swarm: Lizardmen, Swarm: Golems, Swarm: Wisps. So on and so forth.

Item Specification: Select a type (From the types used to classify items, such as biological) and only that type of item will drop. You can only find items you've already found if you use this Mutator.

Regen: All enemies have regeneration based on a percentage of their max health.

Jumbo: Boosts the size of enemies and player characters, would make things a bit difficult as certain things that presented obstacles before (Small gaps or rises) would do nothing to hinder enemy movement.

Safeties Locked: Deal no damage with abilities, only knockbacks or stuns. Removes the enemy limit on teleporters. Certain items will still damage enemies normally. (Barbed Wire, Drones, etc.)
        During this mode your money will slowly rise, so as to be able to afford chests and items in the beginning of the game. (Barbed Wire, Drones, etc.)

Edit: Instead, just call the Invasion mutator Swarm and enable selection of an enemy type. Swarm: Lizardmen, Swarm: Golems, Swarm: Wisps. So on and so forth.

Restarter000 likes this.
        • Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

Only Boss Mode sounds like great fun. Nixeras's Swarm and Item Specification ideas sound interesting too. I'd like to see a Familiars Only Mode, in which only Drones and other familiars spawn as items - I'm a sucker for familiars in games.

• Nixeras

This isn't as much a mutator as it is a different game mode. Sort of. It also very much depends on online multiplayer so until that's a possibility this won't be. What I was thinking is an option you can turn on that allows other players to invade your game via a special semi-rare event that only occurs in mid-high level areas: A wormhole. The wormhole would transport them to your zone and their mission there would be to stop you from reaching your teleporter, because teleporters only have one charge. They would have to kill you, or you kill them. Whoever wins gets a few or all of the other players items, a large percentage of their experience, and all of the other players money. It's a high risk/high reward situation and is completely optional, but I think some people would have a lot of fun with it.

Perhaps also just a straightforward pvp mode, maybe with a few special maps that include spawners, shops, and bases. This one isn't as dependent on online multiplayer, but it would make it sooo much more fun. I could see pvp in this game being amazing and something that I would be interested in, even though for most games I am not a pvp player. One thing I will say though, is that if this game DOES get pvp of any sort, and anything ever needs to be balanced for pvp such as skills or items... PLEASE make those stat changes seperate from singleplayer or "PvE". Nerfing stuff in the rest of the game due to pvp is a very unfortunate side-effect of pvp systems.

Beardtastic likes this.
            • Bluerooste42

Bluerooste42 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Dark Souls?

• Nixeras

Yeah after I had explained the idea I realized how much it sounded like the Dark Souls invasion system. Either way I think it would be a fun game mode and would definitely add to the challenge. Though now that I think about it if you do get items from your defeated enemy the game will have to keep you from obtaining items you haven't unlocked yet.

• Bluerooste42

Bluerooste42 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[Not quoting for the sake of not starting up a quote pyramid]
                  I do think the invasion system would be cool, but it'd have to be balanced, such as taking level and items into accord. Of course, level could be flat out matched, with maybe a little change, such as +1-2 and -1-2, but items would need to be assigned "point values", and the sum of all the items point values would also need to be relatively the same, or else one person will just get stomped.

• Shrooblord

What would happen if you win in someone else's world? Are you transported back to your own or do you take over theirs? And if you lose in their world, you die, right? Are invading players in alliance with the monsters, or does it become PvPvE?

This would be a great feature, especially with online multiplayer involved. It'd be nice if you had some kind of forewarning though, even if a brief three seconds beforehand the screen flashes (like when a Vagrant appears) or something similarly indicative.

• Beardtastic

Beardtastic Master Chief

First off, PvP sounds insane in this game, in the best of ways. :D

Second, I'd figure that enemies would stop spawning and it would announce that you need to protect the teleporter and enact a sort of timer-less Boss-phase, with the other player as the boss. If you defeat the invader, then you continue as usual. If the invader defeats you, you die then and there (maybe with a PvP-specific unlockable/note from the invader), and the invader continues to your teleporter either to the next level or out of game, if it's a mid-game or PvP-specific mode, that is.

• Shrooblord

The invading player should have an 'evil' skin: say the Commando invades and this invading Commando is shown wearing black clothes, with glowing red eyes piercing his golden helmet.

Beardtastic likes this.
                        • Pongozila

Pongozila Void-Bound Voyager

How about DOUBLE TIME... time goes by twice as fast... game is at least twice as hard! Hell yeah! Acctually it's even more than twice as hard!
                          I like doing this with CE... It's quite fun to see how long I last... not much... but it's pretty fun... even platforming is a pain... LOL!

• Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

Assuming you mean quotes within quotes. When you quote someone on these forums, it doesn't copy anything that they had in quote tags, you have to add those manually if you want.
                            I just wanted to say this, I don't think teleporters have a monster limit to begin with. The only limitation seems to be how many points the Director has.

• Nixeras

What I meant by that was that you have to kill all the enemies before you can use the teleporter. It's not really a limit so much as a requirement. If you can't deal any damage, you'll have a hard time killing enemies so I think the requirement of killing all those enemies should be lifted. Those enemies would still spawn, just wouldn't need to be killed.

• needsomemiracle

needsomemiracle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Low gravity:
                                - Jump height miltiplied by 3
                                - Fall damage divided by 3
                                - Earthbound enemies can jump

Forever likes this.
                                • Matanui3

Matanui3 Phantasmal Quasar

How about "Crappy Laptop" mode, where everything slows down! Oh, wait, that happens to me sometimes anyway.
                                  On the plus side, it does effectively boost my reaction time...

Goreness likes this.
                                  • Ifrit

Ifrit Starship Captain

Simple idea I have is to have random enemies. As of right now it seems each level has it's set of bad guys to fight and different bosses to each level as well, why not have it that any enemy and boss (With the exception of the Cremators of cause =p) can spawn on any level? (Like mushrooms in the dried lake for example)

a_guy_named_bread likes this.
                                    • needsomemiracle

needsomemiracle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Limited resources:
                                      - At the beginning the game chooses 10 items
                                      - Only these 10 items drop for the duration of the game

This changes the game in a way that you will have a low range of items but a huge stack of each. A gamble, basically. Or rather, even more of a gamble than already is :)

Forever and Wasd_wasd like this.
                                      • Shrooblord

That gave me another idea:
                                        • You may choose up to 20 Items you begin with at the very start of the game, making you as massively overpowered as you like, but after that, no other Items drop - ever! You'll have to make due with what you got at the start.

Wasd_wasd likes this.
                                        • Shrooblord

Bumping because this thread is nice - also, a new idea:

Best Friends Forever! ... FOREVER
                                          A Co-Op mode that truly brings out the cooperative in co-op players ... or death! Everything is now shared: HP, XP and items. There's one healthbar, but twice the damage in the form of item application. Can you work together well enough to ensure both of you stay alive...?