Modding Discussion Generate Structures

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Artinnio, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Artinnio

Artinnio Guest

Hey, is there a mod available which lets you generate any of the random structures in the game? I've wanted to be able to have different planets themed in different ways (A desert planet filled with Avian structures, forest filled with Glitch structures, Jungle filled with Floran... etc)

So... Yeah, just wondering if there is a tool or a mod out there which lets you put down a beacon (like the villagers) and when you leave the planet it generates the structure, I think it'd be cool to have

Thanks

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

3. Artinnio

Artinnio Guest

Aye, I have that, it's a shame it doesn't suck up the NPC's with it, it's strange having a barren Apex city...

4. Eh... That's possible, but Pil just didn't do it. Not to mention, we didn't really have the Lua API like we do now when he originally made it way back when.

If we had a way to parse those .structure files and the images, it could be do-able... But thats the biggest and most obvious roadblock right now.

5. Glu

Glu Void-Bound Voyager

You can create villagers with the spawn table

6. Artinnio

Artinnio Guest

I'd offer to help you but coding is not my forte... Unless there is something simple you'd need doing, and that:
    I'm assuming that allows you to place creatures?

7. No. Spawning creatures is a walk in the park... that's not something I'm worried about.

Then again... Spawning structures isn't hard either... it's trying to spawn vanilla assets from the pictures is the issue

8. Artinnio

Artinnio Guest

I'm assuming because they are randomly pieced together, instead of just as one big pre-set structure?

9. Storm_UK

Storm_UK Existential Complex

I've been messing around with 'prefabricated' building blueprints which I previously used in my old graviton elevator mod for quick construction.

[​IMG]

It takes quite a while to create the necessary graphics and object data for each structure however, so this project is gonna take a long time before I reach a stage I feel this would be ready to release.

10. tagrimo

tagrimo Space Hobo

Something you could do is the /placedungeon command
    https://starbounder.org/mediawiki/index.php?search=/placedungeon&title=Special:Search&fulltext=Search
    The command will even fill the structures with npc's specific to that structure